Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 02-24-2009, 02:53 PM   #1
rakis
rakis began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin v3 or Kindle
Question Lonely Planets on ebook readers

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anybody has tried out the "buy by chapter" Lonely Planet PDFs (found here ) on a Hanlin v3 device. I'm going to do quite a bit of traveling in the coming months, and one of these devices would be a godsend compared to carrying 20 guidebooks around. Thanks so much for you input!

-Ray
rakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:42 PM   #2
pox67
Connoisseur
pox67 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (stolen), Bebook
Rakis, sorry I just came across your message. Apparently there are free chapters from the Lonly Planet site but I couldn't find them. I grabbed a chapter though.

I have a Bebook with the February firmware installed.

Initial layout isn't great, tiny text and white space borders down the sides. Pretty much unreadable.

Next zoom size: quite readable and graphs are OK. Maps are just readable but full page ones get split over 2 pages and so you need to go back and forwards.

Next zoom size: easily readable but pages are now horizontal. Pictures and graphs are easily readable but a PDF page is spread over 3 Bebook screens.

This is pretty much what I was expecting as a 6" screen doesn't do PDFs well.
The Hanlin's only have a 4 grey scale screen which makes maps and pictures pretty ugly. The chapters are pretty cheap so if you can't find the free examples grab one and give it a go.

On a 8-10" screen these chapters would be completely viable.
pox67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2009, 10:24 AM   #3
rakis
rakis began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin v3 or Kindle
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pox67 View Post
Rakis, sorry I just came across your message. Apparently there are free chapters from the Lonly Planet site but I couldn't find them. I grabbed a chapter though.

I have a Bebook with the February firmware installed.

Initial layout isn't great, tiny text and white space borders down the sides. Pretty much unreadable.

Next zoom size: quite readable and graphs are OK. Maps are just readable but full page ones get split over 2 pages and so you need to go back and forwards.

Next zoom size: easily readable but pages are now horizontal. Pictures and graphs are easily readable but a PDF page is spread over 3 Bebook screens.

This is pretty much what I was expecting as a 6" screen doesn't do PDFs well.
The Hanlin's only have a 4 grey scale screen which makes maps and pictures pretty ugly. The chapters are pretty cheap so if you can't find the free examples grab one and give it a go.

On a 8-10" screen these chapters would be completely viable.

Thanks much for that info!!!
rakis is offline   Reply With Quote