Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-22-2011, 06:01 AM   #1
iomari
Zealot
iomari doesn't litteriomari doesn't litter

Device: galaxy tab
opf file

I have some books from a another calibre lib that have opf files with the books. How can i import the opf into my database? When I add the book, the info I see in the opf file does not import into the existing database. I usually have to manually copy and paste the opf info into my current database.
iomari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:19 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by iomari View Post
I have some books from a another calibre lib that have opf files with the books. How can i import the opf into my database? When I add the book, the info I see in the opf file does not import into the existing database. I usually have to manually copy and paste the opf info into my current database.
These opf files do not need to be copied.

These are created automatically by calibre as a way of backing up your existing library's metadata.db file in the event of catastrophic loss or damage to the file. If the file is damaged there is a restore feature that utilizes these files to restore your metadata.db file.

Any new book you add will eventually (usually very quickly) have this file added to the directory.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2011, 06:30 AM   #3
iomari
Zealot

Yes but I have run across books that have opf files with them with summary info which i would like imported when I import the book. How can I do this without manually copy and paste?
Old 09-22-2011, 06:39 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes but I have run across books that have opf files with them with summary info which i would like imported when I import the book. How can I do this without manually copy and paste?
In these instances, when you add books, make sure under Preferences - Adding books that the Read metadata from file contents rather than filename is checked.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-22-2011 at 06:48 AM.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:47 AM   #5
iomari
Zealot

Advert
Old 09-22-2011, 06:50 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
You're welcome.

One additional thought. I use the quick preferences plugin to quickly switch between Adding Books options and saved regex (see attached). You might find it handy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	quick-preferences.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	76788  
Old 09-22-2011, 07:58 AM   #7
iomari
Zealot

cool :-)
However I'm still finding it difficult to make "Add Books" read the metadata.opf file that comes with some books. Exactly how is that done? i have always had "read metadata from file contents rather than filename" checked but it's still not importing the metadata.opf file that is in the same folder as the actual book. any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:24 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
However I'm still finding it difficult to make "Add Books" read the metadata.opf file that comes with some books. Exactly how is that done? i have always had "read metadata from file contents rather than filename" checked but it's still not importing the metadata.opf file that is in the same folder as the actual book. any help would be appreciated.
I don't know a way to import the data from an external opf file. I just make sure the Author and Title is correct then quickly download the appropriate metadata.

Maybe someone else will have a tip.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:31 AM   #9
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Maybe someone else will have a tip.
Use menu files, import books, each book is in single directory and I think, Calibre will import data from opf and even a cover. I think I have imported a few books this way - reading metadata from opf file.

You can also experiment with adding book by drag and drop from directory containing opf.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:15 AM   #10
iomari
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Use menu files, import books, each book is in single directory and I think, Calibre will import data from opf and even a cover. I think I have imported a few books this way - reading metadata from opf file.
:-) cool. That worked

dwanthny thanks for your help also.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:28 AM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post

You can also experiment with adding book by drag and drop from directory containing opf.
I didn't think there was a way to avoid importing the opf, but since it didn't work for him I assumed I was wrong. I'm guessing he was just clicking the add book icon and added one book at a time.

This is why it is great having so many voices assisting on this forum.

Quote:
dwanthny thanks for your help also.
You're welcome.