Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-27-2010, 05:00 PM   #1
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Original Kobo users forgotten?

Is anyone else feeling like the original Kobo users have been left behind? We've been promised new firmware for weeks now and are just kept being told "soon". Now after 6 months of promising us newspapers they are finally here but are not supported for blackberry. I've been waiting 6 months for support for my blackberry using bluetooth (Curve 8330) and I'm still waiting. I feel a lot of pressure to buy the wireless version or get left behind, but since it's only been 6 months since the original came out I can't rationalize this.
What are your thoughts?
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:48 PM   #2
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Duiker, when I joined MR over a year ago, I read a number of posts by long-time members that said that one should never count on firmware updates. There had been too many instances of companies that failed to keep their promises regarding updates.

I took that advice to heart, and purchased the least expensive unit available, the jetBook Lite, with low expectations. There have been two firmware updates since then, and I am quite pleased with the current edition. I consider myself lucky.

When you bought your Kobo, it was one of the least expensive devices. I believe that for the next couple of years, buying an inexpensive unit that does not do all that one might hope for is the way to go.

So my philosophy is: Keep your expectations low, and you won't be disappointed.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2010, 05:50 PM   #3
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duiker View Post
What are your thoughts?
Similar... so i bought another device
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:30 PM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Yes--I believe you have told us that a number of times now, Steve. Again congratulations on finding something that meets your needs.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:27 PM   #5
roguefan99
Zealot
roguefan99 began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7, and Kobo
Duiker, were you around for the previous upgrade. Same thing happened, there was talk of an upcoming firmware upgrade and it was confirmed by Kobo that it was happening and then it went really quiet for a while. A few weeks after that, it was confirmed on their blog that the firmware was coming and people should sign up for the beta testing. Then suddenly the firmware appeared on the website (and a post here) and people went and upgraded.

Whilst this is probably not the best way to go, I have a funny feeling that the firmware is probably in heaving testing and bug repair mode (thus kobo silence) and we should see it before christmas.

As for the other issues, I'm guessing Blackberry isn't where they are focussed on with their $$ plan, my guess is that only a small number of people use the app (unfortanetly) and the wide variety of devices makes it hard to support.
roguefan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2010, 07:44 PM   #6
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I think we need to be patient. They have been focused on the Ko2, but now that is out we should see new firmware soon.

Kobo support has been pretty good to date. They came through for me and many others when issues have occurred and support staff are an active part of this forum. This is far more than I can say regarding Kindle and Sony for instance.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:12 PM   #7
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Yes--I believe you have told us that a number of times now, Steve. Again congratulations on finding something that meets your needs.
We're all entitled to an opinion remember?
I'm not slagging Kobo off in any way, so maybe we can rein in the high horse and chill with a big cup of relax?

... and thanks, i did find a device that meets my needs exactly. I guess i'm lucky in that aspect. Amazingly i still own a Kobo; who would've thought!?

digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:12 PM   #8
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Gosh, I'm so busy reading on my perfectly functional first gen kobo, I don't have time to feel forgotten...
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:20 PM   #9
jimr
jimr began at the beginning.

Device: Original Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d0g View Post
Gosh, I'm so busy reading on my perfectly functional first gen kobo, I don't have time to feel forgotten...
My sentiments exactly. Sure, whatever improvements they can make with another update will be great...but in the meantime, I haven't got a single thing to complain about. Not to mention (ok, I'll mention it anyway), any further updates will undoubtably introduce new problems, as we can plainly see by some of the comments on this forum re: the wifi Kobo...so as the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Happy reading all
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:37 PM   #10
sabredog
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Very true
Old 10-27-2010, 08:47 PM   #11
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
One of the most asked for updates was the ability to read newspapers and magazines. The 1.7.x updates to the desktop software has made that possible for both devices, not just the WiFi. I got my email about it today.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:26 PM   #12
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Since newspapers can't be driven to the original Kobo over the air, they are no interest to me. By the time I remember to put it on the Kobo via USB, they are no longer "news". So, a nice to have for the wifi edition.

Hey: with the Kobo wifi, do they load up when I am not looking? Or do I have to force the download? Is the newspaper available on my Kobo and my Galaxy Tab, also seamlessly?

I am also struggling with the concept of reading the Sunday New York Times on a 6" e-ink window ... and navigating through the paper. It seems to me the online experience HAS to be better.

And ... we do have access to Macleans, Canadian Business, Chatelaine, Flare, Helo, Loulou, Today's Parent and Profit, right? In Canada?
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:10 PM   #13
sabredog

If you use Calibre, there are recipes to pull newspapers down at whim, save as ePUB and transfer to your Kobo.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:12 PM   #14
roguefan99
Zealot
roguefan99 began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7, and Kobo
Quote:
LOL, and thats why I'm not rushing for a firmware upgrade, just incase it resets some of my bookmarks that I have in my books. Though I would like the covers back rather than the dull KOBO ereader screen when its off (though that just says to me "read, and read now".)

The irony is taming that I currently do read newspapers and magazines on my kobo, just using the systems that are included with Calibre. Its not quite the same and its a bit buggy (time has stopped working), but its good enough. Persoanlly I dont think its the best device for this as a web browser is much better (i.e. my phone), but its okay.

Oh and didn't newspapers just start yesterday, or am I missing something?
roguefan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:49 AM   #15
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimr View Post
I haven't got a single thing to complain about. Not to mention (ok, I'll mention it anyway), any further updates will undoubtably introduce new problems, as we can plainly see by some of the comments on this forum re: the wifi Kobo...so as the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
He-he! Exactly. In a matter of fact 1.4 is pretty fine, if you could
live without go-to. If you cannot, 1.7 will not help.
I know what is the feeling, but I would choose the word "jettison".
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote