Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-11-2012, 02:16 PM   #466
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks for the review and pics, Psykhe. I'm glad you're happy with it.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:32 PM   #467
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykhe View Post
So lets do some Photoshop magic. Yes, there is definitely a light green discoloration without ambient light.
It's not because the green light is faulty, btw (that one is pretty uniform), but because red and blue light have an "hole" there.
Thanks, this was really interesting.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2012, 05:15 PM   #468
neonbible
Addict
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone 5, iPad Air, Nexus 7
Is it possible to have the chapter bar at the bottom of the screen (like on K3) instead of the time remaining, because seriously thats kind of stupid.
neonbible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:11 PM   #469
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
I give up; "Hole-y Mole-y" is going back to Amazon. I'll wait for next year's version, I guess. I hope no one gets Hole-y Mole-y as a refurb.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:13 PM   #470
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
I thank every one of you for the photos and appointments. A friend is in Paraguay and is going to bring one Paperwhite for me. By showing that knowledge of yours to my friend, now I have more chances of getting a good unit.
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2012, 08:29 PM   #471
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Thank you for your analysis, psykhe!
I read a lot in almost or complete darkness, so maybe that's exactly the point. Users who read in a well lit room will see less of an issue with their screen than users who read in the dark.
I'll load my pics to PS this weekend and see what I get.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:45 PM   #472
elvisbrown
elvisbrown began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Kindle Paperwhite Review

I got mine the other day, I live in NZ and had it imported because Amazon won't sell them here yet. No worries, its still the same beast.

Before this I've had a K3KB3G since they came out and I love that one. One of my best experiences with this one was being on a train from Vienna to Prague, buying an English newspaper and reading it less than 3 minutes later. I've travelled in several countries where English is not the first language or even part of the picture and I really congratulated myself on buying the 3G model. I use an Energizer Book Light (http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-FN2B.../dp/B00081K4CK) I've tried heaps of lights on the K3 and this is by far the best.

I also previously bought a K4 touchscreen but gave it away a week later, the less said about that model the better!

Now, to the PW...Initially I had lots of problems getting anything to show on it. I downloaded some books I had previously bought from Amazon and yet my home screen remained empty. I searched for the author name of one of the downloaded books and I'd get that but I also got a list of unindexed books? wtf?

So I did a Reset then tried manually loading books with the exact same result.

I did another Reset then I tried the Send To Kindle thing and emailed myself a book and that worked!.

Once I had one on the home screen it appeared that I could load others either manuallly or from the cloud and they all appeared instantly. Since then all is fine. I think I went through about 4 Resets before it worked properly. I must admit I was almost ready to send it back.

I did a daylight comparison between my K3 and my PW (light off) and saw no noticeable difference at all. I tried going out into the bright sunshine and they were identical. It was only with the PW with the light on that I saw any difference. Make of that what you will and try for yourself when you get yours.

The touchscreen on the PW is brilliant, especially when compared to the K4. It is precise and responsive. The menu system is easy to navigate and I had no problems but I don't know what this would be like for someone new to Kindles.

I read a book that night and then I really appreciated the light. I found to my surprise that I turned the light down real low and found it very easy to read. You could certainly lay beside someone else without disturbing them. I could instantly see why the light is a big deal. If you never read at night then you'll never see what the fuss is about.

I could see what people were talking about with the light being not "exactly" even across the screen but once you actually read it is not noticeable and if it is then you need to read better books

One last thing, I bought the Ad supported model and I'd really recommend anyone to NOT do that, the ads take up a lot of the screen space. I also read of someone who later paid the extra dollars and had the ads removed but they said it still shows recommendations across the bottom of the screen(?). If you can afford to then don't go there.

Overall, I quite like it. Will I switch from my trusty K3? I'm not sure yet.
elvisbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:56 PM   #473
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Elvisbrown, the suggested reads (second row of covers on the home screen) appear on both SO and non SO versions. You can disable the kindle store through the parental controls function, then you can see only your covers on the home screen. In additin to that, you see a narrow banner with ads on the SO version, but that's only about a 6th of the screen, and of course ads on the lock-screen.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:15 AM   #474
elvisbrown
elvisbrown began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Simply brilliant

Thanks for the tip about parental controls
elvisbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:51 AM   #475
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisbrown View Post
Thanks for the tip about parental controls
*sigh* if only everything else were so easily fixable...
Old 10-12-2012, 08:26 AM   #476
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
I am just *so* undecided about getting a PW now that it is available in the UK (have pre-ordered just in case ) I really like the idea of it but on the other hand, my K3 is only 2 year old and is fine still (touch wood and all that). Can't help thinking that by the next iteration of the PW Amazon will probably have improved the lighting in some way and it will then really be a worthy upgrade. The reports of dodgy screens is kind of off-putting though obviously there are some good units out there too! I'm also slightly annoyed with the reduced storage on all the new models but I guess that's something I'll have to put up with eventually.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:39 PM   #477
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonbible View Post
Is it possible to have the chapter bar at the bottom of the screen (like on K3) instead of the time remaining, because seriously thats kind of stupid.
I dunno, I found the time remaining to be quite useful last night. I wanted to go to sleep, but seeing that I only have 15 minutes remaining in the book was a big help in deciding to just finish it. Otherwise it'd be at 99% having no idea whether that meant an hour or just minutes.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:46 PM   #478
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Downside of parental controls

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Elvisbrown, the suggested reads (second row of covers on the home screen) appear on both SO and non SO versions. You can disable the kindle store through the parental controls function, then you can see only your covers on the home screen. In additin to that, you see a narrow banner with ads on the SO version, but that's only about a 6th of the screen, and of course ads on the lock-screen.
If you use parental controls, you cannot deregister your PW and you cannot reset it.

That could be a big problem in the future. Thus, after using parental controls for a day I decided to disable them.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #479
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
If you use parental controls, you cannot deregister your PW and you cannot reset it.

That could be a big problem in the future. Thus, after using parental controls for a day I decided to disable them.
I liked those options [no reset/deregister] on the K3, but don't see them on the KPW. Do they come automatically with parental controls on the KPW?
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:09 PM   #480
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post

I set my password as "1" and can switch between parental or not. I don't typically deregister a device I use (other than the mess that is going on now), but with the controls on, you can't use the shop from the device. Meh, no biggie. I use my iPad for that anyway.