Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 01:53 PM   #301
sergejsp4
sergejsp4 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-T1
Hi Morkl!
After several trying to decode apk file no result.
Can you make screen-shot of terminal with commands for total commander example?
I need to understand what I need to type in Terminal.
Sorry, I just stupid brick-construction worker.
Can you help again please?

By the way, on google play i have found free android manifesr scanner, but I could not
download it to(no support from google). There is possibility to view manifest file right in android device.

Last edited by sergejsp4; 06-28-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:11 AM   #302
sergejsp4
sergejsp4 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-T1
Quote:
By the way, on google play i have found free android manifesr scanner, but I could not
download it to(no support from google). There is possibility to view manifest file right in android device.
Got it. Itworks. Trying to order soft buttons on home screen.
Advert
Old 06-30-2012, 04:06 PM   #303
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkl View Post
So, I re-ran the install with an earlier version of the update script and it works, even on my wonky device I can't believe I was struggling all this time with a non-existing problem

The package at http://morkl.se/reader/JuneReader.zip has been updated, and if I don't hear about any critical bugs I'll put it up at SourceForge in the weekend
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Good news The latest June version of the modified EbookReader app installed easily and correctly on a never-rooted T1 and has survived 2 full reboots without incident. The time is displayed in the bottom status bar of each book and all my css is working.
This is great news! Thank you so much Morkl, jackie_w, and everyone else who has helped out.

If you want to use the no-root version but can't (or don't want to) run the flash_reader.bat file (because you're on a Mac or Linux or whatever), I can now confirm that the Mac/Linux rooting instructions from the Wiki and Boroda appear to work on Morkl's install_noroot version. This is what I did, and so far it appears to be working fine:
  • Download and unzip Morkl's EbookReader.
  • Copy the "reader" folder to the root directory of your T1's Reader partition.
  • Open the "install_noroot" folder and copy the "PRS-T1 Update.package" file and the two folders inside the "sdcard" folder ("updates" and "tmp") to the Reader partition.
  • You should now have 4 new items in the root directory of your T1's Reader partition: "reader" folder, "PRS-T1 Update.package" file, "updates" folder and "tmp" folder.
  • Shutdown T1.
  • Hold the Home and Menu buttons together, and while holding them down, turn on your T1. Hold the buttons for at least 5 seconds after the "Opening Book" screen appears (I waited until the progress bar finished), then release the buttons.
  • Wait, and it should flash and boot in normal mode.
  • Edit reader.xml and css files (in the "reader" folder) as desired.
  • Enjoy new reader app!

Last edited by pssquirrel; 07-12-2012 at 11:15 AM. Reason: updated info
Old 07-01-2012, 07:03 AM   #304
HANZ
HANZ began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Is the new version of the homescreen ready Morkl?
Old 07-01-2012, 10:31 AM   #305
samy2
Ebook-Fan
samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
What are the big modifcations one reader-app?? I can just see there is a clock. Thats nice. What else??
Advert
Old 07-01-2012, 11:38 AM   #306
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by samy2 View Post
What are the big modifcations one reader-app?? I can just see there is a clock. Thats nice. What else??
Instead of just being able to have 7 custom fonts you get 7 different customised css files. As well as containing the font @font-faces, each css file can contain other things that you'd like specific to your custom font, e.g. a different line-height (space between each line of text)

Also, with the previous release (just like the Sony unmodified reader app), if you select one of the 6 select-a-fonts (i.e. not 'Original') it will display both serif and sans-serif defined text in the same selected custom font. This won't bother some people but those who like to see their chapter headings in sans-serif and the main body text in serif can now do so. Previously, the only way to see both serif and sans-serif in the same book was to set the font to 'Original'. With the new version you can customise serif and sans-serif independently in each css file and see them both in the same book no matter which select-a-font you choose. If you're a keen font customiser it also means you can choose a pair of serif and sans-serif fonts which look good together.

So there you go, clear as mud?
Old 07-01-2012, 02:25 PM   #307
soseono
Connoisseur
soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle 4, Sony PRS-T1 (formerly PRS-500 & 505), iPad Air
Thanks much for the June Reader update!

I installed the June version directly over the April version, and everything works fine: the installation went without hitch and the app is sticking fine after reboots. I'm not getting the Invalid Page error with previously opened books, either. (In fact, I don't think I've ever seen that error on the T1.) I've tested only epubs, though; I don't have any pdfs on my T1 at this moment.

The clock is a really nice addition, and I love that it updates only at a page turn (saves battery!). One small suggestion: Can you add an option to use a 24-hour format, and/or add AM/PM mark next to the (current) 12-hour format display? I tried checking/unchecking the 24-hour format option in the main Date/Time Settings, but that doesn't seem to affect the in-reader clock. In fact I prefer the 12-hour format, but with AM/PM next to it. (Well I'm supposed to know AM/PM by the ambient lighting, but still... )

Last edited by soseono; 07-01-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:33 AM   #308
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus
Hm, this new reader app seems very satisfactory!

Although, I'm not entirely sure where the settings are if I want to turn off the clock. Do I need to edit the .xml files? In fact, if I could, I'd like to turn off the page number display at the bottom altogether. Is that possible at the present time, good sir?
Old 07-03-2012, 07:37 AM   #309
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand Brittain View Post
Although, I'm not entirely sure where the settings are if I want to turn off the clock. Do I need to edit the .xml files?
Yes, you need to edit the file reader/reader.xml in a text editor. If you're currently using the default reader.xml, change the line
Code:
<informationBar left="none" right="clock_hms" />
to
Code:
<informationBar left="none" right="none" />
Old 07-03-2012, 02:27 PM   #310
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus
Ah, I see, I had left out the new "reader" folder, thinking it was unnecessary using the apk. Now it's working correctly.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:14 PM   #311
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If the previous firmware's reader app is installed on the current T1 firmware, is there going to be an issue with just installing the new one over it?

Would it be possible to also put in font styles for smallcaps as well in the CSS for the fonts we want to have smallcaps?

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-04-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #312
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Would it be possible to also put in font styles for smallcaps as well in the CSS for the fonts we want to have smallcaps?
You can, I've been doing this for a couple of years with all my Sonys. However, it's not quite as straightforward because you cannot use the @font-face {... font-variant: small-caps; ...} option, at least not on any existing Sonys.

What you can do is, if you only have a single smallcaps font (e.g. Fontin SmallCaps), define the smallcaps font in your Sony css file something like
Code:
@font-face {font-family: "SCfont"; src: url(res:///... .../fonts/Fontin-SmallCaps.ttf)}
If you can find a smallcaps font with all 4 variants (reg, italic, bold, boldit) you can setup 4 @font-faces in the normal way.

In addition, you also have to do either one or the other of the following:
  1. find the relevant css style in each epub's css file and change it from
    .scname {font-variant: small-caps} to
    .scname {font-family: "SCfont"} (matching the label in your @font-face)
  2. add an extra line into your Sony css file something like
    Code:
    small, .smallcaps, .smallcaps1, .smallcaps2, .small-caps, .sc, .fsc, .smallCaps, .Smallcaps, .SmallCaps {
        font-family: "SCfont", serif;
        font-variant: normal}

Option 1 - will always work, but is tedious because you would have to change every epub where you want smallcaps.

Option 2 - can be set once in your Sony css file(s) but means you need guesswork to try and catch every .scname the epub creators may decide to use -- but you'll probably never guess them all It works perfectly if you are creating your own html file to convert to epub.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:48 PM   #313
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have Charis SIL and the smallcaps to go with it. I've been using it when the ePub makes enough use of smallcaps to warrant bothering to fix them.

That is good to know that I can use them.

What I plan on doing is making Charis SIL the default font because I happen to rather like it.

My other question is can I install the new version modified reader over the old version modified reader or do I have to uninstall the previous modified reader and if so, how?
Old 07-04-2012, 10:10 PM   #314
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have Charis SIL and the smallcaps to go with it. I've been using it when the ePub makes enough use of smallcaps to warrant bothering to fix them.

That is good to know that I can use them.

What I plan on doing is making Charis SIL the default font because I happen to rather like it.

My other question is can I install the new version modified reader over the old version modified reader or do I have to uninstall the previous modified reader and if so, how?
I also have Charis SIL as my default 'Original'. I don't have the equivalent smallcaps, though. Was that a pay-for addition?

Regarding the installation, I'm afraid I can't answer that one as I used porkupan's restore-set-1.0.04.12210 beforehand to be on the safe side. However, in post #307 soseono claims that installing the June version directly over the April version worked.

[Edit:] Re: the Charis smallcaps, Google was my friend, I see you helpfully posted them for someone back in March. Thanks, I'll give them a go tomorrow.

Last edited by jackie_w; 07-04-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:36 PM   #315
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I also have Charis SIL as my default 'Original'. I don't have the equivalent smallcaps, though. Was that a pay-for addition?

Regarding the installation, I'm afraid I can't answer that one as I used porkupan's restore-set-1.0.04.12210 beforehand to be on the safe side. However, in post #307 soseono claims that installing the June version directly over the April version worked.

[Edit:] Re: the Charis smallcaps, Google was my friend, I see you helpfully posted them for someone back in March. Thanks, I'll give them a go tomorrow.
See PM for better editions of the Charis SIL fonts.
Closed Thread