Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-05-2013, 12:43 PM   #1
magmanpi
Enthusiast
magmanpi can extract oil from cheesemagmanpi can extract oil from cheesemagmanpi can extract oil from cheesemagmanpi can extract oil from cheesemagmanpi can extract oil from cheesemagmanpi can extract oil from cheesemagmanpi can extract oil from cheesemagmanpi can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
Closing unwanted line breaks

Hello,

I've looked in the other threads about fixing line breaks using Sigil but can't find the solution to my problem:

I trying to fix an ebook (a hated Calibre conversion from PDF, I think) in which almost every sentence, though not all -- that contains an em dash is broken after the dash. It looks like this in code view:

blah blah blah —</p>

<p class="calibre2">blah blah blah

In some instances, the code looks like this:

blah blah blah —</span></p>

I've tried a lot of the regex search strings suggested in other threads but none of them finds any matches, either when I click Find or Count All. Any ideas why the search strings aren't finding any matches?

I would greatly appreciate any help! Thanks!
magmanpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by magmanpi View Post
Hello,

I've looked in the other threads about fixing line breaks using Sigil but can't find the solution to my problem:

I trying to fix an ebook (a hated Calibre conversion from PDF, I think) in which almost every sentence, though not all -- that contains an em dash is broken after the dash. It looks like this in code view:

blah blah blah —</p>

In some instances, the code looks like this:

blah blah blah —</span></p>

I've tried a lot of the regex search strings suggested in other threads but none of them finds any matches, either when I click Find or Count All. Any ideas why the search strings aren't finding any matches?

I would greatly appreciate any help! Thanks!
were you in REGEX mode?
Was the scope: All HTML

Sigil comes with a few saved searches: Join is one of them...But
only for simple joins.
Both the cases you show need care (Replace All is NOT a good idea)

The first may be desired (my regex for THAT ONE only allow IF the first letter being joined to is lower case)

Your second: What to do about the /span(s)?
Things can get uglier/not better FAST with a Replace All
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #3
magmanpi
Enthusiast
magmanpi can extract oil from cheesemagmanpi can extract oil from cheesemagmanpi can extract oil from cheesemagmanpi can extract oil from cheesemagmanpi can extract oil from cheesemagmanpi can extract oil from cheesemagmanpi can extract oil from cheesemagmanpi can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
were you in REGEX mode?
Was the scope: All HTML

Sigil comes with a few saved searches: Join is one of them...But
only for simple joins.
Both the cases you show need care (Replace All is NOT a good idea)

The first may be desired (my regex for THAT ONE only allow IF the first letter being joined to is lower case)

Your second: What to do about the /span(s)?
Things can get uglier/not better FAST with a Replace All
Yes, I was in REGEX mode and the scope was All HTML. And no, I would never use replace all. I can see the danger there.

I'm totally puzzled why Sigil isn't finding any matches for my search strings. Could you please post your REGEX string for the first fix? Thanks!
Old 12-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I'm totally puzzled why Sigil isn't finding any matches for my search strings. Could you please post your REGEX string for the first fix? Thanks!
You've not said what your search string was. It might be easier (and more instructive) to show what you might be doing wrong.

However, if I had to guess, I'd say that whatever search expression you're using isn't taking into account the line breaks/white-space between the two lines of code you're trying to match.

Given that the example you gave is consistent through the code, an expression to find what you're looking for (the one without the </span> involved) could be as simple as:
(make sure you're actually typing the emdash character here)
Code:
—</p>\s+<p class="calibre2">
replace it with an emdash (or emdash - <space> depending on your preference)
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:55 PM   #5
magmanpi
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
You've not said what your search string was. It might be easier (and more instructive) to show what you might be doing wrong.

However, if I had to guess, I'd say that whatever search expression you're using isn't taking into account the line breaks/white-space between the two lines of code you're trying to match.

Given that the example you gave is consistent through the code, an expression to find what you're looking for (the one without the </span> involved) could be as simple as:
Code:
I wondered about the white space between the two lines. This is the search string I was using:

Find: ([a-z])</p>\s+<p class="calibre2"> Replace: \1 In the replace expression, it is \1 followed by a single space.
Advert
Old 12-05-2013, 03:51 PM   #6
magmanpi
Enthusiast

Quote:

Code:
OMG! The code worked. I can't thank you guys enough for your help.
Does the Sigil manual have a section on how to write code for regex? I looked in the manual trying to solve this problem but it kinda made my head spin.

Now, about those other code items with </span>?
Old 12-05-2013, 04:36 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magmanpi View Post
Does the Sigil manual have a section on how to write code for regex? I looked in the manual trying to solve this problem but it kinda made my head spin.
No. Regex is completely separate and independent of Sigil. It uses the PCRE flavor of regex, so just look for a tutorial somewhere. Such as http://www.regular-expressions.info/

Quote:
Now, about those other code items with </span>?
I would probably leave the closing span in there (who knows what css class may be assigned to the opening tag), but do something very similar.
Code:
—</span></p>\s+<p class="calibre2">
Replace with "—</span>" or "—</span> " (without the quotes of course).
Old 12-06-2013, 08:04 AM   #8
magmanpi
Enthusiast

Quote:
No. Regex is completely separate and independent of Sigil. It uses the PCRE flavor of regex, so just look for a tutorial somewhere. Such as http://www.regular-expressions.info/

I would probably leave the closing span in there (who knows what css class may be assigned to the opening tag), but do something very similar.
Code:
—</span></p>\s+<p class="calibre2">
Replace with "—</span>" or "—</span> " (without the quotes of course).
Thank you very much for all the help, DiapDealer. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge. Now I'm off to check out your regex link!
Old 12-06-2013, 08:20 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

No problem. Good luck on your regex journey!