Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 07-24-2014, 09:12 PM   #16
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Unless your goal is to duplicate that specific edition of the book IMO you're fine either way and it doesn't seem the kind of change that needs elaborate notation. You're not really changing the word and either spelling is accepted for the time period.
Thanks for all the responses; it seems that there are various opinions available.

But your comment, AnemicOak, makes me think of yet another facet to the discussion. If I expected the ebook to be read by people in the 19th century I would of course (as best I can) use the spelling, punctuation, and hyphenation that they were used to. But I am designing the ebooks for people in the 21st century. I certainly think the the books are worth reading and are enjoyable today.

I'm afraid I don't see a logical reason to use the spelling, punctuation, and hyphenation in fashion in the 19th century in a book intended to be read in the
21st century. Can anyone give me a rational reason why I should?

Perhaps I should mention that I have clearly stated that I have changed spelling, punctuation, and hyphenation in my 'Preface to this edition' in the ebooks I've done recently. I'm trying out different wordings.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:07 AM   #17
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
If you modernize the spelling and include a note saying that you have modernized the spelling, it would be extremely unreasonable for anyone to complain. Do what you want, and tell potential readers what you've done, I say.

(I read an edition of some of Austen's unfinished, with her original spelling left intact, and was torn out of the story all the time by her "freind" and "freindship", so personally I'm all for updated spelling.)

Thanks for uploading these books, by the way! I read and enjoyed Queen of Hearts some time ago.
hildea is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2014, 08:57 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Thanks for all the responses; it seems that there are various opinions available.

But your comment, AnemicOak, makes me think of yet another facet to the discussion. If I expected the ebook to be read by people in the 19th century I would of course (as best I can) use the spelling, punctuation, and hyphenation that they were used to. But I am designing the ebooks for people in the 21st century. I certainly think the the books are worth reading and are enjoyable today.

I'm afraid I don't see a logical reason to use the spelling, punctuation, and hyphenation in fashion in the 19th century in a book intended to be read in the

Perhaps I should mention that I have clearly stated that I have changed spelling, punctuation, and hyphenation in my 'Preface to this edition' in the ebooks I've done recently. I'm trying out different wordings.
After the hoo-ha caused by your revelation of the fact that you changed words in an eBook and didn't say in the eBook's thread, I would think you would make sure any changes you've made are clearly documented and better yet, stop making these changes.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:08 AM   #19
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
After the hoo-ha caused by your revelation of the fact that you changed words in an eBook and didn't say in the eBook's thread, I would think you would make sure any changes you've made are clearly documented and better yet, stop making these changes.
I would think you'd stop yammering on about it.

And since there is really nothing anyone in this thread or the last can do about it one way or the other, your assertions that people can "get in trouble" for doing so are getting tiresome.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:19 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I would think you'd stop yammering on about it.

And since there is really nothing anyone in this thread or the last can do about it one way or the other, your assertions that people can "get in trouble" for doing so are getting tiresome.
I'm saying that altering the text without informing us is a bad idea. You've read the thread and there are those of us that don't want these alterations made. We want the original text regardless of how it looks/reads. Posting the altered eBooks without informing us is not a good way to gain our trust that we'd want to read eBooks posted by Alex.

Alex asked about the word, it's said that ancle is correct so leave it as ancle and move on. There's no need to then change it to ankle. That's just wrong.
Advert
Old 07-25-2014, 09:29 AM   #21
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
I'm saying that altering the text without informing us is a bad idea. You've read the thread and there are those of us that don't want these alterations made. We want the original text regardless of how it looks/reads. Posting the altered eBooks without informing us is not a good way to gain our trust that we'd want to read eBooks posted by Alex.

Alex asked about the word, it's said that ancle is correct so leave it as ancle and move on. There's no need to then change it to ankle. That's just wrong.
You are contradicting yourself.

Is it "wrong" to change it without warning people? Or is it "wrong" to change it period?

@AlexBell -- I trust you an if I had any interest in reading these book to begin with I'd definitely choose yours. Thanks for all your hard work modernizing the prose.

Last edited by eschwartz; 08-03-2014 at 12:22 PM. Reason: typo
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:31 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
You are contradicting yourself.

Is it "wrong" to change it without warning people? Or is it "wrong" to change it period?

@AlexBell -- I trust you an if I had any interest in reading these book to begin with I'd definitely chose yours. Thanks for all your hard work modernizing the prose.
It's wrong to change it without warning people. If it's changed and it's not wanted, it won't be downloaded. If it's changed and we don't know, we might download it and then later find out it's been changed. Personally, I would not be happy to download it to find out later that it's been changed.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:04 PM   #23
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
If it's changed and we don't know, we might download it and then later find out it's been changed. Personally, I would not be happy to download it to find out later that it's been changed.
On the other hand, if someone wants the "original" PG version, they can go to PG and download it. All books here are expected to be somewhat "changed" from the source (it's already in the guidelines), the border between formatting and content can be a little blurry.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:03 PM   #24
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:

@AlexBell -- I trust you an if I had any interest in reading these book to begin with I'd definitely chose yours. Thanks for all your hard work modernizing the prose.
Thanks
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 01:44 PM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If it were me, I'd leave well alone. It was a normal spelling for the day. But at the end of the day it's your choice: you're the editor
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 01:57 PM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
It's not a reason why YOU should do anything, Alex, but personally, when I read a 19th c book I like to see 19th c literary conventions used. But that just my personal preference.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:00 PM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post
If you modernize the spelling and include a note saying that you have modernized the spelling, it would be extremely unreasonable for anyone to complain. Do what you want, and tell potential readers what you've done, I say.

(I read an edition of some of Austen's unfinished, with her original spelling left intact, and was torn out of the story all the time by her "freind" and "freindship", so personally I'm all for updated spelling.)
You'll want to avoid the editions of Austen that I've uploaded to the MR library then. In all of those I've painstakingly editing all the spelling, hyphenation, and punctuation FROM modern conventions back to the originals.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:02 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You'll want to avoid the editions of Austen that I've uploaded to the MR library then. In all of those I've painstakingly editing all the spelling, hyphenation, and punctuation FROM modern conventions back to the originals.
Well done! They should be as they were intended to be even if some don't like it that way.

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-26-2014 at 10:35 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:14 PM   #29
pynch
why in?
pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura
Quote:
[...] They should be as they were indented [...]
[Emphasis mine.]

Yep, with all the original typos intact.
pynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:47 PM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Well done! They should be as they were indented to be even if some don't like it that way.
There's no "should" about it, Jon. They are the way they are because that was my personal preference. The majority of editions of Austen have modernised spelling and punctuation, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.