Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-31-2023, 08:28 PM   #16
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by II2II View Post
Create columns for genre and subgenre in Calibre.

You will find a place to configure the path to save files to under Calibre's device configuration, use something like "Books/{#genre}/{#subgenre}".

At least that's how I would do it. Apparently there is a better (albeit more complex) way to configure it which is documented here: https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/sub_groups.html

Either way, once you transfer your books to your device they will be stored in a nice directory hierarchy that is easy to access via KOReader.
Please remember that under calibre, you are limited in the path length you can use. Which would cause your suggested system to break horribly with a book such as one of my XYL's favourites:

Frog Challenge Anthology [02] - 1001 Dark Nights Short Story Anthology 2020 - Fiona Archer & Louisa Bacio & Laura M. Baird & Kait Ballenger & Asa Maria Bradley & Eden Bradley & Boone Brux & C. G. Burnette & Cara Carnes & Caraway Carter & Sierra Cartwright & S. A. Clayton & Katana Collins & Janie Crouch & Patricia D. Eddy & Zoey Ellis & Zoe Hill & Sara L. Hudson & Tracey Jerald & A. D. Justice & Terri E. Laine & Michelle Mars & Gina L. Maxwell & Kayt Miller & Dani René & Gen Ryan & Blue Saffire & Ella Sheridan & Mayra Statham & Delancey Stewart & Jen Talty & Mary Ting & Reina Torres & Magan Vernon & Jennifer Woodhull & Khloe Wren

The filename that I send to her Libra 2 would be:
Elib/Archer, Fiona/1001 Dark Nights Short Story Anthology 2020 - Fiona Archer

I do truncate the author sort used for the first subdirectory under Elib and the author name appended to the title to the first author name which is trivial to do under calibre. I never need to look at the filename since the series information and all the authors are stored in the device database so I can search on any of series, author, title, subtitle.

Please let me know how you would configure a directory structure to allow locating that book by any author, the title or the series in a minimal number of taps/keystrokes.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 09:57 AM   #17
tayseidel
Zealot
tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Glo HD, Aura H20, PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
You don't need KOReader on a Sage. It's only advantage is CSS over-rides. The Sage My Books section is superior. They are working on a meta-data based library interface of KOReader.

I prefer to fix ebooks in Calibre and use the native interface. I do have KOReader on an Android eink and did have it on the Elipsa (for PDFs, but now Sage/Elipsa crop PDFs per book).

I only use Folder management on PC and Android outside of Calibre for subject related structure that's a mix of PDF., Djvu, png, jpg, tiff. It's crazy for ebooks. A Library interface like Kobo's My Books that utilises real title, author, collection, series and unread/reading/finished and can sort by date added too is hugely superior.
The default "file manager" interface of KOReader is a 1970s thing for documents with no sensible metadata.

I use Koreader because the reader itself is superior to the stock reader. I like the options, the most important being the clock in the header. I read late at night, and that clock is useful.

With the stock reader, I had to tap the middle to see the time.
tayseidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 10:47 AM   #18
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofthenorth View Post
I recently switched from Kindle to Kobo (sage) because of the easier book management systems. I have 2,000+ books and am aiming to have them organised by genre for ease of navigation. I've been organising them into genres and sub-genres in Calibre (genre. subgenre), but the original firmware only supports one folder, so I'd initially used the tags. I just installed Koreader and prefer the folder management - is there any way to create sub-collections/ folders? The default seems to be by author. If this is doable - any way a book can sit in two folders?

If none of this is possible, how do you manage your collections?

Any help is much appreciated!

As a Sage owner who uses KOReader for 98% of my reading my first piece of advice is - ignore the arrant nonsense about it only having one advantage over the stock reader. Utter balderdash.

That said, I'd echo the advice to make good use of the calibre metadata search function. It's how I search my Sage library and if you assign your genres and subgenres as tags, they will all be searchable. As will series and author, in addition to titles of course. By assigning multiple tags to a book, it will show up in each of those result sets, which may be close to what you were after.

You can assign a shortcut to access the metadata search or perhaps even easier, a gesture. I use gestures A LOT, they are one of the many customisation features of KOReader that I find make it infinitely preferable to the stock reader
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 12:17 PM   #19
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
I do use KOReader almost exclusively on all my devices

Never had any issue with the metadata search. I have a few gestures to jump to series/tags and other that pops up the main search interface. For a few hundreds or thousands of books it should be pretty snappy (ie: search in less than 0.1s)

Anyhow, the search part of the calibre plugin in KO is undocumented, so if somebody of the current users would want to make it easier for other interested parties feel free to fill the void in https://github.com/koreader/koreader...etadata-search. Much appreciated
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 04:29 PM   #20
elstoc
elstoc taught Chuck Norris how to fight.elstoc taught Chuck Norris how to fight.elstoc taught Chuck Norris how to fight.elstoc taught Chuck Norris how to fight.elstoc taught Chuck Norris how to fight.elstoc taught Chuck Norris how to fight.elstoc taught Chuck Norris how to fight.elstoc taught Chuck Norris how to fight.elstoc taught Chuck Norris how to fight.elstoc taught Chuck Norris how to fight.elstoc taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
I use KOReader and Calibre and browse my books in the imported directory structure. I have a column in my Calibre database where I store the target path and then a slightly hacky "save template" to ensure that the files are stored in that structure on my device.

My paths are generally Fiction/Non-Fiction followed by one or two sub-directories (author or genre/sub-genre) - I try not to go too much deeper as there is still only a limited path length.
elstoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, collections, kobo, manage library, organisation