Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-11-2007, 09:48 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One of the stupidest auctions on Ebay for reader stuff

http://cgi.ebay.com/How-To-Make-eBoo...QQcmdZViewItem

We give that away for free and help people with it. Plus we let them know where and how to get the software. This seller is a sleazy slimy scumbag.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 09:59 PM   #2
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This seller is a sleazy slimy scumbag.
And that surprises you?
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2007, 10:06 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Doesn't surprise me. Just saddens me given the way ebay works now. They've made it so bidders are kept anonymous. The way it used to be, I could find out who placed a big. Then I'd be able to send a message and tell the person of MobileRead. Too bad to hapless bidders (if there are any).
Old 08-11-2007, 10:15 PM   #4
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

I remember when e-books first started getting noticed. Every other book I saw was a variation on "How to Get Rich Selling an E-Book." Or maybe those were just heavily marketed to writers. It was like the old "Send me $5 and I'll tell you the secret to getting idiots to send you $5" scam.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:16 PM   #5
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
If you read the description, to use the "method" you need both MS Word and Adobe Acrobat. So their secret method that they have figured out for you is use PDF files sized to the screen -- the same stuff that Adobe has already given away for free and that has been posted here at MobileRead.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2007, 10:18 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

And this twat expects the average person to have Acrobat? What a wanker.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:23 PM   #7
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Plus he's selling several ebooks. Wow, maybe we should start our own auctions selling Steve Jordan's ebooks. But then again Steve would probably want a cut of the money we collected.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 10:29 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

This line in the auction is really a hoot...

Quote:
The Sony reader ALSO displays photos! Our unique method even explains that as well – so your Sony reader documents can be fully represented in its e-book version that you can make!
I never knew the reader displayed photos. WOW! And this unique method is handed down from MobileReader to MobileReader. LOL!

One of his other auctions that Christion book he claims is in the same genre as CS Lewi's Narnia series is just way over the top. This guy is a hoser and a wanker and is only good for a laugh.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:43 AM   #9
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Doesn't surprise me. Just saddens me given the way ebay works now. They've made it so bidders are kept anonymous. The way it used to be, I could find out who placed a big. Then I'd be able to send a message and tell the person of MobileRead. Too bad to hapless bidders (if there are any).
Yeah, it kinda sucks that you can't warn anyone before the auction. You can still hand out free information once the auction is over, since then all bidders are no longer anonymous.

There's always some slimebucket out there willing to take advantage of innocent people, really blows to see it happen. n: Every now and then I'll spot someone trying to scam someone on eBay, be it by using a stolen account or using some other unscrupulous practice, and I'll report them; heheh, the auction is usually closed in a few hours!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 07:46 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Notice too, that all the screenshots are of the Connect version of "The Da Vinci Code" - certainly not content that you can legally create yourself .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 07:56 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Notice too, that all the screenshots are of the Connect version of "The Da Vinci Code" - certainly not content that you can legally create yourself .
Stock Sony photos. HAHAHAHA!
Old 08-12-2007, 09:48 AM   #12
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
I wonder if it isn't the document on optimizing PDFs for Sony that is free anyway.

http://downloads.oreilly.com/make/PDFsforSONYreader.pdf

(If I had any more guts I'd post a question asking exactly that, "Is this the same book available for free at ____" ) And see if it gets a response....
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 10:06 AM   #13
jasonkchapman
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azayzel View Post
Yeah, it kinda sucks that you can't warn anyone before the auction. You can still hand out free information once the auction is over, since then all bidders are no longer anonymous.
You could always put up an identical auction, listing the same "secrets", with a "Buy it Now" price of $.01.

In the ad, you supply a ton of links to MobileRead.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:23 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
You could always put up an identical auction, listing the same "secrets", with a "Buy it Now" price of $.01.

In the ad, you supply a ton of links to MobileRead.
Good idea.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:39 PM   #15
irishjew
Enthusiast
irishjew doesn't litteririshjew doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
I find it funny that a lot of people on MobileRead forums are attacking this guy, but at the same time they defend Sony's practice of charging more for ebooks than the hardcovers cost. I mean, both groups are ripping off the customers.
irishjew is offline   Reply With Quote