Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-26-2013, 04:54 AM   #16
mointer
mointer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mointer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mointer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mointer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mointer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mointer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mointer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mointer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mointer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mointer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mointer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I recommend you Kindle Fire. Or you can download PDF ebeek reader software on your tablet pad.
mointer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:10 AM   #17
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
There is also the Onyx Boox M92 https://www.onyx-boox.com/onyx-boox-m92
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:00 PM   #18
Nitnat
Nitnat began at the beginning.

I know this thread is rather old, but I'm facing pretty much the same problem as the OP and am interested in his choice.

I tried a tablet PC since it seemed like the most versatile solution but I sold it again pretty fast. It's too distracting and just doesn't feel right.

Right now the onyx seems to get close to what I want, but it's odd that there are no reviews and it's also rather pricey.
Nitnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:28 PM   #19
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
There are no e-ink readers that I feel handle PDFs at a level that I wouldn't describe as "painful" (slow, unresponsive, lacking in tools and software). Tablets are the superior choice for PDFs, and right now the new (2013) Nexus 7 offers the best price/performance ratio. The downside is the 16:10 format. An iPad Mini may be more suitable (I'd wait for the announcement of the next model, which can't be far off), but then you go vastly beyond $200. (16 GB Nexus 7 is $229.)
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:58 PM   #20
Nitnat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
There are no e-ink readers that I feel handle PDFs at a level that I wouldn't describe as "painful" (slow, unresponsive, lacking in tools and software). Tablets are the superior choice for PDFs, and right now the new (2013) Nexus 7 offers the best price/performance ratio. The downside is the 16:10 format. An iPad Mini may be more suitable (I'd wait for the announcement of the next model, which can't be far off), but then you go vastly beyond $200. (16 GB Nexus 7 is $229.)
I actually owned a Nexus 7 (2012). It is rather small. And it wasn't very snappy handling pdfs (which as you said won't be any better with an eReader!). But mostly small. I feel size and ratio wise the iPad would be perfect (that's 9.7" ?). But it's way too expensive and I'd like to have an eInk display.

It's really quite unfortunate.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:20 PM   #21
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
I have only experience with a Nexus 7-2013 and the iPad 2 (which is slower than the 2012 version of the N7), and honestly, if you felt that the tablet felt sluggish when reading PDFs, there is a snowball-in-hell chance that you'd be comfortable with viewing PDFs on an e-ink reader. (Sony is working on a 13" one, but I expect it to be rather costly.)

The regular iPads are 9.7", and quite good for PDFs. Not so much because of the screen size, but because of the aspect ratio: 4:3 is much closer to DIN-A4/letter format than the 16:10 of the Nexus 7. The iPad Mini is just short of 8", and also has an aspect ratio of 4:3. But yes, both the mini and the regular iOS devices are relatively expensive for what they offer. If you opt for a mini, definitely wait for the next model. The current one's hardware is pretty dated.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:35 PM   #22
Nitnat

Quote:
I have only experience with a Nexus 7-2013 and the iPad 2 (which is slower than the 2012 version of the N7), and honestly, if you felt that the tablet felt sluggish when reading PDFs, there is a snowball-in-hell chance that you'd be comfortable with viewing PDFs on an e-ink reader. (Sony is working on a 13" one, but I expect it to be rather costly.)

The regular iPads are 9.7", and quite good for PDFs. Not so much because of the screen size, but because of the aspect ratio: 4:3 is much closer to DIN-A4/letter format than the 16:10 of the Nexus 7. The iPad Mini is just short of 8", and also has an aspect ratio of 4:3. But yes, both the mini and the regular iOS devices are relatively expensive for what they offer. If you opt for a mini, definitely wait for the next model. The current one's hardware is pretty dated.
You're probably right regarding the performance. Especially because I deal A LOT with scanned articles / books and scrolling, zooming/adjusting is always necessary.
I just checked on 4:3 Android tablets but apparently only Chinese off-brand companies seem to think that's a good idea. Which is beyond me, honestly!

I might give the new Nexus 7 a shot, I checked it out today in a store and apart from the size the new display is stunning. The test pdf I had also seemed to be loaded fast enough.
It is apparently the only device in this price range that comes close to a solution for my problem.

Thanks a lot for your input!
Old 09-25-2013, 11:27 PM   #23
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
I have a Nook HD+, which is 9" and I can't imagine reading on anything smaller.

But that works great for me. I use Perfect Viewer with the PDF plugin, so much quicker than the Adobe Reader for Android (and strangely, reads all PDFs, while Adobe's is very finicky)
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:27 AM   #24
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
Quote:
The regular iPads are 9.7", and quite good for PDFs.
Agreed. You might want to consider a second hand iPad. A 3gen (and upwards) with the retina screen is very good for handling PDFs. I work extensively with pdf files and find the full size iPad to be great for that. I've tried e-ink but IMO it's just too painful, as someone else said upthread.

I've written a blog post on e-ink vs tablets for pdf reading here.
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:36 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitnat View Post
I actually owned a Nexus 7 (2012). It is rather small. And it wasn't very snappy handling pdfs (which as you said won't be any better with an eReader!). But mostly small. I feel size and ratio wise the iPad would be perfect (that's 9.7" ?). But it's way too expensive and I'd like to have an eInk display.

It's really quite unfortunate.
Have you considered a 2nd-hand iPad? The iPad really does work extremely well as a PDF reader. I use mine for the purpose every day.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote