Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-14-2021, 08:41 AM   #1
LinuxArie
Connoisseur
LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Clara HD. FBreader on Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Pro, Nokia 3.1
Kobo Nia, Clara HD or Pocketbook Touch Lux 5

It's time for a new ereader. My current one is Kobo Touch n905b. It's still working but 800 x 600 is a bit meh.

I'm thinking of a Kobo Nia, Clara HD or Pocketbook Touch Lux 5.
Nia is a bit less then €100, Clara and Touch are about €120
Is it worth the money to go for Clara or Touch or just go for the Nia.
I'm not a hardcore reader.
Thx in advance for some advice
LinuxArie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 09:57 AM   #2
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinuxArie View Post
It's time for a new ereader. My current one is Kobo Touch n905b. It's still working but 800 x 600 is a bit meh.

Netherlands? Tolino Shine 3 (=Clara HD).

Last edited by ottischwenk; 06-14-2021 at 09:59 AM.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 10:18 AM   #3
detconan
detconan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:

Well it might be subjective but for me, the comfortlight pro is a true game changer. If you are a rather day reader, it doesn't bother too much, however, if you read by night the warm light is clearly better. I have both Glo HD and Clara HD and while without using the front light they are comparable (by day), by night I prefer clearly the Clara thanks to its warm light, the cold light seems too artificial for me.
Nia is just Comfortlight (not pro) and hence lacks warm light (it is a kind of Glo HD with decreased dpi).
20 euros is not a big issue to have better reading experience ...
You can however order both and test them and keep the one you prefer and return the other.
detconan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 10:30 AM   #4
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Netherlands? Tolino Shine 3 (=Clara HD).
OP, Be aware that the shine 3 has different software, I believe. So if you've been browsing the Kobo threads and reading about patching, Nicklemenu, ..., they won't work on the Shine 3.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 11:09 AM   #5
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
OP, Be aware that the shine 3 has different software, I believe. So if you've been browsing the Kobo threads and reading about patching, Nicklemenu, ..., they won't work on the Shine 3.
With the Shine3 you can easily use the Android 4.4.2, which is the basis, and the software is also suitable for German Onleihe CARE DRM.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 10:23 PM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:

I'd recommend spending the extra 20 to get the Clara. The software on the Nia and Clara will be the same. But the Clara has a nicer screen and the orange frontlight. You have held on to your previous Kobo for a long, long time. Considering you are replacing it due to the resolution, it might be worth the extra 20 to get the best resolution available. Especially if you keep this one for such an extended period.

I'm not familiar with Pocketbook devices, but based on the specs and price, I'd recommend the Clara over the Touch. The Clara has 300 ppi. The Touch has the same 212 ppi screen that the Nia has, but has a price that matches the Clara. Seems too expensive, to me. I do like the ruby red one though.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 12:42 AM   #7
LinuxArie
Connoisseur
LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Clara HD. FBreader on Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Pro, Nokia 3.1
Thanks every one.
Tolino is sold in the netherlands at Libris bookstores, but they have only the Page 2 and Vision 5 on their site.
So just ordered the Clara, no cover, the slide in cover of my Touch will probably fit. If not I order new cover.
LinuxArie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, kobo, pocketbook