Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 10-23-2011, 12:43 PM   #16
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I
p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Acer 200, Asus FHD, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokee View Post
Hey pasmith - just a few follow-up quesitons for you, if you don't mind...

1) The .avi is not a supported file type when I look at the specs. But...that just means that they don't have pre-loaded software that supports it, correct? So, in theory, I should be able to download a free app to play any of my .avi files?

3) Will there be something I can use to play library borrowed audio books that are .wma files (I had to download 'Overdrive Media Console' to listen to a book I borrowed recently on my PC).

6) I didn't realize you could use Reading Life right now...can I do that with my Kobo WiFi?

8) That zinio website for magazines looks great, but it doesn't have Entertainment Weekly or People in Canada It's kinda pricey though...I can get a discounted paper subscription for most of those for much cheaper. I do like the capability of buying single back-issues to mags I don't subscribe to, though! That's cool! But...can you keep them forever or do they expire?

Thanks again for all the info!!!
1) Yes, there are lots of other movie players that are free apps. My suspicion is that the stock one might play .avi even if it is not listend in the specs. The one loaded on my tablet didn't show .mkv files but plays them just fine.

2)If they won't play out of the box then there are plenty of .wma file players as free apps (just go to www.getjar.com and you can search for what is availble. I found four or five which should do the trick assuming there is not strange drm in play and if there is there should be an app to cover it.)

6) I don't think Reading Life is part of Kobo Wifi but they are working on a new firmware for that device so it may be possible in the future (not a promise just a speculation on my part). Reading Life is part of the Android App.

8) Sorry about that I thought I saw EW and People on the site when I was browsing one time (no idea if they will show up electronically any time in the future). I'm not sure but I think you might be able to buy magazines from other parts of the world through Zinio. Unfortunately like e-books most times they are cheaper but sometimes they are not. I've never seen an expiry date on my magazines or read about one anywhere. I'm not sure how long they stay on the server but after you download them to your device I expect they stay until you delete them.
p_a_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:24 PM   #17
cypherslock
Groupie
cypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Vox
What I'm curious to know is: Does it do the .mobi and .pdf?
cypherslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2011, 05:42 PM   #18
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
You will be able to read .pdf's with the Vox. I think someone said that you can download the Kindle app to read .mobi books...?
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:46 AM   #19
shawnatmann
shawnatmann began at the beginning.

Device: android phone
Letter from KOBO... KOBO VOX does not allow you to read library books THIS SUCKS!

Kobo Vox Apps [Incident: 111021-000037]

X

Inbox
X

More|
Kobo Customer Care via mailmw.custhelp.com to me

show details Oct 29 (2 days ago)

Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support center. Below is a summary of your request and our response.

If this issue is not resolved to your satisfaction, you may reopen it within the next 10 days.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

Subject
Kobo Vox Apps

Discussion Thread
Response Via Email (Joseph, Aldine) 10/29/2011 07:59 AM

Hi Shawna,

Thank you for contacting Kobo Customer Care, we apologize for the delay in responding to your email.

In response to the following questions, we do not recommend that you borrow books from the Vox library.

We are sorry but there is no overdrive app available on the Vox.

We are sorry but Kobo do not support the Kindle singles as we do not have the format for these books

We are so very happy that you love the kobo books and we appreciated your business.

Should you have any other questions or concerns do not hesitate to contact Kobo Customer Care.

Sincerely
The Kobo Team
Customer By Email (Shawna Mann) 10/21/2011 01:01 AM
How do I borrow library books on the KOBO Vox? Is the Overdrive App
available on the KOBO Vox? Also, incidentally, for those books I cannot
find on KOBO, such as Kindle singles and academic literature, is the Kindle
App available on the KOBO Vox too? I have these apps on my android 2.3
phone, so I figure since this is an Android operating system on this ereader
that the same should be available here. I love the KOBO book selection,
don't get me wrong. I don't want a Kindle either. I had bought a Kindle
WiFi plus 3G and took it back to Staples when I found out how much it sucks
for people who are not American. I was just hoping that the KOBO Vox would
be able to do everything I hope.
Thanks.
Shawna Mann
shawnatmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:38 AM   #20
ronin688
Enthusiast
ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: REB-1100/ EBW-1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnatmann View Post
Kobo Vox Apps [Incident: 111021-000037]

X

Inbox
X

More|
Kobo Customer Care via mailmw.custhelp.com to me

show details Oct 29 (2 days ago)

Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support center. Below is a summary of your request and our response.

If this issue is not resolved to your satisfaction, you may reopen it within the next 10 days.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

Subject
Kobo Vox Apps

Discussion Thread
Response Via Email (Joseph, Aldine) 10/29/2011 07:59 AM

Hi Shawna,

Thank you for contacting Kobo Customer Care, we apologize for the delay in responding to your email.

In response to the following questions, we do not recommend that you borrow books from the Vox library.

We are sorry but there is no overdrive app available on the Vox.

We are sorry but Kobo do not support the Kindle singles as we do not have the format for these books

We are so very happy that you love the kobo books and we appreciated your business.

Should you have any other questions or concerns do not hesitate to contact Kobo Customer Care.

Sincerely
The Kobo Team
Customer By Email (Shawna Mann) 10/21/2011 01:01 AM
How do I borrow library books on the KOBO Vox? Is the Overdrive App
available on the KOBO Vox? Also, incidentally, for those books I cannot
find on KOBO, such as Kindle singles and academic literature, is the Kindle
App available on the KOBO Vox too? I have these apps on my android 2.3
phone, so I figure since this is an Android operating system on this ereader
that the same should be available here. I love the KOBO book selection,
don't get me wrong. I don't want a Kindle either. I had bought a Kindle
WiFi plus 3G and took it back to Staples when I found out how much it sucks
for people who are not American. I was just hoping that the KOBO Vox would
be able to do everything I hope.
Thanks.
Shawna Mann

I'm pretty sure I've seen reports of people installing and using the overdrive app and I am certain I've seen people report getting the Kindle app to work as well.

I don't have a Vox yet, but I've been keeping up on the forum here since it was launched. Check through the other threads there may be some solutions out there for you.
ronin688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2011, 06:53 AM   #21
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
I did install the Overdrive app and got as far as authorizing the adobe ID. Since I am giving it as a gift I didn't proceed further. Also installed Kindle app. Again no books but am quite sure that would work.

Customer service needs to be informed that just because it is not native doesn't mean it won't work. "borrowing books from the Vox library" is a strange statement.

(I found the apps by googling around; Android Market of course won't work.)
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:00 PM   #22
RoxyJ
Junior Book Zombie
RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone, ipad
Hi I have installed the Kindle app, and it worked Here is a link to Slideme: http://slideme.org/application/kindle. I also installed the Overdrive app directly from Overdrive website here is a link: http://www.overdrive.com/software/omc/AndroidEULA.aspx
RoxyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:36 PM   #23
cypherslock
Groupie
cypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Vox
Kindle app works and gets all your books. Overdrive works as well. I think the customer service department needs a crash course in Android. I'm brand new and I can figure this out for the most part. sheesh! Keeping it.
cypherslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:51 PM   #24
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyJ View Post
Hi I have installed the Kindle app, and it worked Here is a link to Slideme: http://slideme.org/application/kindle. I also installed the Overdrive app directly from Overdrive website here is a link: http://www.overdrive.com/software/omc/AndroidEULA.aspx

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:55 PM   #25
estelle58
Cat lover
estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo, iPad mini, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura
I got the 3 Angry Birds games... they look so much better than on the iPhone
estelle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:59 PM   #26
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypherslock View Post
Kindle app works and gets all your books. Overdrive works as well. I think the customer service department needs a crash course in Android. I'm brand new and I can figure this out for the most part. sheesh! Keeping it.
Cool!
Old 10-31-2011, 01:00 PM   #27
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by estelle58 View Post
Those birds better watch out for those cats in your avatar!
Old 10-31-2011, 01:07 PM   #28
estelle58
Cat lover
estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo, iPad mini, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Those birds better watch out for those cats in your avatar!

estelle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:25 AM   #29
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Off topic, my Siamese, Tinkerbell.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tinkerbell.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	78486  
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:23 AM   #30
moolyn
Rookie eBookie
moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch, Kobo Touch, iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by estelle58 View Post
Which Angry Birds apps are the best to download? There are so many options. I'd prefer without ads, if possible.

I have all three on my iPod Touch and am looking forward to playing on a larger screen!
moolyn is offline   Reply With Quote