Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-22-2013, 10:41 PM   #166
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Touch (5.3.7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfpop View Post
I modified and compiled Kindle Explorer 1.50 to suit my needs, as follows:
- my books are in /mnt/us/books, set as startup folder
- implemented a function to copy the current file to /mnt/us/documents
- implemented PgUp and PgDn buttons with circular loop
- removed all graphics, to conserve space
- toolbar buttons: DirUp, Copy, About, Exit, PgUp, PgDn

I attach two archives: modified sources and installation archive.
Again: Thanks to twobob for the support in the compile tools setup phase.
Thank you - I'll give it a go!
brianinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:32 PM   #167
JackErbes
Enthusiast
JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.

Device: K4 Non Touch, Fire HD (3rd Gen)
Hello to a fellow Maine-ah, Brian,

I just read this thread because I have a Kindle 4 (model D01100) no touch screen, black E-ink only, basic Kindle and am looking for an application (or something like that) to use for managing it.

I want something that does what the Windows Explorer app used to do in Windows (before ME/W7/W8), let me find, choose, and move or delete them from the Kindle.

I floundered around on Amazon for a while and finally figured out that I cannot use the the ES Windows Explorer app because I do not have an Android device. Duh! That will give you some idea as to how clueless I am about the Kindle OS and using it. As I read this thread I get glimpses of things that look like they might work for me.

To cut to the chase, with my D01100, K4, basic Kindle, can I install and run the Kindle Explorer seen here?

https://code.google.com/p/kindle-explorer/

Or is there another app that I can put on my Kindle that will do the things I mention?

Thanks for any help,

Jack
ah
JackErbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2013, 09:09 AM   #168
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackErbes View Post
To cut to the chase, with my D01100, K4, basic Kindle, can I install and run the Kindle Explorer seen here?

https://code.google.com/p/kindle-explorer/

Or is there another app that I can put on my Kindle that will do the things I mention?

Thanks for any help,

Jack
ah
1) The one in this thread? No
2) The one in the code.google.com link? No

This one (#1) is listed for the K5.
That one (#2) is "Bundled with leafpad and kterm".

Same reason for both answers -
Keyboard input, or rather the lack of K4 keyboard support.

The "pop up" on-screen keyboard of the K4 is different enough from the on-screen keyboard of both K5's that it would require code changes.

But the code is public -
If you fix them for K4 keyboard input - you would be fixing LeafPad, Kterm and Kindle-explorer at the same time.

Something the community would appreciate having for certain.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:22 AM   #169
JackErbes
Enthusiast
JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.

Thanks for the reply and help.

I'd love to contribute something to the community but am absolutely clueless as far as programming. I'm just a user...

Cheers,

Jack
Old 05-17-2013, 08:06 AM   #170
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Right well... There is mootings of a terminal for the 4 FINALLY rearing its head.
That is a WIP AFAIK so no breath holding right now. Also that is not by me so I can make no promises as to schedule.

Also myts really needs to support a -c command flag to make to helpful on the really lower devices...

The GUI needs to be reworked to "make sense" on the lower devices. That is something that I could/will do...

As KNC1 said if this was the "easy" x-compile project that personally I hoped for back upon it's inception the release for the lower devices would have "just happened" back then.

There is a build of this for the lower devices somewhere on my drives... but it's just not "right" on all of the devices - thus is shelved until all these other bits "drop into place".

WIP. Now by a few parties, thus a non-breath holding one.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2013, 11:18 AM   #171
JackErbes
Enthusiast

Thanks for the update, Bob. It is encouraging to know that it is a WIP, that is good news.

Jack
Old 06-21-2013, 01:58 AM   #172
richy1989
Connoisseur
richy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel is

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 & Kindle 4 Black
I use the Explorer try to hava a look at '/usr/lib'
but it stoped.
And I have to restart my kindle by hand.
What's wrong?
richy1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:02 AM   #173
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many..
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by richy1989 View Post
I use the Explorer try to hava a look at '/usr/lib'
but it stoped.
And I have to restart my kindle by hand.
What's wrong?
similar case with me.. using KindleExplorer i tried to enter '/etc' and my PW hanged..
since i was not fully clear about the reboot procedure(pressing power button for around 20 secs - according to the amazon guide), i thought i'd bricked my PW..
nasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:34 AM   #174
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
twobob is on "Summer Holiday from Kindle Hacking".

So if someone else wants to take a look at why KE seems to have problems displaying a part of the system mounted read-only ...
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:15 AM   #175
baf
Evangelist
baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kt
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasser View Post
similar case with me.. using KindleExplorer i tried to enter '/etc' and my PW hanged..
since i was not fully clear about the reboot procedure(pressing power button for around 20 secs - according to the amazon guide), i thought i'd bricked my PW..
Maybe it chokes on some special files, like symlinks?
I remember I wrote about similar problem somewhere in this thread.
baf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:50 AM   #176
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
You might also want to look into memory usage, I'm in a world of hurt right now with ImageMagick & dithering, for example, where a 65MB mmap wreaks havoc on the VM management, and kswapd loops like crazy trying to please everyone (check /proc/vmstat & /proc/zoneinfo).

I haven't experienced the framework breaking because of that on the PW, but on legacy devices, it does get killed by the OOM reaper (or the framework/java itself has a dedicated OOM handling, dunno).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-14-2013 at 12:57 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:24 PM   #177
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KFire HD, KFire, KTD 3g, KT, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1
I tried to do a search for vertical last night and somehow got sucked into the thread on porting Doom to the K5, so I don't know if anybody asked about this before or not.

On my PW, the vertical scroll bar is right against the side of the bezel and nearly impossible to use. Is it possible to make it wider or offset farther to the right? (no, the OTHER right...)

I was wondering if it was possible to set the edit button to use vi instead of leafpad. I checked all the text files and I'm going to venture a guess that that call is hard-coded into the program?

Thanks for reading.

hmmm... sounds like that's what hfpop was talking about when he was talking about sliders. I'll check what he's done.

Last edited by SampleAndy; 08-20-2013 at 05:36 PM. Reason: cause I'm a moron? yeah... that's it.
SampleAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:21 PM   #178
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KFire HD, KFire, KTD 3g, KT, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1
'k. I prefer the original, with the added functionality of all the buttons.

Regular scroll, from a swipe across the screen, seems to work, but at a vastly decreased rate. (A vertical scroll across the whole screen moves about two lines.) If the scroll bars can't be changed could that be changed?

It looks like the images were only included for... for something. Replacing them doesn't seem to have any effect on the application. Are they built into the app?
SampleAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:27 PM   #179
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Understood.

I STILL don't have a terminal for the lower devices that can accept commands.

There was some rumour of one being made available Real Soon Now.

Once it is there then so am I.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:17 PM   #180
twobob

Err. yeah. The code is up for this one Andy.

Can easily take a poke around.