Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-16-2012, 02:56 PM   #1
vitalisam
vitalisam began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
Question Why updates are coming so often?

Hello,
just out of curiosity - why updates of Calibre do come so often? I have feelings that every time when I start Calibre (e.g. once in ~3 - 5 days) there is a message about new version available

However I can survive, because IMHO Calibre is a best free solution for the book management/conversion.
vitalisam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:55 PM   #2
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalisam View Post
Hello,
just out of curiosity - why updates of Calibre do come so often? I have feelings that every time when I start Calibre (e.g. once in ~3 - 5 days) there is a message about new version available

However I can survive, because IMHO Calibre is a best free solution for the book management/conversion.
Software that is in active development is actually a good thing.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:05 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Moved
Moderator Notice
Please read the sticky before posting in Development. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122042

Are you willing to tell the manufacturers to stop releasing New Devices and/or firmware so frequently?
Tell News or Metadata sources to stop changing their pages?

New or improved features are just a small (but not insignificant) part of what is in those releases.
Check the Whats New list. You don't need to update every time.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:22 PM   #4
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It's just the developer's style! He prefers to fix bugs and make improvements one-at-a-time and send them straight out, also to update ebook download sources and device definitions in this way, rather than using downloadable configuration files. It's OK.
exaltedwombat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:11 PM   #5
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Yes, the constant updating shows that the project is constantly being worked on and improved. You can't beat that, especially for free.

And just because there's an update, it doesn't mean you need to download and update Calibre every week. Personally I only bother every so often, when there's a new feature added that I could use or a major version change.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:36 PM   #6
SquiddOhio
Connoisseur
SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.

Device: Kindle Touch
I tend to get an update almost every time, but I have a lot of time on my hands, and it downloads and installs very quickly on my machine.
I have helped friends with Calibre, and have noticed almost no updating. One friend has had a Kindle PW for several weeks, at least, and when I went to make some configuration changes, I saw that his version was older than the PW.
For many users who do not tap the wonderful potential and versatility of the program, updating is not too important, but I certainly appreciate the ongoing development and availability of the updates, and suggest that updating not be postponed for long intervals.
SquiddOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:24 AM   #7
ndixon
Mostly Harmless
ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, Nook Simple Touch
Thumbs up

Calibre gets updated every week, usually on a Friday (Nov 23, Nov 30, Dec 7, Dec 14, ...) and quite honestly, I'm astonished at the amount of work that's going into it week after week.

I often ignore some of the updates and just upgrade about once a month.

Even when sometimes it's just changes to the build system (64-bit version) or news sources, it's great to know that Calibre is still being actively developed. I don't know how Kovid finds the time.
ndixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:02 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre has been released once a week (every Friday) for the last several years. My philosophy is that people should not have to wait for bug fixes or features unnecessarily.

There is no need to update every week. If you are happy with how calibre is working, just turn off the update popup (there is a checkbox on the popup to do so) and be on your merry way. If you ever get a new device or notice a bug or are bored, update
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:35 AM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
calibre has been released once a week (every Friday) for the last several years. My philosophy is that people should not have to wait for bug fixes or features unnecessarily.

There is no need to update every week. If you are happy with how calibre is working, just turn off the update popup (there is a checkbox on the popup to do so) and be on your merry way. If you ever get a new device or notice a bug or are bored, update
I once in a while (every three to six months) check what the updates were and then decide I'll update or not. I went from 0.8.3 to 0.9.7 or something. And on my server I was still running a version 0.7. That's one thing I really like: the database itself doesn't care about what version you're using.... (I use three PC's which might not have the same version of Calibre, with the exact same library)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:57 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
That's one thing I really like: the database itself doesn't care about what version you're using....

That statement is not always true.

There are updates that make changes to the DB structure (there is an install script that restructures the DB when this happens).

Using an older version of Calibre to change metadata may just not have the ability to populate/change those newer fields (custom columns ability was one such DB add) , resulting in a loss of data (to the newer versions).

I really don't think running V7, 8 and 9 on the same DB is a really good idea.
Pick a level and use that one on all.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:44 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
That statement is not always true.

There are updates that make changes to the DB structure (there is an install script that restructures the DB when this happens).

Using an older version of Calibre to change metadata may just not have the ability to populate/change those newer fields (custom columns ability was one such DB add) , resulting in a loss of data (to the newer versions).

I really don't think running V7, 8 and 9 on the same DB is a really good idea.
Pick a level and use that one on all.
It does depend on the changes, I agree. But I was running an early 0.7 as server and a late 0.8 on my laptop without problems... No major DB changes inbetween. But especially that server doesn't get upgraded very often...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:53 PM   #12
Matth79
Zealot
Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
You can skip a few, don't want to get too out of date, but I usually check the changes to see if there is anything that makes a difference to what I'm doing.
Matth79 is offline   Reply With Quote