Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-05-2013, 08:17 PM   #46
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
... no comment this time - just listen and read.

Last edited by ixtab; 11-05-2013 at 08:24 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:49 AM   #47
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
No words for this one. My mood all the time. Have to listen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCjUdOUMaSQ
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2013, 06:52 AM   #48
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the Lounge. This has nothing to do with Kindle software development.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:40 PM   #49
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
"Trying To Get The Feeling Again" by the Carpenters

I just happened upon this thread, decided it looked interesting, so here's my first post here:

"Trying To Get The Feeling Again" by the Carpenters

For a long time the only version of this song I'd heard was Barry Manilow's hit version of the song. It's a song that I liked but it wasn't among my favorites.

Then, I picked up the Carpenters' album "Interpretations" and "Trying To Get The Feeling Again" was on it. The album contained songs that the Carpenters recorded that were written by others.

According to the liner notes, this was a work lead (essentially a vocal draft) of a song that was considered for the album "Horizon" (my favorite Carpenters album) but was not completed. This work lead was lost for over 20 years, and when it was found the production of the song was completed for the "Interpretations" album.

What is striking about this song is the vocal performance, the musical arrangement, and the difference in lyrics between this version and Manilow's version:

THE VOCAL PERFORMANCE: For me, what is incredible about this version is the emotion that Karen reveals as she sings the words, and it's likely that in this version she was just becoming familiar with the song. It's even more amazing considering that this version would normally have never been heard, since it would have been re-recorded for the final version (for various reasons such as the sound of the lyric page flipping at 1:58).

MUSICAL ARRANGEMENT: Added to the vocal performance is the musical arrangement. The often cold and mechanical arrangement drives home the emotions of the song, indicating that the relationship is basically over, nothing else can be done, and she's just going through the motions.

THE DIFFERENCE IN LYRICS: Very striking is the difference between these lyrics and those of Manilow's version. My internet research into this song found that it was originally written for the Carpenters, and this version of the song features the original lyrics. Unlike Manilow's version, which at least gives a sliver of hope that the relationship can be salvaged, in this version there's basically no hope.

For me, this has become one of my favorite Carpenters songs from the time I'd first really heard it (I'd first heard it in a car but I could barely hear it over the ambient noise). In my ranking of their songs it tends to jockey for the number two position with "Goodbye To Love" and "Love Me For What I Am."

An extra mention: This video for the song was done by NedNickerson2010, and he did some excellent work with this video via the use of very striking still images.

Since I compared it to Manilow's version, I thought I'd include it here too so you can view it for yourself:

Thanks for reading, I look forward to commenting on more songs.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 02:40 PM   #50
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Plea to give a second life to a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Moved to the Lounge. This has nothing to do with Kindle software development.
@HarryT

I respectfully disagree. I am sorry to see that one day after you moved this thread, it died. That it was well alive and cared for in the Kindle software development forum is the reason for my plea to move it back. IMHO, the medium was *the message*, not the contents of it.

Admittedly this is not that important but thanks for considering anyway mods.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert