Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-01-2014, 10:01 AM   #1
Pherstun
Pherstun began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7
Issues with metadata on series books

Hi all

I'm trying to get several series of books listed correctly.

They look right on the PC, are tagged correctly in Calibre and listed correctly in the PC folder, but when I transfer them to my Nexus 7 (v1) it either swaps the author name and series/number/title, or swaps the author name and title and the series/number disappears.

The file format comes up as 'Kindle format' but I've generally had no problem putting them on/reading them on the Nexus. I have individually edited the metadata in Calibre, renamed the PC folder titles and downloaded the metadata from Amazon - yet still they will not show correctly on the Nexus. A few series have worked fine, most haven't. Some are relatively old books, others are newer.

The books are normally stored on a shared drive but I know this can cause some issues so have tried moving some to the C:/ drive but still it won't work. I have tried transferring them to the Nexus via both Windows Explorer and Calibre itself but it doesn't make a difference.

I am tearing out my hair here, I believe I'm doing it right but either the PC isn't transferring it correctly to the Nexus or the Nexus isn't reading it right - I just don't know which.

Can anyone help me please?

Thanks,
Debbie
Pherstun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:13 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pherstun View Post
Hi all

I'm trying to get several series of books listed correctly.

They look right on the PC, are tagged correctly in Calibre and listed correctly in the PC folder, but when I transfer them to my Nexus 7 (v1) it either swaps the author name and series/number/title, or swaps the author name and title and the series/number disappears.

The file format comes up as 'Kindle format' but I've generally had no problem putting them on/reading them on the Nexus. I have individually edited the metadata in Calibre, renamed the PC folder titles and downloaded the metadata from Amazon - yet still they will not show correctly on the Nexus. A few series have worked fine, most haven't. Some are relatively old books, others are newer.

The books are normally stored on a shared drive but I know this can cause some issues so have tried moving some to the C:/ drive but still it won't work. I have tried transferring them to the Nexus via both Windows Explorer and Calibre itself but it doesn't make a difference.

I am tearing out my hair here, I believe I'm doing it right but either the PC isn't transferring it correctly to the Nexus or the Nexus isn't reading it right - I just don't know which.

Can anyone help me please?

Thanks,
Debbie
I have little hair, so I am safe

Shared drives has most to do with maintaining Integrity of the Library (Single user, not Network disturbance/file system quirk tolerant)

If Calibre does not SEND the books, the most current metadata will not be used. Don't use the O/S to copy (Calibre Library) books to devices. They don't always have the updates.

Use the Plugboard to wedge the desired metadata fields into the title (or one displayed by YOUR device)

Use the Quality check Plugin to verify all metadata (sorts?) uses the current rules. Use other tools to make it so .
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 02:51 PM   #3
Pherstun
Pherstun began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7
Hi theducks

Thank you for your speedy reply. I've never used or heard of plugboards or plugins before!

I have made the plugboard - I searched for Calibre plugboard and followed the instructions in https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...bre_Plugboards

I sent one book via Calibre to the Nexus but there's no difference to the format, it's still transposing author and title, ignoring the series and number.

I can't find a quality check plugin on the list of the plugins and I need to be careful about modifying eBook formats since my hubby has a Kindle and I would be concerned I'd screw it up for his reader.

Any other ideas please?

Debbie
Pherstun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 03:30 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I don't know why you wouldn't be seeing it in the Plugins list, but you can manually install it from here: [GUI Plugin] Quality Check.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 03:32 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pherstun View Post
Hi theducks

Thank you for your speedy reply. I've never used or heard of plugboards or plugins before!

I have made the plugboard - I searched for Calibre plugboard and followed the instructions in https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...bre_Plugboards

I sent one book via Calibre to the Nexus but there's no difference to the format, it's still transposing author and title, ignoring the series and number.

I can't find a quality check plugin on the list of the plugins and I need to be careful about modifying eBook formats since my hubby has a Kindle and I would be concerned I'd screw it up for his reader.

Any other ideas please?

Debbie
Info bout the QC PI
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=125428

It should appear on the Get Plugins menu (it may be installed by another user of your PC)
You can have as many DIFFERENT formats in your Library without affecting each other. The metadata is Common to all.

The Plugboard is by DEVICE type AND format specific

The N7 is a Tablet, right? What APP do you read with, That has display rules also.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:32 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Pherstun - best place to ask about plugboards is in this thread Plugboard, template, and custom composite column recipes

Here is the [GUI Plugin] Quality Check plug-in

If you want the current EPUB or AZW3 format file in the library book folder to have up-to-date metadata you can use the Polish Book feature. Its built it into the core, so no PI install needed. Select book(s) and press 'p', or put Polish Books in preferred tool/menu bar via Preferences->Toolbar

That's Polish as in 'make shiny'.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 03:37 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Ninja post!!

eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:00 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post

That's Polish as in 'make shiny'.

BR
I like the other kind. On a bun with Deli Mustard and Kraut. Washing it down with a dark beer does not ruin anything