Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-29-2022, 12:23 PM   #31
spacepope
Zealot
spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 3, Smartphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
Hoopla has no ebooks in my county, but another county has a decent supply of audiobooks and ebooks in Hoopla.
Not sure which county you got a card in, but Montgomery County MD (MCPL) has a really nice collection of books and audio through Hoopla.
spacepope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 01:23 PM   #32
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Libby is an Overdrive app. It handles ePub and audiobooks. Stark is not switching from Overdrive to Libby. What they are doing is switching from the Overdrive app to Libby. I'm guessing that the Overdrive app may no longer work.
Heavens to Betsy, I left out the word "app" in my post. Floggings are in order.

It must be exhausting to be you. To have to read every.single.post, on the lookout for a mistyped or missing word. And then to make sure the offending party is duly notified of their offense.

When do you sleep?
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2022, 01:40 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Heavens to Betsy, I left out the word "app" in my post. Floggings are in order.

It must be exhausting to be you. To have to read every.single.post, on the lookout for a mistyped or missing word. And then to make sure the offending party is duly notified of their offense.

When do you sleep?
Leaving out that one word changes the meaning completely,
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 01:47 PM   #34
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Leaving out that one word changes the meaning completely,
I'm fairly sure most readers here were able to deduce what I meant, given the topic of this thread.

But it's nice you're here to make sure.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 05:29 PM   #35
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
I'm not aware of any libraries that offer non-resident library cards, but Tennessee actually did something right for a change and made one large ebook library for the entire state. Thanks to this, even if you live in a small town here, you have access to a large selection of ebooks, audiobooks, magazines, and videos through R.E.A.D.S. (Regional eBook and Audiobook Download System), which is run by Overdrive. Looks like there's 77,581 Kindle titles, 72,550 epub & 22,164 audiobooks.

They even made it incredibly simple to use. Your local library card is your login, so I just select my library and type in my whopping four digit card number and have full access. I noticed they've added a mobile phone number verification as well, somehow using it to determine if your zip code's in the state.
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2022, 08:45 PM   #36
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manabi View Post
I'm not aware of any libraries that offer non-resident library cards, but Tennessee actually did something right for a change and made one large ebook library for the entire state. Thanks to this, even if you live in a small town here, you have access to a large selection of ebooks, audiobooks, magazines, and videos through R.E.A.D.S. (Regional eBook and Audiobook Download System), which is run by Overdrive. Looks like there's 77,581 Kindle titles, 72,550 epub & 22,164 audiobooks.

They even made it incredibly simple to use. Your local library card is your login, so I just select my library and type in my whopping four digit card number and have full access. I noticed they've added a mobile phone number verification as well, somehow using it to determine if your zip code's in the state.
It looks like at least some of the member libraries have out-of-state / non-resident options, although the two I see don't specifically say if they include e-books. There is a large list of libraries to check here although many of the links aren't live: https://reads.overdrive.com/support/members

Williamson County Public Library: https://www.wcpltn.org/438/Get-a-Library-Card-Account
$25/semi-annually ($50/year)

Germantown Community Library: https://www.germantown-tn.gov/servic.../library-cards
$50/year
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 11:32 PM   #37
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
It looks like most florida counties have an out of state program.
The Martin County Library System is $50 a year or has cheaper options for three months
https://www.martin.fl.us/Libraries - They have Overdrive/Libby, etc, with Overdrive here - https://martin.overdrive.com/ - Only looks to have a bit over 11,000 ebooks on Overdrive though
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 11:56 PM   #38
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've looked around on St Louis Library and do not see an option to get a non-resident card. Am I missing it somewhere? I see when you do access their Overdrive, that it links to two other libraries in their network as well with their own Overdrive pages

https://www.slpl.org/get-a-card/
Old 07-30-2022, 12:38 AM   #39
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
I've looked around on St Louis Library and do not see an option to get a non-resident card. Am I missing it somewhere? I see when you do access their Overdrive, that it links to two other libraries in their network as well with their own Overdrive pages

https://www.slpl.org/get-a-card/
You have to become "friend of the library" for $40. They give you a card.

https://www.slpl.org/slpl-foundation/become-a-friend/

However, I feel there are better option out there.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 01:18 AM   #40
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
You have to become "friend of the library" for $40. They give you a card.

https://www.slpl.org/slpl-foundation/become-a-friend/

However, I feel there are better option out there.
Ah okay thank you, that makes sense.

I have read a few posts on the Reddit forum that many are able to get one from the Broward county in Florida - but the website isn't loading, must be down.
Old 07-30-2022, 01:49 AM   #41
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
Ah okay thank you, that makes sense.

I have read a few posts on the Reddit forum that many are able to get one from the Broward county in Florida - but the website isn't loading, must be down.
The website says it requires in-person registration. How did they get the cards?

Quote:
Non-Resident All Access Card – Full access to borrow all Broward County Library materials and use online resources. Valid for up to one year and costs $50. (Visit a Broward County Library to obtain card.)
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 05:00 AM   #42
JBaby
Zealot
JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 11th Gen Paperwhite SE, 2021 iPad Pro 11” & iPhone 11 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
The website says it requires in-person registration. How did they get the cards?

You are correct. However, it seems like everyone has a card with them because Broward doesn’t verify registration. These people are just putting in random Fort Lauderdale addresses. People do the same thing with the Chicago Public Library. I think it’s totally unethical, but I also think these libraries should have some checks and balances if they don’t want people doing this.
JBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 05:08 AM   #43
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacepope View Post
Not sure which county you got a card in, but Montgomery County MD (MCPL) has a really nice collection of books and audio through Hoopla.
Thanks! I'll add Montgomery County to my Hoopla list.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 01:41 PM   #44
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I don't know, people keep reporting they are getting them, even if they are not in Florida or applying in person, at least according to that reddit thread. They do seem to have an e-card option also, so the rules may vary. I can finally get the main library site to open through some links, but if you try to apply for a card, it will not load for me.

The website is still down, trying to load again now :/

Last edited by Paperbackstash; 07-31-2022 at 03:06 PM.
Old 07-30-2022, 02:51 PM   #45
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaby View Post
You are correct. However, it seems like everyone has a card with them because Broward doesn’t verify registration. These people are just putting in random Fort Lauderdale addresses. People do the same thing with the Chicago Public Library. I think it’s totally unethical, but I also think these libraries should have some checks and balances if they don’t want people doing this.
I think to some extent they don't care, because libraries want more people reading and it's going to be a fairly small number of people who will cheat to get access. Tennessee's R.E.A.D.S. doesn't do much checking either. My library doesn't have any kind of Internet presence, and R.E.A.D.S. doesn't even check to see if your name matches the card number. It's basically an honor system.

Personally, while I wouldn't do it, I don't mind it too much because I think it's great people want to read more books that badly. I suspect most of the ones that do cheat can't afford to buy a lot of books themselves, or they wouldn't do this.
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote