Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-17-2017, 12:24 PM   #1
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
PW3-4, PW3-32, fw-5.8.9.0.1 software jailbreak

This is a hardware/firmware specific variation on the current software jailbreak.

There have been some bricked devices reported by users of this procedure, see:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=71

No longer supported for non-active forum members.
Spoiler:

This is only tested on devices without Special Offers.
YMMV if you have Special Offers enabled (such as boot loops when the factory firmware starts the first time).

If you also have password access and/or parental controls set, you will probably not be able to rescue it from such a boot loop.
Keep in mind that risk if you decide to retain Special Offers and any access controls.

Your choice.
I do recommend that you have Special Offers removed before trying this jail break.

Registration: Anytime you change the Kindle's registration status, you stand a very good chance of losing the application keys install by the hotfix package.
You may have to re-install the hotfix if you change registration status.
It will do no harm to re-install the hotfix package at any time.

You should block any OTA updates before allowing the device to connect to the Internet.
To prevent OTA updates, add the OTA blocker directory (folder) name to the top level of visible USB storage.
The blocker directory is named: update.bin.tmp.partial
Use that exact name, no additional extension, no contents.

With reference to the current software jailbreak:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=275877

Read the above cautions.
Read the current jailbreak, with the exceptions you decide to make based on the above cautions, skip to step #4.

Step #4:
Use this file:
update_pw3_factory_5.8.9.0.1.bin (ask google).
This will "update" ("update" is the label on the button, not the action) your firmware from "customer" 5.8.9.0.1 to "factory" 5.8.9.0.1

Step #5:
As written.

Step #6:
Use this file:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...68&postcount=4

Step #7:
This will return your device to a "customer" firmware build.
Note that 5.9.<anything> is not listed in this section.
Not because this section is out-of-date but because I do not recommend its use.
(So please stop using 5.9.<something> only to post about things that are now broken.)

PW3-4Gbyte:
You can chose any customer firmware Amazon has posted for your PW3
The ones listed in the spoiler or newer (including 5.8.11)
- - -
PW3-32Gbyte:
DO NOT use any of the firmware links in the step #7 spoiler, they are all too old to run the 32Gbyte model.
Get a 5.8.9.2 or newer firmware from Amazon. ( 5.8.10 or 5.8.11 are also ok).

Step #8:
As written.

Last edited by knc1; 05-25-2018 at 08:34 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 12:48 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

PW3-32 special packages

Add-ins already re-packaged for the PW3-32Gbyte Japanese model by various users.

(Yeah, I have to look them up - this may take awhile)
Old 10-17-2017, 08:31 PM   #3
anhyeuviolet
Reset
anhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it is

Device: Kindle PaperWhite Manga
Thank you @knc1 !
Just wished I found this thread soon ...
anhyeuviolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:34 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by anhyeuviolet View Post
Thank you @knc1 !
Just wished I found this thread soon ...
Eight hours made a difference?
Old 10-17-2017, 08:44 PM   #5
anhyeuviolet
Reset
anhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Eight hours made a difference?
Ah, no.
My Manga-guy joined in my life from last Prime-day of this year. At this moment, I don't know about 5.8.9.0.1 version.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:50 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by anhyeuviolet View Post
Ah, no.
My Manga-guy joined in my life from last Prime-day of this year. At this moment, I don't know about 5.8.9.0.1 version.
It was shipped by mistake on some production batches of Kindles.
It was never intentionally released by Amazon and is fairly rare.
It shows up most often outside of the area(s) served by Amazon(USA).
Old 10-17-2017, 08:57 PM   #7
anhyeuviolet
Reset

Quote:
It was shipped by mistake on some production batches of Kindles.
It was never intentionally released by Amazon and is fairly rare.
It shows up most often outside of the area(s) served by Amazon(USA).
Yeah, that's right. Mine is Paper White 32GB from AMZ JP. Shipped with 5.8.9.0.1 (build exactly correct with the one mentioned in Software JB thread).

But at this moment, I think Manga version from JP cannot be JB and just let it OTA.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:47 PM   #8
Hin0112
Hin0112 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite manga
My PW3-32 is running 5.8.10 , is it possible to jb it this way?
Hin0112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 01:59 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hin0112 View Post
My PW3-32 is running 5.8.10 , is it possible to jb it this way?
short answer: No.

long answer:
Is 5.8.10 the same version as 5.8.9.0.1 ?
Which version do you see in the title?
translation:
Why would you even think to ask such a question? Are you just trying to give me a hard time?

Last edited by knc1; 10-22-2017 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:07 AM   #10
hainh
hainh began at the beginning.

Device: PW3, Nokia 8
Question

Oh, I've just bought a Kindle with this firmware version. This is the first time I own an e-reader, hesitating of jailbreaking this device, don't know if I had any chance bricking my Kindle.

Here is my device's info:

Serial Number: G090 G105 7266 05C4
Firmware version: Kindle 5.8.9.0.1 (3175970011)

It was special offers removed yesterday. I want it to be jailbroken, too.
hainh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 10:08 AM   #11
knc1
Going Viral

You will need a few links special for that device.
Watch your PM (Personal Message) box (and/or go to your "User CP" and set your e-mail notifications to "immediate" (IIRC: they default to weekly)).
Old 10-27-2017, 01:38 PM   #12
hainh
hainh began at the beginning.

Device: PW3, Nokia 8
My notification set.

FYI, my first attempt was failed, I downloaded the firmware on this thread and tried to upgrade then saw no 'Jail Broken' document, so I just stopped.
hainh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 02:01 PM   #13
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hainh View Post
My notification set.

FYI, my first attempt was failed, I downloaded the firmware on this thread and tried to upgrade then saw no 'Jail Broken' document, so I just stopped.
When you talk about where you stopped, were you talikng about the file used in Step 4, 5 or 6?

Step 4 should have the kindle reboot, for, 5-15 minutes depending on things ( the guy reading under a tree screen, and the progress bar ), that is normal. Tell us if it did not take a long time.

Step 5 is what actually does the jailbreak, and you can move onto that without hurting anything, as log as you follow the instructions from knc1's thread. If you get any problems with that, also stop.

Quote:
4. After validating the downloaded file, transfer the initial factory image from your computer to your Kindle.
Do not panic if the update is not immediate, it usually takes 10 minutes or longer.
If there is not a very noticeable delay and when you check USB storage the file has disappeared, that means this method will not work on the firmware version currently installed on your Kindle.

5. Download and install the current version of Branch Delay's factory firmware jail break.
This step installs two files, our signature certificate and a 'Jail Broken' document.
If the 'Jail Broken' document is not on your Kindle in the /documents folder after the completion of this step, then the certificate is not on it either!
If this happens to you, stop here and post about the problem, there is no reason to continue if the JB is now missing.
6. Download and install the current 'hotfix'

Last edited by coplate; 10-27-2017 at 02:07 PM.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 02:39 PM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
When you talk about where you stopped, were you talikng about the file used in Step 4, 5 or 6?

Step 4 should have the kindle reboot, for, 5-15 minutes depending on things ( the guy reading under a tree screen, and the progress bar ), that is normal. Tell us if it did not take a long time.

Step 5 is what actually does the jailbreak, and you can move onto that without hurting anything, as log as you follow the instructions from knc1's thread. If you get any problems with that, also stop.
Hold off on all of that!
My fault, I haven't sent the PM message yet.
The OP needs a special factory file.
Old 10-27-2017, 02:40 PM   #15
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by hainh View Post
My notification set.

That might be because I haven't sent you the file that you need yet.

You have disabled "Private Messages" (PM) -
You must enable them for me to send you the link which you need.

Last edited by knc1; 10-27-2017 at 02:56 PM.