Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-25-2013, 07:26 PM   #16
Contortionist
Contortionist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Contortionist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Contortionist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Contortionist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Contortionist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Contortionist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Contortionist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Contortionist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Contortionist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Contortionist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Contortionist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Finally. I expected this sooner. Hopefully it gets implemented sometime in the next six months.
Contortionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:00 PM   #17
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti-Ron View Post
I a noob when talking about TTS and I seriously wondering what is the use of such a thing!

I'm not saying it's useless, but I can't figure how I would use this in my everyday life. For you, TTS users, are you using it to hear the story like bed time story for adult? I'm confuse!

Please, teach me!
I use it mostly because I'm often not up to using my eyes or holding the Kindle. When I'm feeling well, I love that I can get things done around the house or out, without putting my book down.

I prefer TTS to audiobooks because I find narration/actors impressions distracting, I like to highlight & save important passages, and I like to be able to read the text myself whenever I can.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:23 PM   #18
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
As others have mentioned, the primary use of TTS on Android is for navigation, but it can be used for speech output for anything. Google Now uses it for answering your questions (similar to Siri on the iPhone):
Me: "Google, what is the answer to life, the universe, and everything?"
Google (using TTS): "The answer to life, the universe, and everything is 42."

Also, as others have mentioned, the TTS Google included with Gingerbread and earlier sounded like a robotic imitation of speech. SVOX was pretty much the leader on Android and was a "required" purchase if you were going to use Google Navigation (more natural sounding). Ivona came out with a free beta on Android about a year and a half ago, and the voices are as good, and in many cases, better than SVOX. The built in TTS included with Ice Cream Sandwich and above is much more natural and I've not felt the need to load a third party TTS, but I'm still a fan of Ivona.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:03 PM   #19
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Too bad there goes another great product off the market. I was a big fan of ivona voice one of the more natural voices on the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti-Ron View Post
I a noob when talking about TTS ... TTS users, are you using it to hear the story like bed time story for adult? I'm confuse!

Please, teach me!
I read a lot but am very busy. So reading in combination TTS is a great way to read a book. Since I read faster than the TTS in prefer reading but if I'm driving, working out, or doing some task that requires me vision I use TTS. Then when I'm able to read I pickup where the TTS left off. For this reason I prefer TTS to audio books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
. The built in TTS included with Ice Cream Sandwich and above is much more natural and I've not felt the need to load a third party TTS, but I'm still a fan of Ivona.
Hm I don't know the TTS on my note is pretty bad. I still prefer Ivona and even SVox over Google... Don't get me started on Samsung's.

Last edited by =X=; 01-26-2013 at 02:52 AM.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:51 PM   #20
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Hm I don't know the TTS on my note is pretty bad. I still prefer Ivona and even SVox over Google... Don't get me started on Samsung's.
It's hard to know if a vendor may have "customized" it. I first noticed the marked improvement (over Gingerbread's) on Jellybean (4.1) on my Nexus 7, but my Atrix HD also sounded decent on ICS and I think I've tried it a time or two on my Sony Tablet S. Admittedly the third party TTS's have much more customization (different voices, ability to change pitch/speed, correcting mispronunciation, etc.). There've been a couple of times I've debated reloading Ivona, though.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:26 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Too bad there goes another great product off the market. I was a big fan of ivona voice one of the more natural voices on the market.
Why do you believe that it will disappear from the market? Amazon buy many companies - they buy them because they ARE successful.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:11 PM   #22
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why do you believe that it will disappear from the market? Amazon buy many companies - they buy them because they ARE successful.
Plus if they intend to use it, they can do so free of charge. They can also prevent licensing to competitors if Amazon so chooses. Smart business decision. Just like using their own DRM instead of making Adobe richer.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Plus if they intend to use it, they can do so free of charge. They can also prevent licensing to competitors if Amazon so chooses. Smart business decision. Just like using their own DRM instead of making Adobe richer.
Well, that's probably not a terribly good example, because Amazon did buy Mobi and then close them down, but they own numerous companies where that's not been the case.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:02 PM   #24
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
That demo is impressive. I would pay extra for a eink kindle with Ivona. Alas, amazon seems hellbent on making me buy a tablet.

As for why TTS, you'd know if you're ever too sick or tired to read by eyes.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:39 PM   #25
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Well, that's probably not a terribly good example, because Amazon did buy Mobi and then close them down, but they own numerous companies where that's not been the case.
They took a long time to do so, though.

A better example would be their purchase of Zappos or KIVA Systems.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...-takeover.html

Me, I'm still waiting for them to merge with UPS.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:55 PM   #26
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
That demo is impressive. I would pay extra for a eink kindle with Ivona. Alas, amazon seems hellbent on making me buy a tablet.

As for why TTS, you'd know if you're ever too sick or tired to read by eyes.
I would pay extra for a PW with Ivona TTS as well. I don't like reading on tablets, but if the Kindle phone has Ivona TTS, I'll get one.

Last edited by xendula; 01-27-2013 at 08:58 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:44 PM   #27
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:

From their track record, Amazon has taken to be more cut throat like Apple than open like Google. Also from the fact they that they do an extremely poor job supporting Android.

But more than anything I don't see this as a play for stand alone product I'm guessing Amazon is making a play at a voice assistance as well as better TTS for their fire.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:24 AM   #28
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
From their track record, Amazon has taken to be more cut throat like Apple than open like Google. Also from the fact they that they do an extremely poor job supporting Android.

But more than anything I don't see this as a play for stand alone product I'm guessing Amazon is making a play at a voice assistance as well as better TTS for their fire.
I love Amazon, but if they were to do that... Well, it's too terrible to contemplate.

I do think they need to be warned, though. Just in case someone there is foolish enough to think doing that wouldn't be a blight on their image and customer loyalty.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:04 PM   #29
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I know of one company that amazon bought and snuffed: lexcycle, maker of stanza, still my favorite ereader app for the iPad, way better than the kindle app or anything else. It's dead.

That won't happen to Ivona, of course, since it will be augmenting, not competing against, amazon's products.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:23 PM   #30
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Unless they want to make it an kindle-only exclusive feature.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, ivona, tts