Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-08-2017, 04:22 PM   #1
Cherry Picker
Closet Reader
Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kobo GloHD
Book Jacket Soft Warning (100% Occurrence) and stars on Kobo glo

I have a two part question regarding creating a "Book Jacket" through Calibre's "Polishing" feature. I polish and create a book jacket for every book in my library and this occurs 100% of the time. This pertains to EPUBS.

1) The polishing options are always the same and shown in the screen shot below. After polishing, if I go into the epub via "Edit Book" and then "Run Check", I always get the same soft warning message on the newly created jacket.xhtml file: "This CSS construct is not recognized. That means that it most likely will not work on reader devices. Consider replacing it with something else.". My question is how can there be an error within Calibre for something that Calibre itself created? It can't be eReader specific since Jacket creation has nothing to do with whatever product you may have bought.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Polish Book Settings.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	155520Click image for larger version

Name:	Run Check Results.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	353.4 KB
ID:	155521

2) Also, 100% of books loaded into the GloHD are missing the rating "stars" on the same Jacket pages. (I know the issue with Kobo and ratings for side-loaded books...but this is not the same thing. The ratings stars on the Jacket are simply taken from the user's Calibre ratings and are embedded metadata on Jacket creation...a different thing). From the screen shots above, I can see the stars on the jacket.xhtml file (obviously)...however, the eReader itself (capture below) can't display them. Could it be a font issue (???) within the eReader. Pretty befuddled.

Name:	Created Jacket Screenshot.png
Views:	216
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	155522
Cherry Picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:03 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Cherry Picker - you can customise Book Jackets, there's a long discussion here ==>> Need help changing template for Metadata Book Jacket

Added : The standard jacket html and css files predate the editor, hence the check book feature, by aeons

I can't answer part 2

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-08-2017 at 05:14 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:42 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry Picker View Post
2) Also, 100% of books loaded into the GloHD are missing the rating "stars" on the same Jacket pages. (I know the issue with Kobo and ratings for side-loaded books...but this is not the same thing. The ratings stars on the Jacket are simply taken from the user's Calibre ratings and are embedded metadata on Jacket creation...a different thing). From the screen shots above, I can see the stars on the jacket.xhtml file (obviously)...however, the eReader itself (capture below) can't display them. Could it be a font issue (???) within the eReader. Pretty befuddled.
My guess would be a font issue. Try some of the other fonts on the device and see if the stars are displayed.

Alternatively, it could be how the stars are put on the page. This could be something that the editor preview pane understands, but the Kobo renderer doesn't. For that, I'd need to see the code.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:57 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I'd need to see the code.
The 'standard' code is wherever you have calibre installed e.g.
Code:
C:\Program Files\Calibre2\resources\jacket - stylesheet.css, and template.xhtml.
BR
Old 03-08-2017, 07:45 PM   #5
Cherry Picker
Closet Reader
Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Added : The standard jacket html and css files predate the editor, hence the check book feature, by aeons BR
BR, your "Added:..." edit made the light turn on. I understand what's happening (happened) now. Makes total sense. Also, thanks (again) for the direction on the Jacket Customization. I thought that one so obscure that I wouldn't have even thought to search on it. (Your knowledge wealth and memory for info repositories both in and out of MR has been priceless for me lately...thx!)

Quote:
My guess would be a font issue. Try some of the other fonts on the device and see if the stars are displayed.
davidfor, (now for the real shame). I ran through all 11 "out of the box" fonts on the GloHD (I've never added any others) and, sure enough, two of the eleven displayed the stars. Particularly embarrassing is the fact that I floated the possibility in the OP (we need a head-up-the-butt emoticon on MR). Although, that fact alone kind of "frosts" me (just two?) Next task is to find the threads on adding more fonts that will work.

Thanks, as always to you two...can never express (all of our) appreciation enough.

Last edited by Cherry Picker; 03-08-2017 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Re-arrange quotes
Old 03-08-2017, 08:28 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
davidfor, (now for the real shame). I ran through all 11 "out of the box" fonts on the GloHD (I've never added any others) and, sure enough, two of the eleven displayed the stars. Particularly embarrassing is the fact that I floated the possibility in the OP (we need a head-up-the-butt emoticon on MR). Although, that fact alone kind of "frosts" me (just two?) Next task is to find the threads on adding more fonts that will work.
Which fonts work? If they aren't ones you like, it might be better to work out a way to display the rating for all the fonts.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:24 PM   #7
Cherry Picker
Closet Reader

Quote:
Which fonts work? If they aren't ones you like, it might be better to work out a way to display the rating for all the fonts.
It occurred to me that I am assuming the 11 fonts are "out of the box" and not changed or added through any FW updates. In any case, the 11 fonts are as listed from top to bottom (I'm assuming they're the same on your own GloHD):
  • Publisher Default
  • Amasis
  • Caecilia
  • Georgia
  • Gil Sans
  • Kobo Nickel
  • Malabar
  • Kobo Tsukushi Mincho
  • Kobo UD Kakugo
  • OpenDyslexic
The two that work (display stars) are Kobo Tsukushi Mincho and Kobo UD Kakugo.

Off topic but since you are pretty heavily involved in the threads regarding FW 4.3.8842 and "new" FW 4.3.8871 while I was checking to see if FW updates added or removed fonts, I just received FW x.x.xx45 (still have the tiled home screen BTW). I can say that the FW update did not change installed fonts.

Last edited by Cherry Picker; 03-08-2017 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:44 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It occurred to me that I am assuming the 11 fonts are "out of the box" and not changed or added through any FW updates. In any case, the 11 fonts are as listed from top to bottom (I'm assuming they're the same on your own GloHD):
  • Publisher Default
  • Amasis
  • Caecilia
  • Georgia
  • Gil Sans
  • Kobo Nickel
  • Malabar
  • Kobo Tsukushi Mincho
  • Kobo UD Kakugo
  • OpenDyslexic
The two that work (display stars) are Kobo Tsukushi Mincho and Kobo UD Kakugo.
I was afraid of that. Those fonts work fine with kepubs, but don't display bold or italic in epubs. My understanding is they are used to support Japanese.

I'm a little surprised that Georgia didn't support them. I put the rating in the comments on the book and that gets displayed as stars in the book details page on the device. I thought this used Georgia, but maybe I am wrong. I'll have a look and see if it's something different in how the two are displayed.
Quote:
Off topic but since you are pretty heavily involved in the threads regarding FW 4.3.8842 and "new" FW 4.3.8871 while I was checking to see if FW updates added or removed fonts, I just received FW x.x.xx45 (still have the tiled home screen BTW). I can say that the FW update did not change installed fonts.
Yes, there have been two firmware releases today. Font changes in the firmware releases have been very rare.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:54 PM   #9
Cherry Picker
Closet Reader

Somebody has been playing Santa Claus...
Since Calibre 2.81, the soft warning created after Polishing=>Edit Book=>Run Check has been fixed. After a Polish of all books in my Library, 0% now have any errors upon "Checking". For those "OCD" types (I'm guilty) little things like this mean quite a lot.

Considering that this may be (to some) a "wishlist" or "low priority" item, the fact that somebody picked it up so quickly is astounding. With all the valuable assistance, enhancements and time given on this site by the Power-Users (we know who they are) to all the rest of us...well, I can't say enough.

To davidfor, BR, Kovid...and the rest of the fix/enhancement team (I haven't figured out how that works yet), deepest respect and gratitude...as usual.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Polish=-Edit Book=-Run Check.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	242.7 KB
ID:	155592  
Old 03-11-2017, 06:12 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Bugger - that wasn't supposed to show up until the end of Lent

But seriously, Kovid would have seen your post and made the one line change to the jacket stylesheet css on the spot. Quicker to just get on with doing it rather than talk about it.

BTW I don't do any fixing or enhancing, I'm a behaviourist, Kovid and David are the constructionists

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-12-2017 at 06:03 AM.

Tags
jacket, polish, polishing, webkit-border-radius