Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-04-2008, 12:36 PM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Email to Amazon CS re: File Management

I admit I've been part of the crowd complaining about the lack of useful file management on the Kindle but I've never contacted Amazon about it. Today, I did. I'll post any follow-up messages I receive.

Quote:
The Kindle Discussion Forum as well as the Kindle Forum at MobileRead are full of posts asking for file management support. If the person reading this is a Kindle owner, I'm sure you've noticed how unwieldy content becomes on the Kindle, no matter how you sort the home page, once you get past 2 or 3 pages of content.

We need the ability to organize content into folders by author, genre, read or unread, or any other option the individual reader chooses.

So my question is, when will some kind of file management become available? Are there any software updates coming that would be helpful?

Thanks! (BTW, I do love my Kindle!)
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 03:02 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The reply:

Quote:
Greetings from Amazon.com.

Thank you for sending us your comments about managing your Kindle content.

While I'm not aware of an update that addresses this situation, it is very important for us to hear about your experience using Kindle. Strong customer feedback like yours helps us continue to improve the service we provide, and we appreciate the time you took to write to us. I've passed your feedback along to the Kindle team.

Thank you for your interest in Amazon Kindle.

Please let us know if this e-mail resolved your question
Old 07-08-2008, 01:01 AM   #3
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Translation, Unless we get a bajillion emails on this there is no hurry to address it.
At least you got a reply, I have emailed Sony about 6 times on an issue and have not heard zip.

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:34 AM   #4
SeaWolf
Connoisseur
SeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileRead

Device: Kindle Paperwhite WiFi
You see this issue in all kinds of embedded devices. My phone has this exact problem with its gallery. There's just no way to effectively organise it. You have to scroll through every picture in there to find the one you want. It's like there is an assumption that you'll never store much, so there's no need to sort it. Yet they provide gigabytes of storage through SD slots!
SeaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:37 AM   #5
MoSo
Crankier than average
MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle #1, Kindle #2; internet appliance - The Chumby.
"No one will ever need more than 640K of memory."
MoSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:23 PM   #6
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Got the same result when I emailed them. From the forums that I've monitored, I think that they are getting hundreds of the same request. Let's hope that in time they will do something about it.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:24 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoSo View Post
"No one will ever need more than 640K of memory."
FUD: No one ever said that. It's an urban myth.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:55 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post
Translation, Unless we get a bajillion emails on this there is no hurry to address it.
At least you got a reply, I have emailed Sony about 6 times on an issue and have not heard zip.

JJ
At last count, I believe we were in the half bajillion request territory. Just one more half to go! Woo Hoo!
Old 07-08-2008, 03:04 PM   #9
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Desperate Trick for File Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
The reply:
I've resorted to adding a numeric to the beginning of my book titles with mobi2mobi to have at least a bit of order to my books on the Kindle. That's how desperate I've become now that I've up around 100 uncategorized books on my kindle.

cheers
Old 07-09-2008, 11:44 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
I've resorted to adding a numeric to the beginning of my book titles with mobi2mobi to have at least a bit of order to my books on the Kindle. That's how desperate I've become now that I've up around 100 uncategorized books on my kindle.

cheers
That's a great idea Leep! I've been thinking about your post and think I'm going to try a code that will let me sort my books in various groupings:

Ref: Title (for reference books)
Ser1-?: Title (for books that are part of a series which will be numbered in sequence... have to think a bit more about how to differentiate one series from another... maybe including the author's initials or last name)
Free: Title (free books no matter what genre)

While I learn how to use mobi2mobi, I'll keep thinking about it. Will mobi2mobi change AZW file titles?

Thanks again for the suggestion.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:59 PM   #11
Leep
Guru

yep - mobi2mobi works great on azw files. An example for what you're suggesting would be: mobi2mobi currentfilename.azw --outfile same file name if you wish(just be sure and put file names in "" if they contain spaces) --title "ref book title". Your mobi2mobi.exe file should be in the same directory as the books you want to rename unless you add a path for mobi to your system file. The only nice thing about using numerics in the title is that they sort first. I use 1 for library books and 2 for Kindle store books, 3 for free books, 4 mobileread books, etc. Then I can use alt+numeric to go to the beginning of that section.

cheers
Old 07-10-2008, 12:08 AM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
yep - mobi2mobi works great on azw files. An example for what you're suggesting would be: mobi2mobi currentfilename.azw --outfile same file name if you wish(just be sure and put file names in "" if they contain spaces) --title "ref book title". Your mobi2mobi.exe file should be in the same directory as the books you want to rename unless you add a path for mobi to your system file. The only nice thing about using numerics in the title is that they sort first. I use 1 for library books and 2 for Kindle store books, 3 for free books, 4 mobileread books, etc. Then I can use alt+numeric to go to the beginning of that section.

cheers
Ohhhh, gottcha. I was thinking you were numbering your books 1-100. Your idea is much better than mine.

Thanks for the mobi2mobi hints. I'll backup my files (again) and practice on some of the freebies first.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:47 AM   #13
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Ohhhh, gottcha. I was thinking you were numbering your books 1-100. Your idea is much better than mine.

Thanks for the mobi2mobi hints. I'll backup my files (again) and practice on some of the freebies first.
It seems that mob2mobi works well but always save the original file since mobi2mobi was written by guessing the format...
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:48 AM   #14
Leep
Guru

Thanks for taking care of us novices, Tommy. It appears that I had a corrupted download the first time I tried to run Mobi2mobi, but once I redownloaded and solved that, your program is wonderful. Still haven't gotten the GUI version to work however. When I get time I'm going to try and install it on my PC (currently I only have it on my laptop) and see if I can get it to work.

cheers