Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-12-2009, 09:04 AM   #1
bookwurm70
Addict
bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: eSlick, Pocketbook IQ, iPad, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE
nook and eSlick storage and sorting ebooks

I am a Palm user and have used my Palm pilot for reading ebooks for the last 5 years and love it. But I am ready for an e-Ink device for the larger screen size and more comfortable reading. I've been looking for a while but am just now serious about buying.

Since I have hundreds of books in eReader (pbd) format a reader than can read them is especially important.

I think my main feature it how it reader stores and sorts ebooks, since I have so many. I do not care about access to a store online, since I live outside the U.S. and I am happy buying books on my laptop and leaving them there.

I've looked at nook and was very excited about it, but not so happy with how it stores books, especially since I don't plan to buy from B&N, I'm a happy Fictionwise customer. I'm intrigued by the eSlick, but can't find much information about it.

I'd love to hear from you if you have an eSlick or a nook about how they store and sort books. I really what to have categories, or books shelves, or whatever you want to call it like I have on my Palm ereader software. Also the ability to sort by author as well as title. Series would be wonderful but doubtful.

I'm also a little intrigued by Sony products, since I have been reading about converting pdb to epub.
bookwurm70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 01:35 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The Nook does not have folder navigation, and I'm not sure it shows cover images for non-B&N ebooks (since the B&N Windows app does not do this).

The eSlick has been out for a while, but the latest firmware update with eReader and (DRM-free) ePub has really made it into a different device. The hardware is a Netronix EB-600, which is used by a lot of different EInk Readers (Bookeen Gen3, Cool-er, ....). It is a good design, if a bit outdated (e.g. 4 level gray scale), and the only consistent complaint against it is that the keypad can be stiff. The eSlick firmware is by Foxit, and it does have folders.

Note that the Ectaco Jetbook is supposed to be getting DRMed eReader support in its next firmware update, due this month. It isn't EInk, but it does have folders. Another potential option at the other end of the price scale is the iRex DR800SG with an 8.1" EInk screen, which was supposed to be out by now but has been delayed. It has folders and eReader support.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2009, 03:04 PM   #3
bookwurm70
Addict
bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: eSlick, Pocketbook IQ, iPad, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE
Thanks for the info about the other readers. What kind of screen does the Ectaco Jetbook have, just a regular LCD?

This is so cool that so many readers are going to be using the PRC format!
bookwurm70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 03:19 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwurm70 View Post
What kind of screen does the Ectaco Jetbook have, just a regular LCD?
It has a Reflective LCD screen, grayscale with no backlight.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote