Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-04-2022, 01:41 PM   #46
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
.888em is just is just Jon's preference. He always tries to present his typographic preferences as some sort of standard that should always be adhered to by everyone. Use what looks best to you. Especially if it's just for your own personal reading pleasure.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 01:44 PM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipgessert View Post
There are definitely smallcap fonts. I can't speak to that .888em figure there but you generally want small caps to be a smidge taller than your font's x-height, and that does sound like it'd likely land close for many fonts.
I found the value of 0.8333em in an eBook. It's the best size I've seen so far in simulated smallcaps. I did find that when .7em or smaller was used, it was too small. I have seen small used which is .9em and that was slightly too large.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2022, 01:46 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
.888em is just is just Jon's preference. He always tries to present his typographic preferences as some sort of standard that should always be adhered to by everyone. Use what looks best to you. Especially if it's just for your own personal reading pleasure.
.888em is wrong. It's 0.8333em.
But I know .7em is too small for the proper size of small caps. I'm not saying mine is correct, but it's pretty close if not. But if anyone has a better value, please post it.
Old 03-04-2022, 02:01 PM   #49
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I don't care, Jon. It's still just your personal preference at .8333. The "correct" value is what looks best to those reading it, not what looks best to Jon.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 02:25 PM   #50
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
It's not just personal preference, it depends on the font. Fonts with a larger x-height will want a larger scale and fonts with a smaller x-height a smaller scale. I doubt 0.8333 or 0.85 or 0.8 will make much of a difference as a default for a generic unknown font. If you want it to work best for your particular font choice, experiment and find the best value to the 8th decimal figure if you like.

Besides, text-transform:uppercase is not equivalent to small-caps. If you want to fake small-caps, you better do something like:

Code:
T<small>HIS<small> <small>TEXT</small> <small>IS</small> <small>IN</small> F<small>RENCH</small>!
where you assign your preference scale to <small>. Note that only "small" letters are scaled, not capital letters, spaces, or punctuation.

But my advice would be:

1. If small-caps are just a style choice, think of something else, maybe bold, italic or underline would be valid for whatever emphasis or highlight is intended.

2. If it's important that it's actually small-caps, use an embedded true small-caps font.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2022, 02:43 PM   #51
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
It's not just personal preference, it depends on the font. Fonts with a larger x-height will want a larger scale and fonts with a smaller x-height a smaller scale. I doubt 0.8333 or 0.85 or 0.8 will make much of a difference as a default for a generic unknown font. If you want it to work best for your particular font choice, experiment and find the best value to the 8th decimal figure if you like.

Besides, text-transform:uppercase is not equivalent to small-caps. If you want to fake small-caps, you better do something like:

Code:
T<small>HIS<small> <small>TEXT</small> <small>IS</small> <small>IN</small> F<small>RENCH</small>!
where you assign your preference scale to <small>. Note that only "small" letters are scaled, not capital letters, spaces, or punctuation.

But my advice would be:

1. If small-caps are just a style choice, think of something else, maybe bold, italic or underline would be valid for whatever emphasis or highlight is intended.

2. If it's important that it's actually small-caps, use an embedded true small-caps font.
I actually made my guys go through an exercise to make a one-size-fits all dropcap--and they work--but omg, it took us forever.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 02:50 PM   #52
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But I know .7em is too small for the proper size of small caps. I'm not saying mine is correct, but it's pretty close if not. But if anyone has a better value, please post it.
Ok. I was just curious where it came from.

I did play with all sizes between .9 - .5 and found .7 was just right for me. I tried .9 and .8 and found them too big and the smallcaps look somewhat diminished.

I tried to size the smallcaps the same size as the lowercase letters, and .7 came the closest without going into 2 or 3 decimal places as shown in the image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post

Code:

But my advice would be:

That is interesting. I did not consider using the <small> method. But seems a bit of extra work.

I used my particular method of .7 and text transform, so if there was a fix for the smallcaps issue in Kobo, I could quickly change the css code.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	smallcaps.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	192572  
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 02:51 PM   #53
jmurphy
Connoisseur
jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipaq
Quote:
But in message 43 of this very thread, you definitively, authoritatively stated:
"And as for your CSS, the font size should be 0.888em."
jmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 04:19 PM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurphy View Post
But in message 43 of this very thread, you definitively, authoritatively stated:
"And as for your CSS, the font size should be 0.888em."
And obviously some in this thread cannot read. I never posted 0.888em.
Old 03-04-2022, 04:26 PM   #55
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:

I'm really hoping you meant this to be funny??
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 04:36 PM   #56
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
And as for your CSS, the font size should be 0.888em.
Quote:
Than why did you write: "the font size should be 0.888em"?

Quote:
I'm not saying mine is correct, but it's pretty close if not.
You always start out that you have the only correct answer, yet your answer is frequently objectively quite wrong.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 04:43 PM   #57
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
And as for your CSS, the font size should be 0.888em. And I'm not sure that the text-transform to uppercase works or not with ePub and if that is the case, you'll need to drop it and make sure the text is uppercase.
Quote:
Perhaps you should talk to the other JSWolf who posted the first message quoted above? As for the comment about not being able to read? Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 09:37 PM   #58
phillipgessert
Addict
phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5th Gen
What’s nuts is I could swear I’ve seen that specific measure before. I want to say it’s either an InDesign default or a popular answer to a StackOverflow question about faked smallcaps. In any case, it’d drive me nuts to have something that specific in a stylesheet. It’d bug me as something that just felt arbitrary.

Lot of comedy here but apparently I gotta spread karma around more before I can acknowledge it.
phillipgessert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 09:57 PM   #59
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Wolfie:

Sweetie, you really, really did.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 05:05 AM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Does anyone have a better value then 0.8333em that works in more cases then not?