Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-06-2022, 04:30 AM   #1
artekxp
artekxp puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.artekxp puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.artekxp puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.artekxp puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.artekxp puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.artekxp puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.artekxp puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.artekxp puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.artekxp puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.artekxp puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.artekxp puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10th gen
How fast do you read?

I have never read many books in my life until I got an eReader. Slowly I am getting faster and wonder how fast do people read on average? Seems like I am consuming 250-350 page novels in about two weeks. Is this a good pace?
artekxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 04:36 AM   #2
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by artekxp View Post
I have never read many books in my life until I got an eReader. Slowly I am getting faster and wonder how fast do people read on average? Seems like I am consuming 250-350 page novels in about two weeks. Is this a good pace?
There's no "good pace" except whatever works for you. Read because you want to read, don't worry about how fast or slow you read. It's not a competition, there are no prizes for reading 100 pages a minute and no penalties for reading 100 pages a year. When you're enjoying your reading, and getting the most out of the books you're reading, you've found the pace that is right for you
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2022, 04:43 AM   #3
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
It depends on how much you read per day. I'm not a speed reader, but given a good 4 -5 hour time block, I might knock a 250 page short novel out in that time. My problem is I'd fall asleep probably before the time was up! At thirty minutes a day it'd take me a over a week.

I also read at different speeds depending upon the book. Nonfiction takes longer, fiction will vary depending upon the author and his writing. Some novels are pretty simple reads and I go through those rather quickly, others are a bit more complex (Say Geraldine Brooks or older classics) and I slow down to not miss anything.

But what Uncle Robin says is very true, don't worry about it. I think you'll find your time picks up some the more you do it. Just read at an enjoyable pace to you and enjoy the book. For me an enjoyable pace might be different depending upon the book.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 04:45 AM   #4
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
There's no "good pace" except whatever works for you. Read because you want to read, don't worry about how fast or slow you read. It's not a competition, there are no prizes for reading 100 pages a minute and no penalties for reading 100 pages a year. When you're enjoying your reading, and getting the most out of the books you're reading, you've found the pace that is right for you
Well put. I totally agree.
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 05:19 AM   #5
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
According to bookly, I average out at ~48 pages per hour. I'd imagine that I'm a somewhat slow reader.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2022, 08:41 AM   #6
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I have never cared about how fast I read. I read because I enjoy it. For me it is not a race to the finish line. I finish a book when I reach the end. I do not care if it takes me two hours, two days or two weeks. the only thing I am concerned about, when I finish a book, is what am I going to read next. And it is a lot easier to find something to read with the availability of eBooks. I do not miss the days of trying to find a DTB to read.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 10:26 AM   #7
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
This!

I know there's at least one person on Mobileread who claims an incredibly fast reading speed but I don't compare myself with that. If I'm reading for entertainment and enjoying it speed is not important.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 11:06 AM   #8
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by artekxp View Post
If you read what you want, when you want, at a comfortable for you pace, then you've hit on perfection.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 11:41 AM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
This!

I know there's at least one person on Mobileread who claims an incredibly fast reading speed but I don't compare myself with that. If I'm reading for entertainment and enjoying it speed is not important.
As the likely person being referred to, I would object to your statement that I "claim" an incredibly fast reading speed. Ghod knows that when we did some reading speed tests in high school, I had to take repeat the tests multiple times with different texts before the proctors agreed that I had no previous knowledge of the texts and that my comprehension level of ~93% for the material was correct.

Not the first time, I've had my reading speed questioned and all too likely, not the last.

OTOH, one disadvantage for me is that unlike what quite a few people say, I don't 'hear' people's voices when reading so I find statements that the voices used in audiobooks or movies based on books either match or don't match the 'voices' from text-based books hard to follow.

However, I have to agree that whatever speed someone is comfortable reading at is the best reading speed for them.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 01:06 PM   #10
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I don't hear any voices either, and my reading speed is certainly much lower than yours.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 02:17 PM   #11
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
As the likely person being referred to, I would object to your statement that I "claim" an incredibly fast reading speed. Ghod knows that when we did some reading speed tests in high school, I had to take repeat the tests multiple times with different texts before the proctors agreed that I had no previous knowledge of the texts and that my comprehension level of ~93% for the material was correct.

Not the first time, I've had my reading speed questioned and all too likely, not the last.

OTOH, one disadvantage for me is that unlike what quite a few people say, I don't 'hear' people's voices when reading so I find statements that the voices used in audiobooks or movies based on books either match or don't match the 'voices' from text-based books hard to follow.

However, I have to agree that whatever speed someone is comfortable reading at is the best reading speed for them.
I couldn't remember who it was. I probably could have chosen a better word. I didn't intend to imply you weren't being truthful! I'm sure that as with many other activities, mental or physical, there are some people who naturally perform well above average.

My point was intended to be that I don't compare my own reading speed with others who read faster than I do.
Old 01-06-2022, 02:18 PM   #12
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
It’s pretty difficult to objectively measure reading speed without some dedicated feature. Moreover reading speed is not constant, depends on how much cognitive load the reading material imposes, level of alertness, etc.

Speed reading is a skill, and requires focused practice. And the reason for wanting to read faster will vary depending on person and whatever their interests or requirements are: why do you want/need to read faster?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 02:22 PM   #13
4691mls
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I don't hear any voices either, and my reading speed is certainly much lower than yours.
I am not conscious of hearing characters' voices in my head. However, when I watched a film version of Pride and Prejudice (the one with Colin Firth) there were characters who just sounded wrong to me, so I guess at some level I do hear them.
Old 01-06-2022, 03:05 PM   #14
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
...And the reason for wanting to read faster will vary depending on person and whatever their interests or requirements are: why do you want/need to read faster?
Exactly. I think I'm capable of reading a book in a day, if I really make an effort (at least I have done so when I was younger); but why would I want to do that when reading for pleasure? I want to enjoy the book, not to feel like I have a deadline.

Of course that doesn't mean that every person who reads extremely fast is unable to enjoy their reading. We are all different, the things we enjoy are different and the way we enjoy them are also different.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 03:34 PM   #15
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm again reminded of those Evelyn Wood Reading Dynamics commercials back in the 1970s or whenever it was. I could see needing it if you're a slow reader and have to do lots of reading for your job, school, etc. but like the rest here I don't want to make reading a chore and prefer reading at whatever speed is enjoyable for me.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote