Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-17-2010, 12:47 PM   #1
mvitulli
mvitulli began at the beginning.

Device: nook
New WiFi Nook Can't Connect to Airport

I bought a WiFi Nook last week and registered it and purchased my first book in the B&N store. No problems yet. I have been trying to connect to our home wireless network, which is run by an old Airport base station that is WEP protected. The Nook recognized the network as having an excellent signal. But it won't accept my password, which is a 5 character ASCII password. I know the password is correct. In my house an iMac, a MacBook Pro, a MacBook, and an old iBook all connect to the internet via the Airport base station.

I am getting pretty frustrated. Didn't see anything on the Boards that I thought would work. Advice please.
mvitulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:16 PM   #2
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Have you tried a reset of the Airport?
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2010, 04:32 PM   #3
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
The Nook does not suport WEP with shared key authentication, only open system authentication (which in spite of the name is actually safer).
So check if your Aiport WEP authentication is set to shared or open. Only open will work with the Nook.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:14 PM   #4
mvitulli

Thanks for the feedback

Thanks to everyone who responded to my post.

We're using a very old Airport base station and from what I can gather it might not be compatible with the Nook with the WEP that we are using. I am not the Airport administrator and we can't risk having our router go down right now. My solution was to return the WiFi Nook and buy at WiFi + 3G Nook. So I circumvented the problem. When we upgrade the Airport Base Station I'll probably be able to use the WiFi connection from home.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:25 PM   #5
briangockley
briangockley began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Pre
Same Airport problem, but working now

In my case, it was not that it doesn't work with WEP, it was that it auto-misidentified the network as WPA2, and then failed to connect. Once I went to the bottom of the list and chose "Install Manually" and then went through selecting WEP, all was well. Is that helpful?
briangockley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2010, 06:49 PM   #6
mvitulli

I manually chose WEP

and still had problems. I tried to let Nook automatically configure the password type and also manually entered the type (ASCII). Nothing worked.