Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-26-2022, 12:46 AM   #1
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
The Lifespan of an e-ink e-reader

I'd like to know how long did your immediate preceding e-reader last while functioning passably.

Whether Kindle, Kobo, or other, it would be useful if I got an inkling about the lifespan of e-readers. That is because so far, only two devices have died on me; my Kindle Keyboard, and my Kobo Glo.

So if you give a brief info about your experiences with your reading and your devices, that would help me figure out roughly how much time my PW4 has got left.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 01:20 AM   #2
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
None of my devices have broken or stopped working while I’m my possession. My kobo aura one died maybe 3 years ago but I can’t speak for it’s treatment in the time leading up to its demise.

To the best of my knowledge the Nook Simple Touch which I bought shortly after release is still out there working. As are all the nooks I’ve had. The kobo aura H2Ov1, kobo Forma 8 and 32GB, Libra 2, and Sage all work. The USB port on the 8GB Forma got twitchy which prompted the purchase of the 32GB model, elsewise the USB port may have failed under continued daily driver use.

Take care of your device and it can last you a long time. Possibly beyond the point where a new device would be a very significant upgrade.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2022, 01:33 AM   #3
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Let's see:

My 1st ereader was a Palm m500. That didn't die - what 'killed' it was the transition to OSX and I could no longer communicate with it.

The 2nd was a Hanlin device. I fell asleep and rolled onto it, breaking the screen.

Following that, an Aluratek Libre. Being an LCD screen battery life was an issue - I'm a heavy reader and I was charging it daily.

Next was a Kobo Touch. That was still working last year - my partner's mother was using it while staying with us. The issue with that was software again; the Mac was 'swapping' the internal drive for the external SD card.

Then I had an Icarus. It started fine, but then the Mac started not recognising it and when it did, 'swapping' the internal drive for the external SD card.

Now I have a Kobo Forma with a 32 GB drive. So far, no problem!
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 02:01 AM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I have an original Kobo Glo, purchased on release, still being used by a relative. Battery life's not good, but it works.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 02:42 AM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
None of mine have died, but I didn't use any of them longer than 3 years before selling them and getting a newer model. I still have my first two eink readers, basic Kindles from 2011 and 2013 and they still work, but I haven't used them since 2016. I only charge them occasionally for sentimental reasons.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2022, 04:24 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Kobo Aura H2O. Battery is not bad and it's been going for about 6 years.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 04:28 AM   #7
Cyclops
Only need one eye to read
Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C, Sony PRS-300, Nintendo DSi XL,
My Sony prs 300 is still going strong after an eon
Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 05:23 AM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenberg View Post
Since 2011, it's been a very good period. It's amazing that they are functional. Did you buy them new or used? I was often told that the ones already used last longer, I do not know the real reason.
New, straight from Amazon.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 06:24 AM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
One of mine got broken, it was kneeled on and had no cover. A grandchild has done in two screens by leaving it on the floor.
I've replaced batteries (10 year old cells) in two of mine and one of a friend. One of those is now 12 years old and like new still. The Sony PRS-350 is ancient and still on original cell; chrome worn off one button and replacement stylus made from one for a Nokia phone.

I suspect that life is indefinite if batteries are replaced and it's not physically damaged.

One son has broken about four phone screens, twice by walking into bollards on the edge of the pavement.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 10:48 AM   #10
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
My Kindle 3 died after just over 5 years of use, my Voyage has been going for almost 6.5 years so far. The battery is a little diminished but it's still ok.

I'm not sure how much I would compare the relatively recent (2018) PW4 with my old K3 though; battery and screen tech had a lot of time to change in those 8+ years.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 02:29 PM   #11
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
My Kobo Aura HD died after approximately seven years. Mostly the SD card going bad, and I also felt something rattling/clunking around inside which hadn't been doing that before. A few days ago I tried to boot it up out of curiosity and it refused to.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 05-26-2022 at 06:17 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 04:39 PM   #12
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International, Pocketbook Color
I still have, and use, my Kindle international. V.3 I think and the model before Kindle Keyboard. Bought upon international release in 2010. Battery life now down from 5-ish weeks to 3-ish weeks. No touch screen, no backlight but that's how I like it. Now, Amazon sent me a mail stating that the onboard kindle store will no longer function from August, but "promises" that I still can use/download my purchased content and all future purchases has to be sideloaded. I can live fine with that.

I just bought a Pocketbook Color, mostly because I was curious of the colour screen and d.t it was heavily discounted. I'll return to this post in 10 years time and report if it still works. (An if also the Kindle still works)
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 06:16 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
My first Astak (2009)was dropped (cracked trace=intermittent).
The second one (2011) needs a Battery.
I replaced the Battery on my K4nt.
Both Kobo are fine.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 02:00 AM   #14
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Thank you all so far, some good advice all round. I don't have a case for my Kindle, but I don't take it out of my house. I make sure I keep it in my room when I go to sleep, and it has lasted for 1 1/2 years so far. Needless to say, I don't know how to replace any Kindle's battery.

I will keep the PW4 at least until 2024, luck willing.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 03:50 AM   #15
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
My 5 years old current device still works and I expect to use it for many, many years to come. New devices have no features that I would want in my e-ink reader, and many are much worse when you compare software features.

My previous e-ink reader is still used by my daughter. I broke the frame of the reader long time ago, so I have built a cover that holds the reader together to extend the life a little bit ... and here we are 8+ years later.

An even older e-ink device (13 years old) still works, kinda-sorta. There is a glitch in an e-ink screen driver (electronics), but it is still usable. Nobody uses it, the screen is not front-lit.

The oldest e-ink reader Sony PRS500, released 16 years ago - I gave that one away after about 4-5 years. The screen was much darker in comparison with the newer models. I do not know what happened to it, I am reluctant to ask the giftee.

My oldest portable reader - an ancient clam-shell PDA with black and white matrix non-backlit LCD screen still worked when I stopped using it, and I guess it would still work if I tried to switch it on. I can't bring myself to throw it away ...

Do get a cover for your reader, even if it never leaves the room. I dropped my previous reader and shattered the plastic frame around the bezel. The glass substrate somehow survived and the device still works, held firmly in a custom-built cover.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote