Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 05-05-2012, 01:00 AM   #361
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoFriend View Post
ES File Explorer is the first app on my list so I did learn something from reading this entire thread twice.

I'm hoping my Sony T1 microUSB cord will work; anyone know?
Yes it should.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:03 AM   #362
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad Mini4, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Yes it should.
Super; more money to spend on fun things.
GeckoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:29 AM   #363
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Super; more money to spend on fun things.
And about your banking app question...

I use both. If I want to make a quick bill payment, I just click the app, click "make payment," and so forth. If I want to study my account in more detail, or set up a new payee, I use the mobile banking website -- it has more options.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:42 AM   #364
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
And about your banking app question...

I use both. If I want to make a quick bill payment, I just click the app, click "make payment," and so forth. If I want to study my account in more detail, or set up a new payee, I use the mobile banking website -- it has more options.
Thanks Betty; that makes sense.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:30 PM   #365
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
I dont use one but I would think the banking app would allow you do deposit checks using your cell phone camera phone, where you cant do that on the website (even if you own a scanner or webcam which could work just as well).
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #366
GeckoFriend
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsaguy View Post
I dont use one but I would think the banking app would allow you do deposit checks using your cell phone camera phone, where you cant do that on the website (even if you own a scanner or webcam which could work just as well).
That is probably the best use of the app but since I don't have a camera phone I probably don't need the app.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:25 PM   #367
GeckoFriend
Guru

Question Antivirus App

Do you use an antivirus app? If so, what do you recommend?
Old 05-13-2012, 02:49 AM   #368
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
can someone recommend a good note-taking app that i can use a stylus with? i was thinking of getting the stylus from Amazonbasics to take notes with. I wanted to get SomNote from the Google app store, but i can't do that on the KF, it seems. I wouldn't use Evernote because of their policies on permissions. It would be great if the app is freeware and it has syncing capabilities, but it's not a must, since i can just upload it to dropbox
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:11 AM   #369
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
antivirus for fire

Quote:
Do you use an antivirus app? If so, what do you recommend?
i use avast mobile security

http://www.avast.com/free-mobile-security
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:19 AM   #370
GeckoFriend
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsaguy View Post
i use avast mobile security

http://www.avast.com/free-mobile-security
Thanks for the recommendation; I downloaded it from the Amazon appstore.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:38 AM   #371
Tabatha
Groupie
Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KTouch-PW-WIFI Galaxy Tablet 7 Plus 32gb Galaxy Player 5.0-4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
can someone recommend a good note-taking app that i can use a stylus with? i was thinking of getting the stylus from Amazonbasics to take notes with. I wanted to get SomNote from the Google app store, but i can't do that on the KF, it seems. I wouldn't use Evernote because of their policies on permissions. It would be great if the app is freeware and it has syncing capabilities, but it's not a must, since i can just upload it to dropbox
Lots of KB members use and have recommended the Colornote app:

http://www.amazon.com/Social-Mobile-...6916289&sr=1-1

Another favorite is Go Launcher Ex:

http://www.goforandroid.com/GDTEn/soft.aspx?softid=13

I replaced the phone icon on bottom with the stock kindle launcher, then on the home page, I put the Go Launcher icon on the bottom favorites bar. Can then make your choice as the default, I use the Go as the default, but can change launchers easily this way.

Last edited by Tabatha; 05-13-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Tabatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:09 AM   #372
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Tonido.

I've only read the first 6 pages of this thread (then searched), but couldn't understand the multiple suggestions to buy Wifi Explorer Pro.

Tonido is free, and while it has the opposite client-server approach, for me, that approach has been much more useful.

You access files on your home PC from your Fire/phone. You get a permanent URL for the PC. It works anywhere on the internet. Upload, download, stream music, share files, browse photos, PDFs, Office files.

For example, I once went to lunch with friends, and needed information that was in a file on my home PC (which was running). In under a minute I had the Word file opened on my phone.

To do the ES Explorer sideload thing, you don't even need to touch your PC. Instead, upload the .apk from your phone to your PC, then go to the Fire and download the .apk from the PC.

You can install the PC server software in as many PCs as you want (I've got it in two, and thus have two different URLs).

One caveat, whenever I open Tonido on the phone/Fire, it pre-populates my last used URL and login/password credentials (maybe there was an initial setting where I selected this? But I can't find any setting to change it). So if you lose your Fire/phone, you better have Lookout or some other app to lock your phone/Fire remotely. Or maybe on the Tonido website there's a way to disable your URL(s). That "feature" is quite convenient, though, as it allows you to be within a few seconds of seeing a Windows Explorer view of your PC.

Tonido also offers to sell a NAS-like, low-power device, Tonido Plug, which you plug into your router. You can then access files on it remotely, without your PC needing to be on. I don't have one, so can't vouch for it.

What's a USB connection?
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:11 AM   #373
Eweforia
Eweforia began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire 1
Good password vault app

I've had my Kindle for 5 days now and everything I know about it I learned from this forum. As a thank you, I'd like to offer up a good password vault app that will securely store your passwords and allow you to copy/paste them on Web sites and other places that require them. The app is KeePassDroid available in the Kindle App store. There is a good review of it here, and the Help Center is here

To install,

1. Download and install version 2.16 on your computer from here. Build the list of your passwords (it will import from several other programs). Upload this database to Dropbox.

2. Install KeePassDroid version 1.5 on your Kindle via the App store.

3. On your Kindle, go to Dropbox and open the KeePass .kdbx database that you put there from your computer. It launches KeePass on your Kindle and automatically opens the database in read-only mode.

The reason for the two versions is because the Kindle only supports v.1.5. You seriously do not want to enter all of your passwords via the Kindle keyboard, so the desktop version provides the best data-entry. I'm not sure why you couldn't install v.1.5 on your desktop, though, so that the database can be used on the Kindle in non-read-only mode.

To use,

1. Open KeePass on your Kindle and scroll to the password you need. When you select it, two items are created in your Kindle's notification area at the top of the screen. One is to copy the username and the other is to copy the password.

2. Select the notification to copy the username.

3. Go to wherever you need to enter your username. Long-tap to paste the username.

4. Repeat the process to copy/paste the password.

The reviews of KeePass convinced me that this was the most secure app to handle my passwords. I hope you find it useful.
Eweforia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:14 PM   #374
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
I've only read the first 6 pages of this thread (then searched), but couldn't understand the multiple suggestions to buy Wifi Explorer Pro.

Tonido is free, and while it has the opposite client-server approach, for me, that approach has been much more useful.
There are about half a zillion ways to skin this particular cat.
I got Wifi Explorer Pro as the Free App of the day, and haven't really used it since. but apparently a lot of folks feel that something about is worth the 99 cents. Seems reasonable.

Between Dropbox, File Expert, and my own web server, my biggest problem when I want to get a file to my Fire is deciding which wireless method to use. A man with a watch always knows the time, a man with two watches is never sure
Still, nice to have choices.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:50 PM   #375
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
There are about half a zillion ways to skin this particular cat.
I got Wifi Explorer Pro as the Free App of the day, and haven't really used it since. but apparently a lot of folks feel that something about is worth the 99 cents. Seems reasonable.

Between Dropbox, File Expert, and my own web server, my biggest problem when I want to get a file to my Fire is deciding which wireless method to use. A man with a watch always knows the time, a man with two watches is never sure
Still, nice to have choices.
Agreed. I also have Wifi Explorer Pro (got it also when it was offered as the Amazon FAOTD), and have tried many of the other solutions.

I haven't used Wifi Explorer Pro either, because:
a) wi-fi only, instead of internet wide.
b) paradigm of PC as master, instead of PC as cloud.

Those are weaknesses that make me think most would prefer Tonido over Wifi Explorer Pro if they knew about it.

Other solutions that don't have those weaknesses, like Dropbox and Sugarsync and the like, typically have very nice solutions, that are better (+)/worse (-) than Tonido:
+ intermediary cloud storage (your PC or NAS doesn't have to be on)
+ auto sync
- access part of your PC (certain folders, up to ~5GB without buying a monthly subscription).

But why not complement that, i.e., add access to all the rest of the folders on your PC? At least to have in your arsenal of tools in case you need it sometime.

Two taps (Tonido app icon, Login button) and there's a Windows Explorer view of your PC.

But agreed, to each, his or her own.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote