1 Calibre Example Challenges
2 Abridged Submission – Flush left and Shading
2.1 Level 1 The Technology
2.2 Level 2 Major Preferred Formatting Features
3 Resulting Epub File Variances

2 Abridged Submission – Flush left and Shading

2.1 Level 1 The Technology
• Let me start by saying, “Thankyou for Calibre.”
• I just learned about your product and am currently using version 5.42.0, 64-bit.
• Windows 10 Home 10.0.18363.
• Office/word 2016.
Workarounds
• <ul style="padding-left: ??px;">
• <Div style="background-color:#D9D9D9;">
I have many free Kindle downloads.

2.2 Level 2 Major Preferred Formatting Features
My intent was to draw attention visually to key parts of the document with bulleted and numbered lists and shading, and to a limited extent, tables.
I wished to convert a word doc with these feature formats:
• Flush left bullet lists
o Some lists with sub lists
o Flush left numbered lists (modest)
o Managed to achieve smaller indents with <ul style="padding-left: ??px;">
o Added just before the closing bracket
• Selective background shading
o I expected flush left/flush right shading.
o I extended this line to multiple lines to see the results of wrapping. I extended this line to multiple lines to see the results of wrapping. I extended this line to multiple lines to see the results of wrapping.
 I can get flush left shading with <div style="background-color:#D9D9D9;">
 And terminate with</div>
3 Resulting Epub File Variances
The resulting epub file varied from the above as follows:
Here were my results from running this, and other docs, through Calibre:
1) Flush left bullets were indented vs flush. Surprising since word .doc was flush
a) Flush left numbered lists were indented vs. flush.
b) Managed to achieve smaller indents with <ul style="padding-left: ??px;">
2) I had initially simply created lists by clicking on the list icon; then the [decrease indent] icon, which gave me flush left.
a) Since the program ignored [decrease indent]/flush left,
b) I created a new multi-level list with smaller indents (I.e., 0.5cm, screen shot below); did this for numbered lists and bulleted lists.
i) Then I clicked Update “List paragraph” to match selection
ii) Word honoured the new list settings.
iii) Calibre chose different indents.
3) Even the calibre e-viewer when reading the word .doc, shows bullets at default indent, not decreased indent and not custom indent.
4) Selective background shading
a) Several issues. Though I can get
flush left shading with <div style="background-color:#D9D9D9;">
b) And terminate with</div>
c) This also gives me flush right shading.
Attached Files
File Type: docx 00 Calibre Example Challenges zero indent.docx (46.5 KB, 89 views)
DBnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 08:33 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Not everything in docx which is a page oriented format can be converted to HTML exactly, which is a reflowable format. That includes precise positioning of bullets.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2022, 03:48 PM   #3
DBnew
DBnew began at the beginning.

Device: windows laptop
Thank you for the prompt reply.

With respect, I am unsure why positioning of a new chunk of (bulleted) text relative to the left margin, should be unduly onerous. Book styles and HTML approve the action.

While manually intensive, I was able to achieve the desired effect with
<ul style="margin:0px;padding:5px;">
I was surprised calibre just didn't handle such formatting during input conversion.

Though numbered lists didn't follow the <ol> method.
DBnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 08:08 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
In word the position is with respect to the page margin, in HTML with respect to the containing block. The positioning modells are completely different.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote