Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-01-2011, 05:26 AM   #46
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
I have to say I'm very disappointed to see Random House going with the agency model too. Luckily for those of us in the UK, and because of the ongoing OFT investigation, Random House UK operations are for the time being staying out of agency.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:45 AM   #47
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
My boycott grows to six.
Me too....

I'm very glad I have a pretty sizable inventory of "evil-6" e-books bought at reasonable prices before agency pricing. Putting that together with small press, PD, and even a few p-books from the library and used bookstores, I figure I have at least 3 or 4 years before I need to even vaguely entertain the idea of buying another "evil-6" book. And maybe (although not counting on it) things will be different (hopefully better, not worse) by then.

Still, I'm sad to see RH go.

Last edited by sufue; 03-01-2011 at 08:07 AM.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2011, 07:47 AM   #48
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I think who is not on that list is more important then who is on the list. One of the companies that I deal with on a daily basis is Harlequin/Gold Eagle and they are not with the Agency model.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:56 AM   #49
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBird View Post
I wonder if this is part of the reason CyberRead just decided to give up.
I think it must have been a big factor.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:10 AM   #50
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
This truly sucks!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2011, 08:45 AM   #51
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Well - I just canceled 4 Pre-Orders. I didn't cancel Land of Painted Caves but I'm trying to get up the moral gumption to do it.

It'll almost certainly be out on Library Overdrive - right????
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:20 AM   #52
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
abookreader - that's easy enough to guess. If your library has the others in the series in ebook format, then they (almost) certainly will get Land of the Painted Caves. And if they don't... they won't.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:26 AM   #53
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Fate...8970749&sr=1-3

I checked another Random House book. This one was $6.29 yesterday and now it's $13.99.
All the more reason to buy at Smashwords. I prior years I spent freely on ebooks and pbooks. Since the advent of agency pricing, my spending has diminished greatly. I now primarily buy ebooks published by/at Smashwords and often just "buy" the free ebooks. I have found that for every 12 free ebooks I 'buy" at Smashwords, 1 or 2 are very good and the rest get the delete button treatment. I also will spend up to $2.99 fo a decent ebook at Smashwords, but am unwilling to buy the high-priced agency books at the larger ebookstores.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:45 AM   #54
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Maybe they think there's so much momentum behind ebook adoption that they can't hurt themselves by taking control of pricing and undercutting discounters like Amazon and Kobo. That price control is more important than short term profits (at Amazon's expense, when they subsidize $9.99 pricing). They could be right.
They've had a year to watch the market, watch what happened to the other 5 big publishers. So "they could be right" is likely true. If the others were suffering a disaster from their policy, then Random House wouldn't have joined in.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:45 AM   #55
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
oh, one of the ebooks on my wishlist from RH went from $5 to $9.99.
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:47 AM   #56
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
The number of people who pirate as a form of "protest" are vastly outnumbered by the people who just want free stuff. Don't kid yourself on that score.
+1

Lee
Old 03-01-2011, 09:48 AM   #57
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
I can get the paperback cheaper!!!!!" and "This book is not worth $X.XX for an edition I can't pass on to my grandkids and I won't pay more than $Y.YY".
Then buy the paper back. There are advantages to paper books, when you need or desire those advantages, just by the book.

Lee
Old 03-01-2011, 09:49 AM   #58
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I think who is not on that list is more important then who is on the list. One of the companies that I deal with on a daily basis is Harlequin/Gold Eagle and they are not with the Agency model.
Who on Earth are they? I've never heard of them, I'm afraid.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:53 AM   #59
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
All the more reason to buy at Smashwords.
Except that Smashwords has ALSO decided to let publishers/authors set their own prices.

Lee
Old 03-01-2011, 09:55 AM   #60
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Who on Earth are they? I've never heard of them, I'm afraid.
Harlequin Enterprises Limited is a publisher of Romance, as Baen are publishers of SF/Fantasy. Just much bigger (about 120 new titles per month vs Baen's 4 to 6!).

Gold Eagle is one of their imprints.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote