Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-25-2020, 11:19 AM   #61
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What's the best way to install the new dictionary once it's released? All I want is to install the new English dictionary.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 11:27 AM   #62
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
By looking at the date? The release notes explicitly state "as of October 1, 2020". But, if you have the new dictionaries, it will have a copyright statement the end of the definition.
For anyone interested in how this works, v3 dictionaries store the credit line as the global zip archive comment rather than hardcoding them into the firmware like before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What's the best way to install the new dictionary once it's released? All I want is to install the new English dictionary.
It will automatically update during a sync.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2020, 12:13 PM   #63
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
I've updated to the newest new version (the one after this thread's version, but this thread is where all of the activity seems to be), but I still seem to have the exact same dictionary (I took some pictures of a few definitions before to compare). Does the English dictionary get updated w/ the update, or later in a sync? Multiple sync attempts haven't updated the dictionary either.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 01:35 PM   #64
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I've updated to the newest new version (the one after this thread's version, but this thread is where all of the activity seems to be), but I still seem to have the exact same dictionary (I took some pictures of a few definitions before to compare). Does the English dictionary get updated w/ the update, or later in a sync? Multiple sync attempts haven't updated the dictionary either.
October 1 is the date given for the dictionary update to be released.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 01:38 PM   #65
toancv
Connoisseur
toancv began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite, Likebook Mars, Kobo Aura Ed. 2, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Yes, those are handled completely differently (but only if the dictionary locale is Japanese). What changed in particular?

Thanks for the confirmation, it's as I expected (in theory, based on the firmware, v2 should be fully compatible with v3).
If I keep using dictionary file name as "dicthtml-ja-xx.zip", the dictionary cannot be used, and Kobo say "no dictionary". Thank you for mentioning about Japanese locale (ja), otherwise, I don't know how I can use the Japanese dictionary in the new Firmware. So, I rename the dictionary file name as "dicthtml-Japanese.zip" and it work normally. It show dictionary name as "dicthtml-Japanese.zip" on the Dictionary menu when looking up for a word. It is not good-looking as other language locale but at least I've found the way to use the custom Japanese dictionary now. Thanks again for feedback which help to find the solution.
toancv is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2020, 01:38 PM   #66
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
October 1 is the date given for the dictionary update to be released.
Thanks, but I saw people commenting that the English dictionary was already updated -- I guess I mis-read that. How did people know what the new dictionary will be?
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 04:04 PM   #67
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toancv View Post
If I keep using dictionary file name as "dicthtml-ja-xx.zip", the dictionary cannot be used, and Kobo say "no dictionary". Thank you for mentioning about Japanese locale (ja), otherwise, I don't know how I can use the Japanese dictionary in the new Firmware. So, I rename the dictionary file name as "dicthtml-Japanese.zip" and it work normally. It show dictionary name as "dicthtml-Japanese.zip" on the Dictionary menu when looking up for a word. It is not good-looking as other language locale but at least I've found the way to use the custom Japanese dictionary now. Thanks again for feedback which help to find the solution.
That isn't exactly what I meant, but if that works for you, that's good.
Old 09-25-2020, 04:16 PM   #68
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
By looking at the date? The release notes explicitly state "as of October 1, 2020". But, if you have the new dictionaries, it will have a copyright statement the end of the definition.
I could have done without the attitude (before your reply, I haven't seen any mention that the new dictionaries will have a date at the end of the definition, so how would I know?), but thank you for the response.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 04:41 PM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It will automatically update during a sync.
Is there a way to get the new English dictionary without a sync? I don't sync and I don't want to sync unless I can sync without downloading any eBooks.
Old 09-25-2020, 04:46 PM   #70
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I haven't seen any mention that the new dictionaries will have a date at the end of the definition
I mentioned that somewhere (either here or in the dictutil issue).

Quote:
Is there a way to get the new English dictionary without a sync? I don't sync and I don't want to sync unless I can sync without downloading any eBooks.
Once they are ready, you can download them manually from /ereader/dictionaries/v3/dicthtml-*.zip.
Old 09-25-2020, 04:48 PM   #71
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Quote:
If You archive Your books on Kobo from the site You will be able to sync without downloading any eBooks.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 04:52 PM   #72
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Once they are ready, you can download them manually from /ereader/dictionaries/v3/dicthtml-*.zip.
Thank you.

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-25-2020 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-25-2020, 04:58 PM   #73
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
I went there and I'm getting a different dictionary with the one not at v3. Could this be the one?
Once they are ready. The old ones are there so dictionaries can be still installed before October.
Old 09-25-2020, 05:02 PM   #74
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
For the Italian dictionary there is the usual useless poor dictionary of 2.6 MB but of course I have to wait the 1st October to see if the situation changes.

Last edited by ps67; 09-25-2020 at 05:05 PM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 05:04 PM   #75
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
I'm starting to feel a bit sorry for Kobo - they VERY explicitly stated in the release notes that the new dictionaries would be available from October 1, yet it seems hordes stopped reading at "new dictionaries"
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release