Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-10-2023, 09:11 AM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Sony ereader lighted cover question

I don't know whether this is the right place for this question.

I have an incredibly ancient Sony ereader - I'm thinking a T2, but my long-ago me put a skin on it, and I can't find the details. It's in a cover with a light in the cover.

I just got it out, and the ereader is charging, so it still works, but of course the light in the cover is dead, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to open the battery case to change the battery. Because this is all so ancient, Google is no help. The slider position at the base of the battery case doesn't seem to do anything.

Can anyone help me on this? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sony ereader.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	205110  
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 11:53 AM   #2
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
That slider is probably the light switch. That rectangular compartment beside the one with the switch looks like it may hold a battery. Try putting something into that little slot near the top of the compartment and prying up the lid.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2023, 12:38 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post

I have an incredibly ancient Sony ereader - I'm thinking a T2, but my long-ago me put a skin on it, and I can't find the details. It's in a cover with a light in the cover.

I just got it out, and the ereader is charging, so it still works, but of course the light in the cover is dead, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to open the battery case to change the battery. Because this is all so ancient, Google is no help. The slider position at the base of the battery case doesn't seem to do anything.

That is a Sony Reader PRS-650.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 03:50 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I agree, likely a PRS-650 as it similar to my PRS-350. Not at all like the T1 or T2 (the T2 has shaped buttons like icons).

The PRS-350 is pretty good, so this should be too.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 08:34 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

If the light is not working, then you need to replace the battery. It uses 1 or 2 AA batteries.

Here is where you can buy a new battery for your 650 and here is a video on how to replace the battery.

https://newpower99.com/products/sony...5d8d9c28&_ss=r

JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2023, 12:50 PM   #6
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I don't need a new battery for the device, only for the cover light.

Also, when I connect it to my computer, it doesn't' show up as a connected device. Do I need to do something special to the Windows Explorer to find it?

ETA: I did get the light battery compartment open and changed the battery, but now can't get the light to turn off.

Last edited by BeccaPrice; 12-12-2023 at 12:56 PM.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 02:14 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
The battery holder is hinged on the right side. You should be able to open it by pulling up on the left side. There is a slot there (on the left) for your finger, half way down in the middle. It takes one triple AAA battery.

Last edited by rcentros; 12-12-2023 at 02:17 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 02:20 PM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
ETA: I did get the light battery compartment open and changed the battery, but now can't get the light to turn off.
It should turn on automatically when you lift the light out of its slot. I'm guessing it has a magnetic switch.
Old 12-12-2023, 02:25 PM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
That slider is probably the light switch.
That switch has two settings, dimmer and brighter. What turns the light on is lifting the light from its slot, so it must also have an internal (magnetic) switch.

Correction: There is a small switch just below the battery compartment. It should open when you lift the light out of its slot. If your light is still not working, it's possible that switch is stuck in. (See attachment for switch location.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	switch.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	244.4 KB
ID:	205186  

Last edited by rcentros; 12-13-2023 at 08:39 AM.