Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-31-2008, 08:42 AM   #1
haridasi
Zealot
haridasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enough

Device: irex iliad
Tip for Iliad stand

While on shopping today I found the stand displayed in the pictures below. It was a stand used for displaying dishes in the stores and it´s perfect for reading while eating - and easy to travel with (very light). Price: 6 USD

Another entry about iliad stands:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0580.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	13137   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0584.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	13138   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0585.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	13139  
haridasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 10:27 AM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Very simple and effective I imagine this would work for other readers possibly
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2008, 03:05 PM   #3
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
Very simple and effective I imagine this would work for other readers possibly
It should.

I hadn't thought about getting a plate easel* for holding a book reader, but now that you've brought it up ... I've seen versions of this that have hinges at the bottom allowing the two legs to fold (or swivel) so that the whole thing can be packed flat. And there are acrylic ones that fold flat. And decorative ones!

* search Google for this term to get some great ideas.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 03:52 PM   #4
haridasi
Zealot
haridasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
It should.

I hadn't thought about getting a plate easel* for holding a book reader, but now that you've brought it up ... I've seen versions of this that have hinges at the bottom allowing the two legs to fold (or swivel) so that the whole thing can be packed flat. And there are acrylic ones that fold flat. And decorative ones!
I would love to see pictures of other options around if anybody finds it.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:19 PM   #5
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

OK -- I went out to Hobby Lobby this afternoon & picked up a couple of easels. My objective was to get one that folded up so it would be easy to carry in my backpack or suitcase.

I found this metal one:

and the Kindle works very well in it:

Slide the upright piece back or forward to change the angle of the Kindle for best viewing.

Then, I picked up this pair of plastic easels:

The Kindle works very well in the 8-inch easel with its cover on, but I took the cover off for the 5-inch easel. Even at that, the 5-inch just felt too unsteady, so I'm going to find another use for it -- perhaps displaying a photo or small piece of artwork.

Prices:

Metal easel: $3.99
Small plastic: $1.99
Large plastic: $2.99

There were many more to choose from, including folding easels just like the plastic ones, but made from wood with brass hinges.

If you want to see some really ornate plate easels, just search online. I found some absolutely gorgeous ones.
Advert
Old 06-01-2008, 03:59 AM   #6
haridasi
Zealot

That looked great! I especially liked the plastic one. Even easier to take with you on travels.

Did you look at any ornately plate easels? Did you get any feeling as to wether they would work as ereader stand or be more of a hassle (cover up/press buttons and the likes)?
Old 06-01-2008, 07:35 PM   #7
Elsi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by haridasi View Post
Did you look at any ornately plate easels? Did you get any feeling as to wether they would work as ereader stand or be more of a hassle (cover up/press buttons and the likes)?
I didn't take my Kindle with me to the store, so I just bought the least-expensive folding easels.

Looking at the ornate ones online such as this one http://www.theplatelady.com/bards/425.jpg, I don't have any worry that the scroll would cover up or press any of the buttons that matter on my Kindle. While reading, most (though not all) of the buttons on the lower part of the Kindle are inactive. And, I'd take the Kindle out of the stand before selecting any function other than "next page" or "previous page".

Take your reader to a store that sells plate stands and check them out. Or, if you do order online, make sure that it's from a company that will take a return if the stand doesn't work with your iLiad.

By the way -- the site above has lots of folding stands much like the plastic ones that I bought -- but much better quality such as wood and brass.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:07 PM   #8
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
You´ve got only one problem. It doesn´t look really stable.

If it falls on the display you´ve probably lost at least 275 Euro (if it is an Iliad).
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 05:00 AM   #9
haridasi
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
You´ve got only one problem. It doesn´t look really stable.

If it falls on the display you´ve probably lost at least 275 Euro (if it is an Iliad).
It has to be on even ground, but it is stable and sits well. Remember, these are used to display plates in stores that are more fragile than the iliad.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:11 AM   #10
darwin
darwin began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
In UK you can buy a Bookchair - excellent for heavy books, and also for the Iliad. All sizes and colours - recommended!
darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:33 AM   #11
haridasi
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwin View Post
In UK you can buy a Bookchair - excellent for heavy books, and also for the Iliad. All sizes and colours - recommended!
I did a little search, and what did I find - this nice little site
Old 08-22-2008, 07:36 PM   #12
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by haridasi View Post
It has to be on even ground, but it is stable and sits well. Remember, these are used to display plates in stores that are more fragile than the iliad.
But no one is pressing a button to turn the page on the display plates in the store. Does the stand move when you press buttons on the ebook device?
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 05:46 AM   #13
haridasi
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
But no one is pressing a button to turn the page on the display plates in the store. Does the stand move when you press buttons on the ebook device?
When turning pages one usually put once hand on the device and that keeps it in place. The stand doesn't move then.

If one try to turn pages without the hand supporting it, then the stand moves, but I found page turning less easier then - it wasn't a natural way of turning pages.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:10 PM   #14
jbbebg
Enthusiast
jbbebg began at the beginning.

Device: prs 500, prs 505, Irex Iliad, Irex Digital
Iliad cradle for simultaneously charging

Hi,

I did very simple cradle station. It is made by PCB FR4 material. It is the same material as the Printed circuits are made. The benefit of this material is that the parts are fixed together by solder.
The cradle uses the original plug and adapter. The intention of this cradle is to simplify use of the Iliad connection to charger.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IliadCradle1.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	16182   Click image for larger version

Name:	IliadCradle2.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	16183   Click image for larger version

Name:	IliadCradle3.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	16184  
jbbebg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 01:32 AM   #15
haridasi
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbebg View Post
Hi,

I did very simple cradle station. It is made by PCB FR4 material. It is the same material as the Printed circuits are made. The benefit of this material is that the parts are fixed together by solder.
The cradle uses the original plug and adapter. The intention of this cradle is to simplify use of the Iliad connection to charger.
That is cool !!!
I would like to know more about how you made it though. It sounds so easy when you only write it in two sentences.