Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-14-2016, 09:22 PM   #1
ASTRONAUTA
ASTRONAUTA began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
Question to add books to check if the version already in the library

Hi, I'm downloading some books from a site to download to my pc the file name of the book is so, for example: Freud, Sigmund - Applied Psychoanalysis and Technical Psychoanalytic [28025] (r1.0), I want to make is that Calibre by adding the books, which reconnoitre if there is already a version equal to or greater in my library, then do not add it, I can think for example tells me that there is a duplicate, but does not tell me if it is a version less than, equal to or greater than they already have in my library, how could you do this, there are some plugin that I'm missing? or a regular expression?
ASTRONAUTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 01:07 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
calibre can only check for duplicates with the same name.

calibre has no concept of "versions" of a book, though you can trick it by appending a version to the title or by using a custom column.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 01:29 AM   #3
ASTRONAUTA
ASTRONAUTA began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
calibre can only check for duplicates with the same name.

calibre has no concept of "versions" of a book, though you can trick it by appending a version to the title or by using a custom column.

I understand what you say, but in the name of the file where it says "(r1.0)" is the version of the book, then you could compare with the same book as this in my library, and already has a column the version.
ASTRONAUTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 12:01 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTRONAUTA View Post
I understand what you say, but in the name of the file where it says "(r1.0)" is the version of the book, then you could compare with the same book as this in my library, and already has a column the version.
Calibre checks the LIBRARY (list) Title name, not the filename
Calibre Sort columns also ignore the whole paren. Joe Smith (ed) become just Joe Smith in the Sort column

Last edited by theducks; 07-15-2016 at 02:09 PM. Reason: wrong )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 01:22 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTRONAUTA View Post
No, because that isn't the "name", it is ancillary (custom) metadata.

I can't remember offhand whether it checks the author in addition to title, but a custom "version" column most certainly doesn't qualify as a "name", and I also promise you that the calibre developer will not be persuaded to check even other builtin columns, let alone custom columns.

Also, filename is irrelevant. By default, calibre derives metadata from the embedded metadata, NOT the filename. You can change that in preferences, but calibre doesn't support deriving custom columns from the filename anyway.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:56 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
. . . I can't remember offhand whether it checks the author in addition to title . . .
I often get duplicate warnings when adding to my media library when 'title' is same, but the 'author' is different, which suggests it doesn't check authors. The message contains the author names of the existing 'duplicate books'.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adding books, calibre, version