Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-28-2008, 03:47 PM   #1
AndiR
Rather interested
AndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle, Sony Ereader, Ipad & iPhone
Am I mad......

Isn't there a business oportunity for a private company to set up a membership scheme that allows members to download books like library books for a set time?

The backend could be supported by OverDrive or some similar technology.

Why don't OverDrive do this themselves?

Thoughts / ideas?

Or am I just mad?

Perhaps, AndiR
AndiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 04:39 PM   #2
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Fictionwise does this-- they have a mobipocket based library for buywise club members.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2008, 04:40 PM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
actually i think some private companies have already thought of this scheme and implemented it. i could be wrong but i believe it's fictionwise. check the wiki for libraries ; i'm sure there's a page listing them and giving details.

edit : or just ask lemurion.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 04:46 PM   #4
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
Fictionwise does this-- they have a mobipocket based library for buywise club members.
Here's the link http://www.libwise.com/fll/
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:39 AM   #5
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
This is great! Now if it only had newer books. Here's what I would love:

Paying Amazon $3-$5 to "rent" new releases for 21 days and read on the Kindle, and then they expire. You can buy the book for the normal $9.99 price.
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2008, 03:41 AM   #6
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
I am assuming that these books in the Fictionwise library are secure mobipocket. Is it possible to remove the DRM of these books in the "usual" way?

(I'm not sure if I'm allowed to ask that question here.)
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:00 AM   #7
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabound View Post
I am assuming that these books in the Fictionwise library are secure mobipocket. Is it possible to remove the DRM of these books in the "usual" way?

(I'm not sure if I'm allowed to ask that question here.)
Since we don't talk about DRM removal except as it enables format shifting for personal use I would expect that the question shouldn't be asked and that no one will answer it.

I know I consider it a long ethical stretch from stripping DRM from a legally purchased .lit book so I can read it it on my Palm T|X.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 03:29 PM   #8
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

What would be the purpose of stripping the DRM of something you can check out at any time... would be the same thing as copying DVDs that you can check out from the library... pointless. It's always there for you.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:09 PM   #9
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
What would be the purpose of stripping the DRM of something you can check out at any time... would be the same thing as copying DVDs that you can check out from the library... pointless. It's always there for you.
To read it on another device or just because you hate a certain reader (such as Adobe Digital Editions)
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:24 PM   #10
GatorDeb
Evangelist

If you want to read it on the Kindle you can add the Kindle PID to it without breaking encryption.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:25 PM   #11
dickon25
Groupie
dickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505. Pocketbook Inkpad 840
Well....I know we shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth and all that but has anyone looked through the Fictionwise library content?? It may be just a trial but, if they don't have anything worth borrowing they're not going to get a true reflection of the demand, are they?? Very disappointing.
dickon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:15 AM   #12
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
Since we don't talk about DRM removal except as it enables format shifting for personal use I would expect that the question shouldn't be asked and that no one will answer it.
Well, that's exactly why I asked it. I have a Sony Reader and was wondering if I can borrow a book, strip the DRM and convert the format so I can read it. It's not a pointless question. I'm not a buywise member, but the library initially piqued my interest, that's why I asked the question. However, after browsing the library and realizing there's not much in it, I'm no longer interested. The selection is sorely iinadequate!
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:21 AM   #13
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickon25 View Post
Well....I know we shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth and all that but has anyone looked through the Fictionwise library content?? It may be just a trial but, if they don't have anything worth borrowing they're not going to get a true reflection of the demand, are they?? Very disappointing.
Fictionwise isn't the only one offering a library service. I found quite a few good ebooks at the North Ridge Library http://www.libwise.com/northridge/
The MobileRead Wiki has a more complete list of ebook lending librarys, many of which link into your Fictionwise account so that the ebooks borrowed show up on both bookshelves.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:45 AM   #14
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
i have a ton of ideas on how to do this, actually - i've thought about it a lot. sort of follow the rhapsody format, but using books - which will include possible upsells, too. and i have more ideas to make it more of a community and yet more ideas still. alas, it would not be cheap to set up, and would also require a number of people working on it at once most likely. and THEN it would need marketing.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 03:03 PM   #15
Robotech_Master
Fanatic
Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just looked at the Fictionwise library today. There are at least a few worthwhile books. There's the original 101 Dalmations young adult novel by Dodie Smith, for one, and the Borders of Infinity Vorkosigan novel (or is it the novella? I didn't check beyond seeing the title) by Bujold for another. I downloaded the 101 Dalmations one to try it out.

Note that you do have to be a member of their "Buywise" club to do so at this point, while it's still in beta.
Robotech_Master is offline   Reply With Quote