Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 05-21-2010, 02:26 PM   #91
troymc
Groupie
troymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505 + B&N Nook + Motion LE1700 + Motorola Xoom Wifi
This ebook truly is a work of art.

Has anyone seen an epub of Alice in Wonderland with the Tenniel illustrations that is this high quality?

If not, I may try to create one.

Troy
troymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 04:49 AM   #92
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Has anyone seen an epub of Alice in Wonderland with the Tenniel illustrations that is this high quality?
There's this and this

I don't know about the quality, though. I can tell you they don't have the text wrapped around pictures because I didn't find a really portable solution (something that would work in large and small screens, portrait and landscape...).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2010, 08:36 AM   #93
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by orwell2k View Post
Actually I'm making an FB2 version (my preferred format), but I can try my hand at ePub. Somebody above asked for where the text was, so I did a quick look and provided a link. Be warned any version I create will not be anywhere near as beautiful as the illustrated 'Three Men In A Boat' provided by this thread!
seems like an excellent reason to try your hand at epub to me. you should be able to make an excellent book with sigil, and if you need any help at all please don't hesitate to ask, we've got some real experts around here !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Just loaded this onto my newly acquired Nook.

Very nice book. Amazing what you can do with a bit of work.

Thanks Zelda...
i'm very glad you like it, jgaiser ! it's one of my favourite books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa1956 View Post
I haven't read the book nor checked for errors. (I see you've gotten along without my "help")
This is beautifully formatted. I love the fonts, dropcaps, and the way text flows around the illustrations. Well done, brilliant!
This is the sort of thing I am looking for in eBooks.
i agree poppa, it's great to see that you can really make some beautifully formatted books en epub. and just think, as the format evolves and reading systems are perfected, we'll be able to make even more beautiful books... can't wait !

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymc View Post
This ebook truly is a work of art.

If not, I may try to create one.

Troy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
There's this and this

I don't know about the quality, though. I can tell you they don't have the text wrapped around pictures because I didn't find a really portable solution (something that would work in large and small screens, portrait and landscape...).
troy, thank you so much for the compliment. i'm so glad you like this book. as for your question, i would highly recommend any book by jellby as extra high quality. jellby is the king of epub. but i would love to see any epub books you try your hand at, so please don't hesitate to share with us !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:35 AM   #94
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Oh Zelda, this looks amazing. Congratulations! And thanks!

One question, for anyone who can help me: how do I download it?

If I click on the link, it opens in my Firefox, looks beautiful, but when I try to save it from the File menu it isn't recognised as an ePub file, and wants to be saved as discreet xhtml files. If I right-lick on the link, and save the linked file, I just get a php file.

I want to save it to my new iRiver Story as a test of its screen-formatting capabilities. But how?

Edited to add:
Ahhh, I think it might be the ePub plug-in in Firefox. I tried reading this page in Google Chrome, and I can save it fine. Zelda, again: many thanks. I'm off to try the file on my iRiver Story. Oy, I hope I'm not disappointed ...

Last edited by MacEachaidh; 07-02-2010 at 01:53 AM. Reason: Realised why it wasn't working
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:23 AM   #95
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
I am impressed with the iPad's rendering of this wonderful book ... shame the device is a little overly large for 'light reading'.
This book looks good on an iPod Touch, too...

Last edited by cbell; 07-18-2010 at 01:27 AM. Reason: Removed copyright info
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2010, 04:09 AM   #96
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbell View Post

Now that's a pleasure to see .... Thanks .
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:40 PM   #97
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I read this last month, and enjoyed it so much I have started the sequel. It came pre-loaded with my jetBook Lite, but I read Zelda's version.

I had never heard of the book before I joined MR!

Thanks Zelda!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:14 AM   #98
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
Oh Zelda, this looks amazing. Congratulations! And thanks!
you are very welcome ! i hope you enjoy it. thanks so much for the kind words !

Quote:
One question, for anyone who can help me: how do I download it?

If I click on the link, it opens in my Firefox, looks beautiful, but when I try to save it from the File menu it isn't recognised as an ePub file, and wants to be saved as discreet xhtml files. If I right-lick on the link, and save the linked file, I just get a php file.

I want to save it to my new iRiver Story as a test of its screen-formatting capabilities. But how?

Edited to add:
Ahhh, I think it might be the ePub plug-in in Firefox. I tried reading this page in Google Chrome, and I can save it fine. Zelda, again: many thanks. I'm off to try the file on my iRiver Story. Oy, I hope I'm not disappointed ...
i'm glad you got that sorted out so quickly ! sorry i didn't see your message sooner. you're right that it's the epub plugin in firefox that causes that behaviour ; i ended up disactivating it, because in fact i never read in my browser, and it drove me crazy having to remember to right click every time.

Quote:

wow, that does look nice ! i'm impressed, i wouldn't have expected it to hold up so well on such a small screen. thanks for the photo !

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I read this last month, and enjoyed it so much I have started the sequel. It came pre-loaded with my jetBook Lite, but I read Zelda's version.

I had never heard of the book before I joined MR!

Thanks Zelda!
GA Russell, you have made my day ! i absolutely adore this book and it's one of my favourites ; no matter how many times i read it it still makes me laugh uncontrollably. i'm really happy to know that thanks to my version someone else has discovered this brilliant story, and enjoyed it as much as i do ! it really makes the time i spent on this ebook worth it. thank you so much for that message !
Old 07-26-2010, 10:09 AM   #99
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

What app are you using to view this?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:44 AM   #100
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
It is interesting that it hyphenates "Willi-/am". It indicates it could hyphenate other words, which is good for narrow widths.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:46 AM   #101
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
It certainly looks very neat, and I do like the red/brown font on the cream background.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:51 PM   #102
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What app are you using to view this?
Stanza

Geoff, I like the red/brown font on cream background, too. This is how it looks with black text and the backlight turned down.

Last edited by cbell; 07-26-2010 at 07:56 PM.
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:08 PM   #103
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
you are very welcome ! i hope you enjoy it. thanks so much for the kind words !
You're absolutely welcome, Zelda.

I find your file an enormously pleasing piece of layout in any context; the fact that it's been done in a technology that very few seem able to employ impressively, and has the added twinkle of being almost completely arcane to me, and that your coding is proving to be so robustly portable ... look, I don't mean to sound fawning, but for me that makes it utterly gobsmacking. I'd previously seen screenshots of your ePub all over the web, whenever people were talking about e.books and their reading devices, obviously holding your coding up as an example of "Just What Can Be Done With The Format", without my knowing where it had come from, and without credit being given to you. (That's the darker side of public domain efforts, to my way of thinking. If people aren't directly required to acknowledge someone's work, they generally don't bother giving the publishing space over to making the gesture freely.) It throws a curious light on commercial e.book products, of which I have several now, and have never seen one that came close to your efforts in layout. Different books need different looks, obviously, but so many instances of commercial electronic publishing seem to take a "near enough is good enough" approach to their products that it disgusts me.

So, my sincere congratulations, Zelda, and thanks for the delight you've provided.

On a happier note, I was beaming (and a little relieved, I admit) to see that it translated beautifully onto the iRiver Story, a device that has proved quite robust and pleases me immensely, but that does have shortcomings in the way it handles some of the formats it purports to support. (I've read enough of these forums now to realise that all e.readers seem to, in their own way.) I don't have the means for creating a screenshot of your book displayed on the Story, but it looks as good as any of the examples I've seen posted here from other devices. Thanks so much!
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:41 AM   #104
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
GA Russell, you have made my day !
Thanks you for saying so, Zelda! Your efforts are appreciated here!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:31 AM   #105
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
It is interesting that it hyphenates "Willi-/am". It indicates it could hyphenate other words, which is good for narrow widths.
yes, i see it hyphenates also "motion" in the first paragraph ; i wonder how good the algorithm is or if it is quite basic ? to be honest i'm not sure i would put hyphens in those names, but for a narrow screen it can certainly help. i wonder also if it can hyphenate other languages or if it relies on some set of rules specifically for english ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
You're absolutely welcome, Zelda.

I find your file an enormously pleasing piece of layout in any context; the fact that it's been done in a technology that very few seem able to employ impressively, and has the added twinkle of being almost completely arcane to me, and that your coding is proving to be so robustly portable ... look, I don't mean to sound fawning, but for me that makes it utterly gobsmacking. I'd previously seen screenshots of your ePub all over the web, whenever people were talking about e.books and their reading devices, obviously holding your coding up as an example of "Just What Can Be Done With The Format", without my knowing where it had come from, and without credit being given to you. (That's the darker side of public domain efforts, to my way of thinking. If people aren't directly required to acknowledge someone's work, they generally don't bother giving the publishing space over to making the gesture freely.) It throws a curious light on commercial e.book products, of which I have several now, and have never seen one that came close to your efforts in layout. Different books need different looks, obviously, but so many instances of commercial electronic publishing seem to take a "near enough is good enough" approach to their products that it disgusts me.

So, my sincere congratulations, Zelda, and thanks for the delight you've provided.
wow, that's a really incredibly nice thing to say ! knowing that this book has provided you (and others) with delight is, i think, the highest compliment you can pay. of course, i have to share the credit with quite a few people. there's this guy named jerome, for instance, who did have a hand in making the whole thing possible. i agree that we see too few examples of really nice epub books but luckily there are a few available. all of jellby's books (available here ! for free !) are definitely worth the detour. our very own pdurrant has also done a magnificent job creating the hand-coded epub version of Desbarollda, The Waltzing Mouse : http://www.durrantpublishing.co.uk/D...lda/index.html. those are just a couple of examples i can think of off the top of my head. I think it's great to talk about them as much as possible ; the more really high quality epub books people are aware of, hopefully the more their standards will be raised and the more they will come to expect a quality book from commercial publishers who, sadly, are often the worst offenders when it comes to really poorly-made books, as you've noticed. i suspect many people are convinced you actually *can't* make a good-looking book in epub, simply because they've never seen one. i didn't know this particular book was "all over the web" ; i know of 3 places it's been used, 2 of which asked my permission first (the third one, i didn't know about until someone sent me a link). but that doesn't really bother me, to be honest ; my role in creating this book is relatively small, after all i didn't write the story nor draw the illustrations. and some of the trickier coding bits were done with the invaluable help of some of our epub gods here (notably jellby). in the end though my original intention was to see "just what can be done with this format" so i'm quite pleased for people to use it as an example ; i hope it will give other people the idea of making some really nice books.

Quote:
On a happier note, I was beaming (and a little relieved, I admit) to see that it translated beautifully onto the iRiver Story, a device that has proved quite robust and pleases me immensely, but that does have shortcomings in the way it handles some of the formats it purports to support. (I've read enough of these forums now to realise that all e.readers seem to, in their own way.) I don't have the means for creating a screenshot of your book displayed on the Story, but it looks as good as any of the examples I've seen posted here from other devices. Thanks so much!
that is great to hear as well ! in the end, a book can only be as good as the reading system it's displayed on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Thanks you for saying so, Zelda! Your efforts are appreciated here!
thank *you* for saying so.