Notices

Old 04-20-2011, 05:45 AM   #1
Bertrand
Zealot
Bertrand began at the beginning.

Device: None
Nook Color and covers in calibre

Hi all,

Sometimes some covers don't show up in NC devices.
To fix this, I convert from epub to epub with the option 'Use Cover from Source file' checked. It's fine and it works.

But what I would like to know is if it is possible in calibre to know which books need to be converted, BEFORE sending to device.

Thanks
Bertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:41 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertrand View Post
Hi all,

Sometimes some covers don't show up in NC devices.
To fix this, I convert from epub to epub with the option 'Use Cover from Source file' checked. It's fine and it works.

But what I would like to know is if it is possible in calibre to know which books need to be converted, BEFORE sending to device.

Thanks
Before you Convert.
Does Calibre show a cover in the Book Details pane (Book Icon is selected in lower Right)?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2011, 10:10 AM   #3
Bertrand
Zealot

Yes, I can see the covers in the right panel. I see them in the viewer, and in ADE too.
And I can see them when I open the HTML file.

I can't find a common pattern among all those books not showing the cover on my NC, something that will tell me "this one needs a conversion, this one no".
Old 04-20-2011, 11:18 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertrand View Post
Yes, I can see the covers in the right panel. I see them in the viewer, and in ADE too.
And I can see them when I open the HTML file.

I can't find a common pattern among all those books not showing the cover on my NC, something that will tell me "this one needs a conversion, this one no".
Since they do have covers in Calibre, the Quality check" plug-in probably won't do.

I wonder if the issue is how the cover is specified within the book or the level of the encoding.
Or it could be that the cover image file in the book, is too big for the NC
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:28 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The NC has a bug which causes it to not display covers if the id of the cover element in the manifest has any value other than cover.

calibre explicitly works around this bug when outputting EPUB.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2011, 11:58 AM   #6
Bertrand
Zealot

Ok, so there's no easy way to detect the 'culprits' inside calibre.
Maybe the best bet is to convert systematically after an import.

Thanks to both of you.