Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-14-2014, 10:55 PM   #1
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
An FYI to Library Paid Borrowers

For those who have a paid membership or are considering one, please make sure you will still have access to Overdrive. My small county library has the following notice posted on their website. It's possible the restriction will spread to the larger more active libraries.

Quote:
Due to licensing agreement Paid Borrowers will no longer be able to use OverDrive downloadable eBooks and Audiobooks past September 1, 2014.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:19 AM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
For those who have a paid membership or are considering one, please make sure you will still have access to Overdrive. My small county library has the following notice posted on their website. It's possible the restriction will spread to the larger more active libraries.
Thanks - I haven't seen that at the Seattle Public Library yet.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:44 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm surprised the loophole has remained open this long, to be honest.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:51 AM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
...and continues to remain open. If OverDrive shuts this down for all libraries, the Brooklyn and Philadelphia libraries will lose a lot of paid customers.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:59 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
...and continues to remain open. If OverDrive shuts this down for all libraries, the Brooklyn and Philadelphia libraries will lose a lot of paid customers.
Yep. But it's a hole you could drive a truck through in the whole idea of geographical restrictions on ebook distribution.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:16 AM   #6
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
What exactly is the loophole?
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:24 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
What exactly is the loophole?
The fact that anyone, anywhere in the world, can join a library like the NY public library, and check out ebooks that are supposed to be available only to people in the US. The same applies to libraries in other countries, too, of course, for books that are supposed to only be available in those countries.

Last edited by HarryT; 07-15-2014 at 05:32 AM.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:45 AM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
The fact that anyone, anywhere in the world, can join a library like the NY public library, and check out ebooks that are supposed to be available only to people in the US. The same applies to libraries in other countries, too, of course, for books that are supposed to only be available in those countries.
Also prohibited are patrons who live in the same country, but outside of the library's district.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:52 AM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
The NYPL stopped selling cards years ago and since around that time the libraries who continue to do so have had limitations on what books are available to them. They've chosen, so far, to go with those limitations in favor of paid cards. It's possible this is ending for all libraries. It's also possible that Fbone's specific library has decided it no longer wants to have those limitations.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:13 PM   #10
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
I know that hard cases make bad law, but what about the Overdrive collections of the US armed services branches, and the Department of Defense One Click Digital collection? Should our soldiers deployed to Germany, or Britain, or less pleasant places, be stopped from downloading books, whether military history or for reading relaxation?

By the way, British soldiers on American Army bases are allowed to use our collections. Look at all the loopholes that creates as well-read tommies* travel!

And it's more than soldiers. The US Army collection is openly available to family members as various as "parent in law" (that would be my wife and I**) or "former spouse family member." (See "Relationship" pull-down menu here.). That makes for another big loophole, since the millions of people in one or another of those relationship categories live in many countries.

Also, when we go to Canada, are we supposed to not download a book from our local public library Overdrive collection? If it wasn't for this kind of thread, I wouldn't have a clue that is against a rule (if it really is).

Suppose that someone from Britain, vacationing in the US, downloads a James Bond book from their home public library Overdrive collection, despite being in a country where the local rights holder, Amazon Publishing, does not cooperate with public libraries. Amazon should have known that could happen when they bought those rights, so I don't see any unfairness.

Right in front of me, I happen to have my daughters's Barnet London Borough Library Membership card. Lucky she doesn't know the PIN, so I'm not tempted to open another loophole

I know it's easy to make a bit of fun of the situation. And it's hard to envision a cheap practical way to unify worldwide rights without creating new downsides.

** But don't be jealous. The Army collection isn't large. The US Navy looks better

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 07-15-2014 at 09:17 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:45 PM   #11
yuhuanjoan
yuhuanjoan is kind to children and small, furry animalsyuhuanjoan is kind to children and small, furry animalsyuhuanjoan is kind to children and small, furry animalsyuhuanjoan is kind to children and small, furry animalsyuhuanjoan is kind to children and small, furry animalsyuhuanjoan is kind to children and small, furry animalsyuhuanjoan is kind to children and small, furry animalsyuhuanjoan is kind to children and small, furry animalsyuhuanjoan is kind to children and small, furry animalsyuhuanjoan is kind to children and small, furry animalsyuhuanjoan is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: none
I also haven't seen that yet.
yuhuanjoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:21 AM   #12
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Geo-blocking is, imho, an abomination. Whilst technology has created one world market, geo-blocking seeks, in a sense, to turn back the clock. The main beneficiaries are, of course, rights-holders who can leverage the maximum profits from their rights, and businesses who buy the rights to rape and pillage in their particular area without competition. The ones who suffer are of course consumers and of course businesses who would like to compete, and authors and other creators.

I have no problems with companies making profits. However, when technology makes business models obsolete, I don't believe we have any obligation to preserve those business models, particulary with ever more draconian legislation procured by armies of lobbyists. Big publishing, in particular, has extracted more than it's pound of flesh from Australians in the pre-Amazon pre-ebook days. Believe it or not, agency pricing seems to continue to flourish in Australia!
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:21 AM   #13
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Chicago Public Library cut off reciprocal ebook borrowing several years ago. They said it took too much of the librarians' time to deal with all the issues. And even if I paid as a nonresident, I couldn't get access to ebooks. I got the impression that the librarians were fighting for their lives, and they needed to please their patrons, not people who pay a pittance to gain access. For example, I can join the CPL as a nonresident for $100-I currently pay almost $500 through my property taxes to gain access to my local library.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:06 PM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Seattle (SPL) and King County (KCLS) have a reciprocal borrowing agreement that won't allow SPL patrons to place holds at King County libraries. KCLS patrons aren't restricted and can still place holds at Seattle libraries. Agreements between Seattle and other libraries don't have this restriction.

Why can't Seattle residents place holds on KCLS materials?

Quote:
In 2006 the imbalance of cross-usage between the two libraries had reached approximately $1 million. At that time the parties agreed to implement the holds restriction for Seattle patrons at KCLS, which effectively offset this imbalance.
Quote:
Patrons who live within the Seattle city limits still may not place holds, a limit in place since October 1, 2006. This limit was imposed to relieve KCLS taxpayers of the cost of serving Seattle residents, as discovered in a cross-use study between KCLS and SPL. When cross-use was re-examined in 2008, this limitation had corrected this imbalance resulting in fairly even cross-use for taxpayers of both Library Systems.

Under the current arrangement, Seattle patrons are not eligible to make use of KCLS eBooks and downloadable Audiobooks from services that include a holds component–for example, Overdrive.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:29 PM   #15
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Chicago Public Library cut off reciprocal ebook borrowing several years ago. They said it took too much of the librarians' time to deal with all the issues. And even if I paid as a nonresident, I couldn't get access to ebooks. I got the impression that the librarians were fighting for their lives, and they needed to please their patrons, not people who pay a pittance to gain access. For example, I can join the CPL as a nonresident for $100-I currently pay almost $500 through my property taxes to gain access to my local library.
I don't really care too much about the georestrictions issue - but I would be annoyed if I couldn't get e-books because they were going to non-resident cardholders rather than to the people whose property taxes are going to support the library (and I only pay $200).
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote