Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 03-26-2011, 07:59 AM   #1
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Benson, E. F: Trouble for Lucia. V1. 26 Mar 2011

Edward Frederic Benson (24 July 1867 – 29 February 1940) was an English novelist, biographer, memoirist and short story writer, known professionally as E.F. Benson. His friends called him Fred. Edward Frederic Benson was the son of the Archbishop of Canterbury and member of a distinguished and eccentric family. After attending Marlborough and King's College, Cambridge where he studied classics and archaeology, he worked at the British School of Archaeology in Athens. One of our greatest humorists, he achieved great success at an early age with his first novel, Dodo (1893). He was a prolific author writing over a hundred books: serious novels, ghost stories, plays and biographies. But he is best remembered for his Lucia comedies written between 1920 and 1939 and other comic novels such as Paying Guests and Mrs Ames. He became mayor of Rye, the Sussex town that provided the model for his fictional Tilling, from 1934 to 1937.

Excerpt
Lucia Pillson, the Mayor-Elect of Tilling and her husband Georgie were talking together one October afternoon in the garden-room at Mallards. The debate demanded the exercise of their keenest faculties. Viz:
Should Lucia, when next month she entered on the supreme Municipal Office, continue to go down to the High Street every morning after breakfast with her market-basket, and make her personal purchases at the shops of the baker, the grocer, the butcher and wherever else the needs of the day's catering directed? There were pros and cons to be considered, and Lucia had been putting the case for both sides with the tedious lucidity of opposing counsel addressing the Court. It might be confidently expected that, when she had finished exploring the entire territory, she would be fully competent to express the verdict of the jury and the sentence of the judge. In anticipation of the numerous speeches she would soon be called upon to make as Mayor, she was cultivating, whenever she remembered to do so, a finished oratorical style, and a pedantic Oxford voice.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: mobi TROUBLE FOR LUCIA.mobi (676.6 KB, 318 views)

Last edited by crutledge; 03-30-2011 at 08:49 AM.
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:10 PM   #2
vanpelten
vanpelten began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Ever since I discovered E. F. Benson's "Lucia..." series here, I've become addicted to it -- despite the fact that my spouse greatly objects to my spurts of uncontrollable laughter (though I try to keep it silent as I can) while reading them on my nicely lit Kindle. Thank you all for bringing Mr. Benson -- a truly hidden gem -- to us.

I have a question regarding your Lucia posts and those of Harry T. (in addition to his Lucia Omnibus): what is the difference between yours and his? I just finished the first two books and, before continuing on with the rest of them, would like to get the most optimally formatted versions -- if there is such a thing. The duplicate titles both look good, without my reading through.

Any comment regarding this would be most welcome. And thank you and the other E. F. B. uploaders.

Last edited by vanpelten; 03-26-2011 at 07:49 PM.
vanpelten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2011, 02:57 PM   #3
vanpelten

Hello? Anybody home in crutledge-land...? :-)
Old 03-27-2011, 05:35 PM   #4
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanpelten View Post
Hello? Anybody home in crutledge-land...? :-)
I finally got around to this. Sorry.

Any dullications are unintentional. I know Harry does a splendid job. If there are duplicates you'll have to do your own comparison. I tiy to keep thing simple to work for ePub, LRF, and MOBI.

Ya pays yer monies and takes yer cherce.

Charlie
Old 03-28-2011, 11:40 AM   #5
vanpelten

Thanks for your response and clarification -- I can see you must be terribly busy, a veritable book-formatting machine you are

Seeing as it all boils down to personal preference, I'll *usually* take the newer one. My appreciation, as always.
Advert
Old 03-30-2011, 02:45 AM   #6
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Ah Crutledge I think you uploaded the wrong version to this page. It's supposed to be for the mobi format version of a book and you loaded the epub version instead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crutledge View Post
Edward Frederic Benson (24 July 1867 – 29 February 1940) was an English novelist, biographer, memoirist and short story writer, known professionally as E.F. Benson. His friends called him Fred. Edward Frederic Benson was the son of the Archbishop of Canterbury and member of a distinguished and eccentric family. After attending Marlborough and King's College, Cambridge where he studied classics and archaeology, he worked at the British School of Archaeology in Athens. One of our greatest humorists, he achieved great success at an early age with his first novel, Dodo (1893). He was a prolific author writing over a hundred books: serious novels, ghost stories, plays and biographies. But he is best remembered for his Lucia comedies written between 1920 and 1939 and other comic novels such as Paying Guests and Mrs Ames. He became mayor of Rye, the Sussex town that provided the model for his fictional Tilling, from 1934 to 1937.

Excerpt
Lucia Pillson, the Mayor-Elect of Tilling and her husband Georgie were talking together one October afternoon in the garden-room at Mallards. The debate demanded the exercise of their keenest faculties. Viz:
Should Lucia, when next month she entered on the supreme Municipal Office, continue to go down to the High Street every morning after breakfast with her market-basket, and make her personal purchases at the shops of the baker, the grocer, the butcher and wherever else the needs of the day's catering directed? There were pros and cons to be considered, and Lucia had been putting the case for both sides with the tedious lucidity of opposing counsel addressing the Court. It might be confidently expected that, when she had finished exploring the entire territory, she would be fully competent to express the verdict of the jury and the sentence of the judge. In anticipation of the numerous speeches she would soon be called upon to make as Mayor, she was cultivating, whenever she remembered to do so, a finished oratorical style, and a pedantic Oxford voice.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:52 AM   #7
crutledge
eBook FANatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Ah Crutledge I think you uploaded the wrong version to this page. It's supposed to be for the mobi format version of a book and you loaded the epub version instead.
My Pappy told me that to operate any machine you have to be smarter tthan the machins.

Thanks
Old 03-30-2011, 10:26 AM   #8
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
No Problem. I figured it was accidental. It's very easy to upload the wrong file by mistake. Especially when both have the same name and it's just a difference in format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crutledge View Post
My Pappy told me that to operate any machine you have to be smarter tthan the machins.

Thanks
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote