Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-28-2010, 08:38 PM   #16
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Just wait.. other companies will be using the new screens. I'm thinking Sony and B&N later this year.
They'd better.
ePub religion will only carry them so far. And if they let Amazon be *cheaper* and have the *better* screen...

Nook has a new 3G product in FCC testing so that may have the pearl screen. Sony? We'll see; its time to put up or shut up for Sony, I think.

What's the old saying? "Lead, follow or get out of the way"?
I fear we'll see quite a few players getting out of the way, given the new Kindle's features and their international pricing.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:40 PM   #17
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Doesn't Amazon have some exclusive right to the new pearl screen? Something like six-months, I think. I may be misremembering that.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:48 PM   #18
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Doesn't Amazon have some exclusive right to the new pearl screen? Something like six-months, I think. I may be misremembering that.
Where'd you hear that?
Just asking, cause that would be deadly if they did.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:50 PM   #19
Ajax
Addict
Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4 Touch, Kindle Fire, HP Touchpad
The biggest reasons I'm going to be ordering as soon as it's available.

Graphite color, smaller keyboard, and they kept page turn buttons on both sides!!!!

The only reason I haven't bought a DX yet is the lack of page turn buttons on both sides.
Ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:51 PM   #20
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
This is probably a silly question, but I am tech challenged. Will I need the 3G option to be able to download books in a non wi-fi covered area ) or does whispernet magically do this some other way)?
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:58 PM   #21
OrcaBlue
Groupie
OrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
If Sony releases a new version of PRS-505 and PRS-600 with the new Pearl screen, it still remain a strong contender.

If it releases a 9.7" Pearl screen reader with the touch screen capability. It will make a better option for technical pdf and academic crowd.

If they resolved the glare issue with the touch screen, then we got the perfect reader.
OrcaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:00 PM   #22
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImogenRose View Post
Will I need the 3G option to be able to download books in a non wi-fi covered area ) or does whispernet magically do this some other way)?
With all Kindles (and all other dedicated ebook readers), you have the option of downloading the ebook to a Mac/PC and "side loading" it onto the Kindle via USB.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:12 PM   #23
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
With all Kindles (and all other dedicated ebook readers), you have the option of downloading the ebook to a Mac/PC and "side loading" it onto the Kindle via USB.
I've got a K1 at the moment, I don't need to use a usb for download. My question is whether I need the 3G option to download when I am not within wi-fi range?
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:16 PM   #24
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcaBlue View Post
If Sony releases a new version of PRS-505 and PRS-600 with the new Pearl screen, it still remain a strong contender.

If it releases a 9.7" Pearl screen reader with the touch screen capability. It will make a better option for technical pdf and academic crowd.

If they resolved the glare issue with the touch screen, then we got the perfect reader.
If this new kindle had epub support, it would be gameover for sony. As it is I think I am going to ditch my PRS505 in favor of having whispernet ability for a kindle, kindle app for ipad, ipod touch, android phone, and finally for kindle4PC.

Anyone want to buy a PRS505?
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:17 PM   #25
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
I've got a K1 at the moment, I don't need to use a usb for download. My question is whether I need the 3G option to download when I am not within wi-fi range?
Yes you would need some sort of internet connection to download books and/or to whispersync.

If you have an internet connected computer that would work to download the books, but no whispersync
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:17 PM   #26
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Where'd you hear that?
Just asking, cause that would be deadly if they did.
I'm trying to remember. I think I read it at engadget, within the last week. Sorry, I can't link anything official to verify.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:18 PM   #27
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Yes, if you are not in a Wi-Fi area/hotspot/whatever and you do not want to connect via USB to a computer then you will need 3G.

I have a K1 but honestly, rarely use the 3G. I have a huge TBR stack (or folder!) and I usually browse online on my PC and "buy" my ebooks...and then download them all at once. So my behavior is perfect for wifi cuz I can do exactly the same and connect via wifi on my network at home or in a hotspot or download to my PC and transfer them.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:19 PM   #28
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes, you would.
The K1 and K2 only had 3G; the WiFi is new to the K3.
So if you need the 3G, you need the higher-priced model.
If you don't, you can get the WiFi-only version.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:23 PM   #29
OrcaBlue
Groupie
OrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
If this new kindle had epub support, it would be gameover for sony. As it is I think I am going to ditch my PRS505 in favor of having whispernet ability for a kindle, kindle app for ipad, ipod touch, android phone, and finally for kindle4PC.

Anyone want to buy a PRS505?
The one reason why I prefer Sony readers is that you don't have to worry about your books might disappear on its own. With a Sony, your books belong to you. It also seemed that the new Kindle DXG firmware still have very limited PDF support.

I would buy your PRS505, but then again I am looking for a larger screen device with touch screen, dictionary support, annotation, and markup.
OrcaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:29 PM   #30
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
And that is the first time I've ever seen a Kindle, and wanted one. Finally compact enough to not look like the screen on a 1950's cabinet TV.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote