Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-18-2011, 07:19 PM   #16
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmosh View Post
I can't replicate those results either, Nigol. I went from 1.9.2 to 1.9.4.

Now... on a side note. I am wondering if anyone experiences very very very slight ghosting despite full screen refreshes? For instance, it is most noticable when in a book and returning to the home screen. On the greyer shades of book covers, text from the previous screen can be seen very faintly. Also, when entering the Books list from the home screen, even after a full refresh the old page can be seen very faintly on the white background.

It is so faint that I believe it must be the way that the technology works, although I didn't see this on the older Kobo (or so I don't think). I also don't think I saw this on a Kindle, although maybe I was mistaken.
I checked for ghosting and as you say when returning from the Home screen to a page with a lot of white space a 'ghost' of the main page can be seen. However, the ghost is very faint compared to those seen with the 1.9.2 firmware version and of course with a refresh setting of every page, disappears with the next page turn.

I checked for this problem on my Kobo original and it is not there BUT you are not taken directly back to the page you were reading. Another page with a quote is first displayed so there is a page fresh before being taken back to the book you were reading.

Regards,
Joe

Last edited by Joe563; 06-18-2011 at 07:31 PM.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:42 PM   #17
Nigol
Groupie
Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe563 View Post
I have the 1.9.4 version of the firmware but have not been able to replicate the results you report. I tried with two different books and when returning to the Home page the book I was reading was shown. I did have the 1.9.3 version before I got 1.9.4 and I wonder if this might account for the differences in outcome.

Regards,
Joe
I just looked into the database and think I know why I have this problem. When I did a factory reset yesterday it changed the date and the Time Zone. I added all the books. After that I found out that the time zone was not correct (changed it to 0 to -4). So after changing the time zone correctly the time changed also .

So the books I am reading have an older read time than the ones I just added before changing it. So not per say a bug, but it could be a fix that when you change the time zone it updates the database times accordingly.

So the problem should fix itself in a couple of hours.

Last edited by Nigol; 06-18-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Nigol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:24 AM   #18
wes101
Zealot
wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post

Can you try a factory reset and then try the upgrade again?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wes101 View Post
i will try when i get home
i did a reset and it was on step 3/3 for 10 or so minutes the spinning status wheel moves for a second that freezes again. I closed the program and uninstalled it and redownloaded it

Edit

I downloaded the app again but the software part only lasted for 5 or so seconds so i don't think it gave me 1.9.3

Edit

it said something went wrong during the syncing, i started it over

Edit

It managed to sync my books but it still says im at 1.9, evin if i cant get 1.9.3 i should still be able to get 1.9.2

i uninstalled the app again and redownloaded it and went to sync again it and it said

"oops, something went wrong, An error occurred while writing to your ereader please try syncing again"

edit, did 2 more factory resets and used a differnet usb port that sounded more secured when i plugged in the cord and synced my kobo and now iam at 1.9.4

im Loving the page refresh feature

Last edited by wes101; 06-19-2011 at 03:50 AM.
wes101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:37 AM   #19
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by wes101 View Post
edit, did 2 more factory resets and used a differnet usb port that sounded more secured when i plugged in the cord and synced my kobo and now iam at 1.9.4

im Loving the page refresh feature
Glad you've arrived over here at 1.9.4!

The only way I could see the ghosting with 1.9.2 was bring the reader close up ... which is why it didn't bother me. I'm doubtful I'd have noticed it if it hadn't been discussed on this forum so much. However, it did present a "greyer" background and I could see a "whitening" on what I gather was the 6th refresh. It appears to me to be pretty eliminated now and the result is also a "whiter" screen all the time.

The page taps seem more reliable; the turns faster -- all performance seems peppier; and wifi tweaks appear to me to have been invoked for more reliable reconnection.

And it's very cool to see Kobo made its target of having the unit in Border US stores in time for Father's Day! (Happy US Release Anniversary, Kobo!)
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:58 PM   #20
Toastedpine
Connoisseur
Toastedpine doesn't litterToastedpine doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Touch
Just got my update as well. They've fixed the issue of the zoom in landscape view going staying where it was in the previous page. It's now going to the top left of the next page, which has made my reading a lot easier.

I tested the browser, and there didn't seem to be any changes. It still can't select options from dropdown menus, which is somewhat of a drag. What does a computer need to make dropdown selection possible btw?

I really like that I can turn pages now with more confidence than I did previously. It was starting to mess with my head since I found myself unconsciously begging every time I tried to turn a page.
Toastedpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:11 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I am wondering if the same buggy version of ADE was used on the Kobo Touch. Do embedded fonts work is the font declaration is used in the body of the CSS?

body {
font-family: Charis;
margin-top: 0;
margin-bottom: 0;
margin-left: 0;
margin-right: 0;
widows: 0;
orphans: 0;
line-height: 1.1em
}

Obviously, the font family I've chosen may not be the one that goes with the embedded font. But, a lot of publishers use Charis and it's put in body to activate it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:49 PM   #22
toolio
Enthusiast
toolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Reader/IPAQ 210/Ipod Touch
I've installed the firmware update, and like others find page turning much more responsive. I was annoyed by the "fading" of some letters/words before the sixth page turn in the previous firmware, which now seems much better. (I've never really noticed "ghosting" so I can't comment on that.)

I just want to thank the Kobo folks for being so responsive. In a world where much is promised and often not delivered, it's great to see a company taking complaints and suggestions seriously and acting on them so quickly. I really enjoy the Kobo Touch, and am happy to have purchased from a company that cares about its customers' concerns.

Keep up the good work, Kobo. It is appreciated.
toolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:01 PM   #23
joshmosh
Enthusiast
joshmosh began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Yup! Super responsive page turns...especially when flipping through them fast. Now it is a rival of the Kindle 3 for page turn speed! Thanks Kobo for listening to customers and delivering on fixing the ghosting issue and speed. Now the rest of the features requested we can patiently wait for to ensure top notch implementation...I believe the day is coming when the Kobo will be at the top of the pack =)
joshmosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:08 AM   #24
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
I have a brand new KT on its way to me. When it arrives, how do I ensure that I get the latest firmware upgrade?

Is it simply a case of downloading the new kobo desktop app and then plugging in the KT?
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:16 AM   #25
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Correct. During the initial setup stage you are prompted to install the new desktop and plug the Touch into the computer.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:18 AM   #26
petemjones
petemjones began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Axim X50V, Literati, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipippa View Post
I have a brand new KT on its way to me. When it arrives, how do I ensure that I get the latest firmware upgrade?

Is it simply a case of downloading the new kobo desktop app and then plugging in the KT?
I got a new Kobo Touch on the weekend for Father's day and really really like it.

The first thing it did after being plugged in the my PC with Kobo desktop already running was to download the latest firnware and it was updated in a few minutes.

Everything seems to work well.
petemjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:39 AM   #27
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
There will be directions, just follow them You don't have to download the desktop first. The instructions on your Kobo screen will be to go to the kobosetup.com with the Kobo attached via USB and go from there. Downloading the (right) desktop is part of the process.

Last edited by taming; 06-20-2011 at 08:49 AM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:50 AM   #28
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
SUDUKO issues

has anyone completely finished the suduko game and won?

I finished the whole board correctly and could not a get a screen to say it was done correctly?

At any reate how does one on the KT get the game to acknowledge human mastery for instance, by saying congratulations you won? or if you got it wrong etc...

Anyone.. thats not to say I am not missing something.

regards

jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:18 PM   #29
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Another way of viewing Kobo's "responsiveness", is that they knowingly shipped fairly buggy software to get it out the door for Father's Day, and now they are playing catch-up...

I returned my KT, based on poor touch performance, general sluggishness, and horrid typography.

Can/will they fix all these problems? I don't know, but the Nook Touch doesn't seem to have them (aside from offal (sic) PDF support).
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:28 PM   #30
joshmosh
Enthusiast
joshmosh began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
Another way of viewing Kobo's "responsiveness", is that they knowingly shipped fairly buggy software to get it out the door for Father's Day, and now they are playing catch-up...

I returned my KT, based on poor touch performance, general sluggishness, and horrid typography.

Can/will they fix all these problems? I don't know, but the Nook Touch doesn't seem to have them (aside from offal (sic) PDF support).
The performance and sluggishness is now fixed while an option for page refresh intervals is now added. It is very quick now...this coming from someone who has used a K3. Although loading books is still a little slow, I can afford to wait the 4-8 seconds it takes to load a book. Waking from sleep on the other hand is almost instantaneous.

Typography is somewhat a preference. The Kobo looks more like a book whereas the K3 looks a little too bold and heavy to be a book. More options of course would be nice -- that way there is no arguing
joshmosh is offline   Reply With Quote