Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-19-2008, 02:58 PM   #1
pcinfoman
Enthusiast
pcinfoman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader PRS-500
No Battery and Other Problems.

I was reading on my Sony PRS-500 last night and all was cool. I plugged it into my computer usb port to recharge like I do every night for about an hour then turned off the computer.

This morning, it turns on and shows that there is no battery life and then shuts off. I plugged in the usb cable and it brings up the icon showing that it is charging, when I unplug it, it says "No Battery" and shuts off.

I soft reset it (by holding the reset button for 10 seconds) and get the same results. I hard reset it (by turning it on while pressing the mark button and the volume up button) and it gives me the prompt to reset it, but before I can press it, it shuts off.

I called Sony support and they blew me off. They said that since I cannot find my receipt, it is out of warranty. Aside from the fact the Sony support sucks and I am going to bad mouth them forever, does anybody know how to solve my problem?

Now, it just booted up with the usb cable connected and it sits at the "cable connected icon" and does nothing. If I disconnect the cable, it sits at the main menu and says "Loading" and freezes. It won't even shut off.

HELP!!

Last edited by pcinfoman; 02-19-2008 at 03:03 PM.
pcinfoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:18 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What might be at issue is that you don't have enough juice left in the battery to use the USB port to charge it. Plug it into the AC adapter and if all is well, it will charge and you can use it. Plus charging via the AC adapter takes a lot less time then the USB port.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:55 PM   #3
pcinfoman
Enthusiast

I do not have an AC adapter for it. It did not come with it. I just plugged it into my Mac instead of the PC and it seems to be charging.

I am just wondering what drained it in the first place.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:00 PM   #4
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I've read about all sorts of strange USB port charging issues, including draining the battery. In my experience I've not found this method ideal nor totally reliable so I went and bought an inexpensive Sony PSP charger and use that method, works great
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:24 PM   #5
pcinfoman
Enthusiast

Maybe you are right. Where do I get one tho?
Old 02-19-2008, 06:33 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Anywhere, pretty much. Target, Best Buy, Circuit City, Game Stop, Wal-Mart, Wallgreens, FuncoLand, KB Toys, Toys R Us, Amazon.com, ....

You don't have to hold down the reset button in the back for 10 seconds to do a soft reset, BTW -- just clicking it is sufficient.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:18 PM   #7
pcinfoman
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Anywhere, pretty much. Target, Best Buy, Circuit City, Game Stop, Wal-Mart, Wallgreens, FuncoLand, KB Toys, Toys R Us, Amazon.com, ....
Thank you for this. I was not aware that you did not have to buy it online

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
You don't have to hold down the reset button in the back for 10 seconds to do a soft reset, BTW -- just clicking it is sufficient.
According to Sony's tech support, you have to hold it for 10 seconds. They were extremely adamant about it. Then again, their support is kinda sucky! So, it may not be an important issue.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:24 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I've never held mine for 10 seconds, only a quick click and then turn it back on.

I couldn't guess as to what the Sony Tech Support guys might be thinking, but it wouldn't be the first time the were a few degrees off True North, I suppose.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:39 PM   #9
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
I think it might have something to do with being plugged in into a turned off computer. Probably USB connection was not closed properly and it drained the Reader. I think it's better to disconnect the cable it before turning off the PC.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:14 PM   #10
gr8day2b
Lighting the Beacon!
gr8day2b began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, nook
One thought on the problem you had with charging it, I have a PRS-505, and took it into work to charge via my work laptop (previously I charged on my own laptop). I was thinking I like to read in bed, and a various times in evening, so use the down time at work to get a full charge.

Anyhoo -- The work laptop is a dinosaur, so I plugged it in, saw error msgs (normal for plugging a usb in at work), and noticed a yellow light on....three hours later I try it, and it keeps shutting off as soon as I try it.

Basically, since the usb connection wasn't set up correctly, it kept the reader running (trying to access?) so the yellow indicator, but did not charge it, and drained it instead.

Later when I rebooted, the reader connected properly and charged great. (strange, since my Archos or USB drives do not work on this laptop's usb).

Don't know if this is another piece of the puzzle of your charging problem, but thought I'd share.
gr8day2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:10 AM   #11
Shadowman
Shadowman began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500
SONY PRS 505 Charging Problems

All,

I had a PRS 500 with Charger (which broke, because my wife put a heavy piece of luggage on top of it and it came originally with a charger.

I bought the PRS 500 at Borders in BUF and connected it to my sony vaio Laptop and it charged! Red lamp was on.

After a couple days I tried the same and the ebook did not charge anymore through USB. I bought different USB cables -> no success. So I used the charger instead, which is a pain in the butt taking always this piece with me and I can't charge in the car to (Having an adapter which is giving USB DC out).

OK! PRS 500 broken, Called SONY, they offered me a refurbished one for $ 275 ;-) so I bought of course a new 505 in Silver.
What shall I tell you? The same effect! First charge loaded with USB. The second charge I plugged the USB cabel (which was in the SONY Box) in an AC / USB Adapter and the red light did not come up, even no yellow light. Tried yesterday different USB cabel and plugged them also in my LapTop -> Nothing, NADA!

Hardreset did not work. So like mentioned in this forum, I charged the reader with my old PRS 500 charger and made a hardreset and it works now.

So what is that for a crappy procedure? Is the ebook charging through USB or not? Do I have always to carry my charger from the PRS 500 with me?

Thanks guy's for any help. I do not want carry always my old charger and want to charge my ebook also ib the car.

Shadowman

Last edited by Shadowman; 07-23-2008 at 11:12 AM.
Shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:22 AM   #12
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
The charging with USB cable works only when connected to a computer. It should, however, charge from a laptop. Did you try another USB port or another laptop/PC?
Alternatively, you can buy a PSP car charger which will work fine with the Reader.
Here's one: http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/6093.htm
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:45 PM   #13
Shadowman

Hello igorsk (Master ;-),

by the way all your hacks worked great an my PRS500. here again THANK YOU! You are a great guy!

Yes, I tried both USB ports on my SONY VAIO VGN S5M and both on my SONY VAIO A317M. The same problem.
I figured too, that my Iphone charges through I pod USB cable not from all USB devices.

OKAY and thx, I will look to get a PSP cable.

THX

Shadowman
Old 07-23-2008, 04:57 PM   #14
Shadowman

Hey Igorsk,

I miss a clock in my PRS 505. Is there a hack out? Probably I am to dumb to find it ;-)

THX

Shadowman
Old 07-23-2008, 05:48 PM   #15
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Shadowman--

Here's the thread where you can download the hack posted by JS Wolf that lets you add the clock and other goodies to your 505.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote