Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-04-2010, 07:58 PM   #16
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post
I keep hearing her name as being on a par with the greats of scifi, but for some reason I've never read her. I think it's because the blurb on the back made her books out to be some kind of fantasy rather than scifi - the two are often lumped together by the ignorant.

So all you ULG fans, where would be a good place to start?

TIA
Try this short story:

The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas

http://harelbarzilai.org/words/omelas.txt
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:04 PM   #17
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Try this short story:

The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas

http://harelbarzilai.org/words/omelas.txt
Oh - a classic! It smacks you in your brain! Really makes you think!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2010, 02:59 AM   #18
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Oh - a classic! It smacks you in your brain! Really makes you think!
A long established tradition.

beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:06 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post
I keep hearing her name as being on a par with the greats of scifi, but for some reason I've never read her. I think it's because the blurb on the back made her books out to be some kind of fantasy rather than scifi - the two are often lumped together by the ignorant.

So all you ULG fans, where would be a good place to start?

TIA
A good place to start is at the end. I don't find her writing all that wonderful.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:22 AM   #20
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A good place to start is at the end. I don't find her writing all that wonderful.
I've never liked her either. I've tried. Oh, how I've tried.

Earthsea was probably the biggest disappointment for me. It sounded really promising, someone whose taste I trust recommended it to me, but I was cautious because I was already familiar with Le Guin and didn't care for her writing.

I found Earthsea to be completely cold and void of all emotion. I didn't care one bit about the characters, the bad guy wasn't scary in any way, and there was very little description. It was a quick read because it's a short book, but that's about all I can say for it. Perhaps if I'd read it when it was first written… I hear it was quite the trend-setter. But I've read much better fantasy YA books than this.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2010, 07:10 PM   #21
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
The Left Hand of Darkness is definitely a classic of ULG. She has also been something of a doyen of the gay movement since the early 1970s, partly as a result of that work. Also check out her rendering of the Tao Te Ching.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:12 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
The Left Hand of Darkness is definitely a classic of ULG. Also check out her rendering of the Tao Te Ching.
Would that be a classic example of how not to do it correctly?
Old 11-07-2010, 07:13 PM   #23
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
No, JSWolf ... her rendering is poetic.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 04:49 AM   #24
gollu
Unsullied
gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Would that be a classic example of how not to do it correctly?
I just don't get it - you made sure earlier that all of us know you don't like ULG writing. So why go on and troll in a thread about ULG reading suggestion?
It may be a staggering revelation to you but there are millions of readers that enjoy book you don't like. It could be shocking to know as well that critics recommend those books too.

// End of rant/troll meal
gollu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:32 AM   #25
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gollu View Post
I just don't get it - you made sure earlier that all of us know you don't like ULG writing. So why go on and troll in a thread about ULG reading suggestion?
It may be a staggering revelation to you but there are millions of readers that enjoy book you don't like. It could be shocking to know as well that critics recommend those books too.

// End of rant/troll meal
Agreed.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:40 AM   #26
hal2814
Connoisseur
hal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 2
I'm not a fan of most of LeGuinn's work but I do absolutely love Lathe of Heaven. I highly recommend reading it but I don't find it to be a typical example of her work.
hal2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:42 AM   #27
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal2814 View Post
I'm not a fan of most of LeGuinn's work but I do absolutely love Lathe of Heaven. I highly recommend reading it but I don't find it to be a typical example of her work.
Have you read: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=16 ?
Old 11-09-2010, 08:02 AM   #28
hal2814
Connoisseur
hal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I have not, but I'll check it out. Thanks for the suggestion.
hal2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:10 AM   #29
kennyc

I think it's maybe in the same vein as Lathe .... I'm not a big fan of her fantasy work, but love her SF/Social Commentary works.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:26 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Poetic? The way she describes things is really annoying. It gets in the way of the plot.