Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-17-2013, 12:26 AM   #36046
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
Trying to decide which Victorinox Swiss Army knife I want. I've got a nice Leatherman knife for when I'm working in the store. That one only has one blade (half smooth, half serrated) and for in my handbag I want an a-lot-in-one knife. At the moment I'm leaning towards the SwissChamp knife (33 tools).
It's hard to find a better knife in that price range than the Victorinox Swiss Army knife. The steel takes and holds a fine edge, and the care and craftsmanship of the tools is top notch! But do you really think you'd use the fish scaler or hook disgorger? I never did. Nor did I use the metal saw, although the wood saw came in hand often. Then there is that 'hook' thing. Even the folks at Victorinox are divided on what that's supposed to be used for! All the different screw drivers are great, as is the awl and the scissors. I used the magnifying lens frequently too. They used to make a model, no longer in production, that is similar to what they now call the 'Original,' that had all of what I wanted without the hook thing. Wood saw, scissors, awl, all the screw drivers, large and small blade, and magnifying lens. And of course, the toothpick and tweezers. Very thin and lightweight, but with everything I wanted and nothing that I didn't. I still have that knife, tucked away in my collection.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:14 AM   #36047
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
It's hard to find a better knife in that price range than the Victorinox Swiss Army knife. The steel takes and holds a fine edge, and the care and craftsmanship of the tools is top notch! But do you really think you'd use the fish scaler or hook disgorger? I never did. Nor did I use the metal saw, although the wood saw came in hand often. Then there is that 'hook' thing. Even the folks at Victorinox are divided on what that's supposed to be used for! All the different screw drivers are great, as is the awl and the scissors. I used the magnifying lens frequently too. They used to make a model, no longer in production, that is similar to what they now call the 'Original,' that had all of what I wanted without the hook thing. Wood saw, scissors, awl, all the screw drivers, large and small blade, and magnifying lens. And of course, the toothpick and tweezers. Very thin and lightweight, but with everything I wanted and nothing that I didn't. I still have that knife, tucked away in my collection.

Stitchawl
I love Victorinox, I've already got one of their knives, one with a small and a big blade, which lives in my art box. I like my Leatherman because I can open it with one hand and it's nice and pointy which makes it easier to open boxes and packages in the store.

There was a documentary on National Geographic about Victorinox and they said the hook was originally used as a parcel carrier (hook it on the twine binding the package so it's easy to carry), this might also work for those cheap plastic bags that cut into your hand.

The fish tools I won't use, at least not for fish. However, with our store I've learned to be creative in the use of tools so maybe I find another use for it. The metal saw will probably be used in our store, considering how often misplaces the small metal saw.

My father can't understand why I want such a big knife, he only wants thin knives which you hardly notice when carrying it in your pocket (he also has a two bladed Victorinox). But seeing how often I need a screwdriver, a plier or another small tool both at home but also when I'm housesitting or when I'm on holiday I want a multitool. I thought about getting the Handyman, which also got a lot of tools, however, it's not much more cheaper than the SwissChamp so I'll go for the latter one.
Rumpelteazer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:39 AM   #36048
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just bought an ebook on Amazon. When I got the confirmation email I saw that the text for the "manage your kindle" button (I have images off so you only see the text placeholder) says "mange your Kindle" . Not sure if I want to do that now, it might infect my Kindle .
Old 05-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #36049
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Preparing for my trip to Antwerp next weekend. I went to the outdoor/travel store today and got a lot more than I planned. Now I'm looking for things to do for both when the weather is good and when it's raining, since the weather prediction seems to change about every hour at the moment. Suggestions are, of course, always welcome!
Old 05-21-2013, 02:02 PM   #36050
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Preparing for my trip to Antwerp next weekend. I went to the outdoor/travel store today and got a lot more than I planned. Now I'm looking for things to do for both when the weather is good and when it's raining, since the weather prediction seems to change about every hour at the moment. Suggestions are, of course, always welcome!
I would buy a 'spork'. That is an eating implement of plastic which is a fork on the one side, a spoon on the other and has a small cutting edge. I always carry one when traveling

Last edited by desertblues; 05-06-2015 at 11:22 AM.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:08 PM   #36051
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
I would buy a 'spork'. That is an eating implement of plastic which is a fork on the one side, a spoon on the other and has a small cutting edge. I always carry one when traveling
I didn't get a spork, I got a knife, fork, spoon and teaspoon all separately. I had planned on getting a small GoToob and a cup and I ended up with a small and a medium GoToob, a cup, cutlery and a packet of soap leaves for in my bag. Somehow travel and hardware/DIY store have the effect on me that I always buy more than I need, or rather, that I find more things that I need than I thought .
Old 05-21-2013, 03:28 PM   #36052
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I didn't get a spork, I got a knife, fork, spoon and teaspoon all separately. I had planned on getting a small GoToob and a cup and I ended up with a small and a medium GoToob, a cup, cutlery and a packet of soap leaves for in my bag. Somehow travel and hardware/DIY store have the effect on me that I always buy more than I need, or rather, that I find more things that I need than I thought .
Dangerous places, those outdoor-shops..........
Old 05-21-2013, 03:34 PM   #36053
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Dangerous places, those outdoor-shops..........
Yes!

And now you made me want to get my own spork so I have to go back . This way I won't have any money left to spend in Antwerp!
Old 05-21-2013, 04:09 PM   #36054
desertblues
Home for the moment

Quote:
Yes!

And now you made me want to get my own spork so I have to go back . This way I won't have any money left to spend in Antwerp!
he, he.....a spork is unbreakable, takes hardly any space, comes in many attractive colors and you don't have to wash it, just wipe it........
Old 05-21-2013, 06:06 PM   #36055
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
he, he.....a spork is unbreakable, takes hardly any space, comes in many attractive colors and you don't have to wash it, just wipe it........
And can also serve as an effective defensive weapon!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:03 PM   #36056
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
having a Grey Goose Vodka Martini.. thinking how I can get rid of the top and bottom script on the Kobo Glo and Aura reader firmware.. my Kindle is just a simple page.. no headers or footers.. Kindle wins with simplicity, otherwise I like the Kobo.. any suggestions?
Doug
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:06 PM   #36057
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDoug View Post
having a Grey Goose Vodka Martini.. thinking how I can get rid of the top and bottom script on the Kobo Glo and Aura reader firmware.. my Kindle is just a simple page.. no headers or footers.. Kindle wins with simplicity, otherwise I like the Kobo.. any suggestions?
Doug
If it can be done/hacked - someone in the Kobo forum will come up with it ... or wait for 2.5.3 ....

Last edited by poohbear_nc; 05-21-2013 at 07:33 PM.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:24 PM   #36058
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
If it can be done/hacked - someone in the Kobo forum will come up with it ... or wait for 2.3.3 ....
poohbear.. I would think with all the complaints about it, I would hope Kobo will address the issue.. I hope so.
Thanks,
Doug
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:48 PM   #36059
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
We must have 6-8 sporks around. I keep finding more as we pack. We had one each in our 'Earthquake Emergency Packs,' keep one each in our travel shoulder bags, found two more in with the extra camping gear... Who knows how many more we'll find this week!

Here's "Mr. Spork..."

Stitchawl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mr_spork.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	106111  

Last edited by Stitchawl; 05-21-2013 at 08:50 PM.
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:14 AM   #36060
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Just now I'm browsing MobileRead, of course, but shortly I'll be out to cut another hedge. (I have three. This is the third.)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?