Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 10-20-2008, 01:11 PM   #1
spells
spells began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Red face "Shalom, y'all!"

This Kindle rookie sends you greetings and hopes she can count on your support (without too much snickering). I'm a hopeless gadget-phobe and the one the they wrote the "... for Dummies" series of books for. But even they have proven to be too hard for me. However, I never give up - as evidenced by my now ownership of a Kindle! So, HELP!!!!

Thanks, y'all! Spells
spells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:13 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by spells View Post
the one the they wrote the "... for Dummies" series of books for.
Welcome!! Wow you started a whole book line. I'm impressed.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2008, 01:17 PM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Welcome! Where are you located? Because we are having a get-together in north Alabama this coming Saturday. There will be LOTS of gadgets, good food, and people more expert than me to help you out.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:21 PM   #4
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Welcome to MobileRead. The Kindle is almost idiot-proof. You can get fancy with it -- and someone has even written a book to tell you about all the extras -- but if you only use it for reading, it's not difficult to master at all.

To make it easy to download books from this site, turn on the antenna, and from the main menu open the experimental browser. Then go to this url --> https://www.mobileread.com/mobiguide <-- to grab a copy of the MobileRead Download Guide. After it has transferred to your Kindle, you can use it to browse the library of available books and download directly into the Kindle.

MobileRead owes a debt of thanks to Hadrien at Feedbooks who created the first download guide for his site. You can download it to your Kindle from --> http://www.feedbooks.com/kindleguide <--. And, if these directions are confusing, Hadrien has posted a video tutorial on his help page for Kindle users. Check it out with your browser at http://www.feedbooks.com/help/kindle
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:24 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Welcome to MobileRead. The Kindle is almost idiot-proof. You can get fancy with it -- and someone has even written a book to tell you about all the extras -- but if you only use it for reading, it's not difficult to master at all.
I actually count 11 Kindle ebooks on the Kindle. 1 is called _Why the Kindle will Fail_ but I'm not sure if that is tounge in cheek or serious.

BOb
Advert
Old 10-20-2008, 02:16 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
This Kindle rookie sends you greetings and hopes she can count on your support (without too much snickering). I'm a hopeless gadget-phobe and the one the they wrote the "... for Dummies" series of books for. But even they have proven to be too hard for me. However, I never give up - as evidenced by my now ownership of a Kindle! So, HELP!!!!

Thanks, y'all! Spells
Welcome........and exactly what do you need help with?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 03:53 PM   #7
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Spells and welcome to the Forum
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:28 PM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I actually count 11 Kindle ebooks on the Kindle. 1 is called _Why the Kindle will Fail_ but I'm not sure if that is tounge in cheek or serious.

BOb

Bob, it was written in 2007 by someone who doesn't even own a Kindle, and didn't like what he had read about it.....didn't think a dictionary was needed, etc.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:35 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Bob, it was written in 2007 by someone who doesn't even own a Kindle, and didn't like what he had read about it.....didn't think a dictionary was needed, etc.
Ah.... I didn't read the summary at all. Interesting that it is a Kindle ebook.

BOb
Old 10-20-2008, 04:40 PM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Ah.... I didn't read the summary at all. Interesting that it is a Kindle ebook.

BOb
I don't think there is a criteria for having a book published on Kindle. Go to "kindle books" and click on "low to high".....Holy cow!

Last edited by desertgrandma; 10-20-2008 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 10-20-2008, 05:29 PM   #11
Wordcrasher
Addict
Wordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Fire 2015, Kindle Paperwhite
Hi Spells and welcome to the forum !
Wordcrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 05:45 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I don't think there is a criteria for having a book published on Kindle. Go to "kindle books" and click on "low to high".....Holy cow!
No... no... my point is not that the Kindle store would have a problem with it, or really cares or does any type of content policing... but that an author that wrote a book on how Kindle will fail would publish in as a kindle book. I assume he or his publisher made this decision.

Yes, it looks like a self published book. Basically a review of the Kindle by a non-Kindle owner. This reviewer summed it up best:
Quote:
Save a dollar and read the customer reviews instead.
BOb
Old 10-20-2008, 06:19 PM   #13
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
No... no... my point is not that the Kindle store would have a problem with it, or really cares or does any type of content policing... but that an author that wrote a book on how Kindle will fail would publish in as a kindle book. I assume he or his publisher made this decision.

Yes, it looks like a self published book. Basically a review of the Kindle by a non-Kindle owner. This reviewer summed it up best:

BOb
OH.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:45 PM   #14
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:

Thanks, y'all! Spells
Shalom and welcome. You could not be more of an idiot than I am, and I have a Kindle and with the kind help of members of MR am now able to read books on it.

You will also find that this site is a lot of fun.
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote