Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats

Notices

Old 03-16-2024, 12:13 PM   #1
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Shine 3
Word wildcard problem

Maybe that's the wrong forum, but I didn't find a better suiting one!
My problem:
In many languages, especially french and italian, direct speech begins simply with a dash at the beginning of the paragraph, such as:
Code:
Text, text, text:
– Speech, speech...
At translating, I want to replace the characters indicating direct speech by chevrons (» as opening, « as ending characters). Of course, it is simple to replace the dashes at the beginning of a paragraph by the opening chevron. But, in the say french book, the end of the direct speech is frequently not indicated otherwise as by a new paragraph.
So, what I want to achieve is to find paragraphs beginning with "»", but not ending with "«" (some do, due to previous search and replace operations, so I have to mark this explicitely). To this end, I suppose I have to use wildcards.
I tried for example:
Code:
(»*[!«]^13){1}
and this one (others do likewise) finds the end of paragraphs not consisting in a closing chevron, but jumps over several paragraphs, until finding one that doesn't end with such a chevron.
So, how can I restrict the search to first paragraph that begins with an opening chevron, but ends without a closing one?
Is there a Word crack able to assist me?
Leonatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 08:12 AM   #2
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, the Word wildcards are a thing very special...
Trying further, I found this one that works:
Code:
Search for (with wildcards):
(»*[!«])(^13)
Replace with:
\1«\2
Maybe it`s useful to others!
Old 04-19-2024, 09:27 AM   #3
Leonatus
Wizard

For those to whom it may concern:

I found that my pattern above mentioned sometimes sets (for reasons I ignore) closing chevrons («) at the end of a paragraph that contains no opening chevron (») at all, and that are superfluous. To remove those, I invented this one:
Code:
Search for (with wildcards):
(^13[!»]@)«
Replace with:
\1
Good luck!