Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-02-2011, 01:28 AM   #31
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
I think many leisure electronics users are image-conscious, and a 5.3" display cell phone is just plain embarrassing. It will fail in the U.S., that's for sure. Maybe it will do well elsewhere.
Even though it really is the perfect size (maximum screensize that is still easily pocketable) it will fail because Mossberg&Co will say it is too big, and AT&T/ Verizon will stay on the safe side rather than promote progress. Those who have actually given the Dell Streak a chance wouldn't consider it too big. And you could use a headset, it doesn't look big when you hold it in your hands in landscape mode (I have very small hands).

But sometimes even all of Apple's marketing prowess can't stop improvements in usability or we would be forever stuck at 3.5". Phones are getting bigger, and 4.3" screens are selling very well. Besides, 5.3" is also great ereader territory, perhaps a good choice for forum members here.

It would be a pity if such bold and useful innovation fails again because of the existing marketing culture.

Last edited by HansTWN; 09-02-2011 at 01:32 AM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:37 AM   #32
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
I think many leisure electronics users are image-conscious, and a 5.3" display cell phone is just plain embarrassing. It will fail in the U.S., that's for sure. Maybe it will do well elsewhere.
I don't think it's going to fail, however I believe they will make a fewer and price it high, for high end users.

The reason the Dell 5" device did so poorly is because they shipped with old technology and charged a premium.

Samsung is given the consumers the best if the best.

For me this is an ideal phone, iv would no longer have to carry my tablet and phone.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2011, 04:49 AM   #33
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
My problem with devices that require a data plan is that they always want you to have a huge voice plan (e.g. 500 minutes). I pay $15/month for my cell phone, because that is the cheapest I could find. The minutes roll over if you renew in time. I have about $300 worth of credit on that phone. I only talk about 3-4 minutes a week, if that much. I don't want to pay $35 or more for the voice part of combined voice/data plans.
I have a similar problem except I can't get a phone plan as cheap as yours. I have stayed with AT&T because of the rollover feature. I have been out of contract now for 4 years. We are still using the Motorola Razr phones we got 6 or 7 years ago. I've been reluctant to upgrade the phones because it would mean a new contract and higher cost. The reality is that combined, my wife and I use the cell phones for about 10 minutes a month; on rare occasion we actually come close to 20 minutes. We rarely turn on the cell phones and the biggest use is when we go to the shopping mall and she goes one way and I go another -- we use the phones to arrange to meet.

I have, however, been thinking about porting 2 of our 3 landline numbers to new cell phones and dropping the landlines. I am getting more interested with the forthcoming release of the new Samsung phones. But the reality is we still wouldn't use many minutes each month and wouldn't use much data plan time either. We work out of our home and our computers give us Internet access. Sometimes I hate having to make a decision!
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:03 PM   #34
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
For those who have questions on the size of the pen size

=X= is offline   Reply With Quote