Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: What team will win the Cup?
Portugal 5 6.02%
England 4 4.82%
Italy 2 2.41%
Netherlands 4 4.82%
Spain 11 13.25%
Germany 15 18.07%
Slovenia 2 2.41%
France 2 2.41%
Greece 0 0%
Switzerland 1 1.20%
Serbia 1 1.20%
Slovakia 0 0%
Brazil 6 7.23%
Argentinia 5 6.02%
Chile 0 0%
Paraguay 0 0%
Mexico 2 2.41%
USA 6 7.23%
Honduras 0 0%
South Africa 0 0%
Algeria 0 0%
Ivory Coast 0 0%
Ghana 1 1.20%
Cameroon 0 0%
Australia 3 3.61%
Japan 2 2.41%
North Korea 1 1.20%
South Korea 1 1.20%
New Zealand 2 2.41%
none of the above 7 8.43%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-08-2010, 06:38 AM   #661
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenne View Post
Unfortunately yes, VR. Hm, lemme think...

Attachment 54748Attachment 54749
Gee, thanks, ravenne! You always have the coolest things in your wardrobe. I'd love to wear both but I have to bow to my many Dutch friends who would be disappointed if I didn't root for ORANJE!!!
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:59 AM   #662
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Well, the answer to the poll is now clear: the travel agencies have won. Big time.

As soon as 1 seat in a plane is free, 10 people will knock each other out to get it... Last I heard, there was a waiting list for 10.000 people who wanted to go to South Africa. And there already are a lot of extra planes going that way... One of the major travel agencies and KLM are talking about air lifts...

Prices vary between €2000 and €2500. If you manage to get a ticket.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2010, 01:46 PM   #663
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Well, it's just been confirmed that England will be in the World Cup Final. The referee that is. Howard Webb of England will be the referee for the final.

So much better than just having some footballers there
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:09 PM   #664
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Especially for the fact that Webb is detested... What a vengeance!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:06 PM   #665
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I reckon Webb is an ok ref.
But, in the UK (where he refs most of the time), we have some BBC radio commentators whose main schtick is to always have a go at the officials - mainly because they're rubbish at commentating on the game (anyone who's had to endure an Alan Green broadcast will know what I mean - I've avoided that particular sporting shock-jock this World Cup, and enjoyed it much more as a result. )

I may have to pay Green's wages (thanks to the licence fee) but that doesn't mean I have to listen to the bloke.

Last edited by Sparrow; 07-08-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2010, 03:09 PM   #666
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
I don't know about other countries, but the national sport in Spain, aside of football, is criticising football referees. Not that they don't do their best (their worst, more precisely) to fuel up the fire... Referees are of poor quality because they're unprofessional in most countries, and they remain unaided by technology, unlike in other mass sports.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:28 PM   #667
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think refs have a hard time from the media. They analyse their performance using super slow-mo replays and criticise anything they possibly can. They seem to forget that the ref has to make the decisions in real time at real speed (and don't forget that the players are always out to con the ref as well).

My favourite piece of criticism was from Andy Gray. The referee made a contentious decision which, after reviewing post-match with the aid of slow-mo etc, was proven to be absolutely correct. Andy Gray complained that he couldn't understand how the referee had come to that decision! Apparently, not only does the referee have to make the right decision, he has to do it in a way which is wholly explicable to Andy Gray!

I agree with you, Sparrow, about Alan Green, although he is no where near as annoying as Mark Lawrenson (IMHO). His favourite trick is to baldly state something like, "That was a foul" and then when the replay clearly shows he was wrong he just says, "Yes" as if it confirms what he said rather than proving the exact opposite. Honestly, how I've managed to not put my foot through the TV when he's commentating is beyond me

Last edited by Bilbo1967; 07-08-2010 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:50 PM   #668
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I reckon Webb is an ok ref.
But, in the UK (where he refs most of the time), we have some BBC radio commentators whose main schtick is to always have a go at the officials - mainly because they're rubbish at commentating on the game (anyone who's had to endure an Alan Green broadcast will know what I mean - I've avoided that particular sporting shock-jock this World Cup, and enjoyed it much more as a result. )

I may have to pay Green's wages (thanks to the licence fee) but that doesn't mean I have to listen to the bloke.
Are BBC commentators the same we get on Setanta over here?

My favorite is John Helm. Always accurate, lenient and humorous also. I just hope he makes the final. When he's there it doubles the pleasure...
Old 07-08-2010, 03:54 PM   #669
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
I agree with you, Sparrow, about Alan Green, although he is no where near as annoying as Mark Lawrenson (IMHO). His favourite trick is to baldly state something like, "That was a foul" and then when the replay clearly shows he was wrong he just says, "Yes" as if it confirms what he said rather than proving the exact opposite. Honestly, how I've managed to not put my foot through the TV when he's commentating is beyond me
Thank God that beer slows down reflexes...
Old 07-08-2010, 04:04 PM   #670
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Thank God that beer slows down reflexes...

Very true!
Old 07-10-2010, 07:50 AM   #671
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

For those who like to see goals galore, this is it!

According to statistics of the World Cup, the final for third place is the game that brings the most goals. Germany's record so far has me believing that this will be a great game!
Old 07-10-2010, 09:02 AM   #672
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
The two surprise teams. Quite nice to watch also.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:10 AM   #673
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
For those who like to see goals galore, this is it!

According to statistics of the World Cup, the final for third place is the game that brings the most goals. Germany's record so far has me believing that this will be a great game!
It is so because both teams want to win a small prize: in case you win, it just brings a little bronze medal home; in case you don't, noone bothers to complain. Thus, you can allow yourself a happier way of playing than if you are playing for the WC.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:24 PM   #674
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Well, the octopus was right. And so were stats, 5 goals.

Congratulations to Germany for third place. Bringing hardware is better than none...
Old 07-10-2010, 04:43 PM   #675
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Yay!!! 3rd place!
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifa world cup. soccer, vote usa!!!