Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-04-2012, 06:32 AM   #76
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I just checked the largest Swedish operator, their 4G network covers 92% of the country (up in the north user a few and far between) with max speeds of 80 Mbit/sec. I was thinking that 4G woud primarily be used for video phones/Skype connections. But if 4G doesn't carry voice, I have more difficulty seeing the point of it. Their competitor, a little less coverage, offers a free data plan for 400SEK/month or appr. $55/month with the same speed. I have the lower HDSPA+ data plan which states speeds up to 35Mbit/sec, in reality I get around 11Mbit/sec for about $35/month.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:45 AM   #77
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
The iphone 5 appears twice in the web browsing battery stats --- and the LTE version has double the battery life of the non-LTE type? Looks like there is a problem with these charts.

I have the Galaxy SIII on Verizon and yeah it eats battery, but I love it, just plug it in overnight and good to go.

Last edited by kennyc; 11-04-2012 at 06:50 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:14 AM   #78
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a dead as PARROT Kindle keyboard 3G,NEXUS 7 and Proud Of It
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I just checked the largest Swedish operator, their 4G network covers 92% of the country (up in the north user a few and far between) with max speeds of 80 Mbit/sec. I was thinking that 4G woud primarily be used for video phones/Skype connections. But if 4G doesn't carry voice, I have more difficulty seeing the point of it. Their competitor, a little less coverage, offers a free data plan for 400SEK/month or appr. $55/month with the same speed. I have the lower HDSPA+ data plan which states speeds up to 35Mbit/sec, in reality I get around 11Mbit/sec for about $35/month.

That hardly surprises me as Sweden was the first country in the world to start building there network back in 2009

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LTE_%28...mmunication%29
''The world's first publicly available LTE service was launched by TeliaSonera in Oslo and Stockholm on 14 December 2009.[3] LTE is the natural upgrade path for carriers with GSM/UMTS networks, but even CDMA holdouts such as Verizon Wireless, who launched the first large-scale LTE network in North America in 2010''

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweden
It's is far more easy to build a network for sweden as 85% of the population live in cities with a tiny total population of 9 + million people.

So it has taken them 3 years to get to 92% as you said, just to cover 9 million people .Sadly the rest of the world is not in sweden's shoes and many countries have ether only just started there networks ( Great Britain included ) or still only offer little or no network coverage for there countries.

Most countries have much larger populations than sweden and are spread over larger expanses of land . So it will probably take 3+ minimum years from starting to get to any where near there standards.

If you live in Japan, USA , Sweden or South korea (+maybe a small number im not aware of)then LTE mite be worth it.That leaves about around 190 countries without fully developed LTE networks

Last edited by darksaber35; 11-05-2012 at 04:01 AM.
darksaber35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:18 AM   #79
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
I'd be more persuaded by the Gizmodo review if they didn't gush about nearly every new smartphone from Apple, Samsung and HTC (and every new Nexus as well).

I've looked at the specs and, truthfully, if there were a Galaxy SIII Nexus (with removable battery), I'd choose that option instantly. I'm far more interested in the Nexus 5, if that turns out to be an iteration of the HTC Butterfly.

Besides which, in order to use a current Nexus phone, I'd have to switch from my grandfathered corporate discount on Sprint to T-Mobile or Metro PCS, which would cost more and coverage might not penetrate my building (the only reason Sprint's does is because I have an Airrave).

If I can't receive calls in my own apartment, the option to travel the world and use the same phone becomes a tad less intriguing.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 11-04-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:01 PM   #80
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
I'd be more persuaded by the Gizmodo review if they didn't gush about nearly every new smartphone from Apple, Samsung and HTC (and every new Nexus as well).

I've looked at the specs and, truthfully, if there were a Galaxy SIII Nexus (with removable battery), I'd choose that option instantly. I'm far more interested in the Nexus 5, if that turns out to be an iteration of the HTC Butterfly.

Besides which, in order to use a current Nexus phone, I'd have to switch from my grandfathered corporate discount on Sprint to T-Mobile or Metro PCS, which would cost more and coverage might not penetrate my building (the only reason Sprint's does is because I have an Airrave).

If I can't receive calls in my own apartment, the option to travel the world and use the same phone becomes a tad less intriguing.
"removable battery" -
That surprises and in a way pleases me that you choose that. I sometimes have 3 extra batteries. They are cheap if you shop.

As for your own apartment, you might try that thingy that switches calls but then that might cost more too. Look into a "repeater" or "amplified antenna" like is used around heavy RF signal areas (like a NAS) or inside large buildings. I don't know what the costs differences are.
The other possibility might be switching sim cards. I trust that if you travel abroad with the same phone as home, then you have a quad band.

Even so it will cost something unless you get a better phone, better service, a building (their cost) repeater, or a passive/active antenna system (one charge.)
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:42 PM   #81
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think everyone wants the better phone -- it's the other expenses which seem unnecessary given the fact my bill's $54 for unlimited data and the Airrave's free.

I've liked the Galaxy iterations so far and didn't buy the SIII simply because I was hoping for the Nexus version. I like the idea of using an external DAC and OTG cable with the SIII as well, since the Stateside version doesn't have the Wolfson DAC which the non-LTE iterations do. (None of the S4s use the superior DAC, unfortunately and I tend to use rather high-quality headphones and amps in the office. This means that, unless there's an OTG option for external DACs like the iBasso variety, every single LTE smartphone with the possible exception of the iP5 will frustrate critical listeners. That's one reason the 920's right out at the moment -- we'll see if devs find a way to use an external DAC.)

For now, there would have to be a compelling reason for me to want the Nexus 4 and I don't see one. The Nokia 920 looks fabulous but for the fact the OS is too new -- let someone else beta-test it. I thought about the latest Photon Q because of the keyboard, but it isn't powerful enough and I expect a detailed non-fatiguing screen at this point as well. The Butterfly and the Nokia both seem to have that.

When it comes to phones, I'm an empiricist. I don't believe in being swayed by marketing, but neither will I allow it to put me off buying something I know I'll enjoy (or use the most for reasons other than aesthetic gadget bliss). The whole business of identifying human qualities with brands seems ridiculous to me -- likewise condemning brands for the same anthropomorphic reasons.

I only champion Apple when I think people are being sadistic or elitist about their preferences and making someone else miserable as a result. I personally have never bought a smartphone that lacked a removable battery or a card slot and I'd rather not start unless I have to.

Funny you should mention a NAS. The ones I've been looking at have a particular app that works with every iteration of the Galaxy S. I love the idea of streaming my media collection from home without ever touching public services like Google Drive (ad-tracked storage), Amazon Prime (with its vanilla mainstream movie library) and Spotify.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 11-04-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:14 PM   #82
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a dead as PARROT Kindle keyboard 3G,NEXUS 7 and Proud Of It
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z23wdtTWK6s

Last edited by darksaber35; 11-04-2012 at 08:30 PM.
darksaber35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:38 PM   #83
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
WTF looks like google is only selling at these prices where as LG is selling at almost double the price in other countries
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:40 PM   #84
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

I'm glad the surface of the device has no textured external logo or other design. Things tend to look more desirable under glass, and there's also something elegant about the lack of tactile/textural inflections.

LG desperately needs a better logo, though. Theirs has always looked like a sticker you'd prefer to peel off.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 11-05-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:17 AM   #85
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
WTF looks like google is only selling at these prices where as LG is selling at almost double the price in other countries
So I see the transshipping companies in the US will have a lot of extra business coming their way... Just buy it in the US and have them ship it to you.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:44 PM   #86
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
16GB is not enough. Dump 8GB and price 16GB for $299 and 32GB for $349.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:27 AM   #87
Top100EbooksRank
Banned
Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
When will Google get more Nexus 4 in?

They been sold out for weeks now.

Though you can buy them on ebay for $800.
Top100EbooksRank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:08 PM   #88
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top100EbooksRank View Post
When will Google get more Nexus 4 in?

They been sold out for weeks now.

Though you can buy them on ebay for $800.
Yes, it's disappointing that it's so hard to get. I managed to bag one on the 2nd batch in Canada, but it quickly sold out again. Google pointed the finger to LG, manufacturing issues apparently. But even if this is so hard to get, this may be a turning point for smartphones, it's hard to justify asking $600+ for a smartphone when Google can sell them for half that. I don't see myself buying anything other that Nexus devices from now on, not only you get a pure version of Android and guaranteed timely updates, but you don't need to apply for a mortgage to buy a phone.

Quote:
"Dear all, I know that what you are going through is unacceptable, and we are all working through the nights and weekends to resolve this issue," Cobley wrote. "Supplies from the manufacturer are scarce and erratic, and our communication has been flawed. I can offer an unreserved apology for our service and communication failures in this process."
Source
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:43 PM   #89
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Google pointed the finger to LG, manufacturing issues apparently.
LG's first Nexus device and they've fumbled the ball. Will they get a chance for any future devices?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:42 AM   #90
Top100EbooksRank
Banned
Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
LG's first Nexus device and they've fumbled the ball. Will they get a chance for any future devices?
Motorola Nexus next? Google does own that company. Maybe Google could go for volume and low margin strategy.

Nexus 4.2
Nexus 4.3
Nexus 4.4

(i hope they name it like that and same with a Nexus 5 too......u know a Nexus 5 will happen for 5" or bigger). Phablet are getting popular. I see people using the Note II in the wild.
Top100EbooksRank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nexus 4