Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-19-2011, 02:55 PM   #1
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
For those who do frequent review blogs....

I know many people on here don't even read reviews, which is fine. In all honesty, I'm not a big review reader unless I'm considering a specific book, or I want to see a reviewer's writing style. So I do read reviews, but not as a hobby.

For those of you who do frequent review blogs, what exactly are you looking for? After I sort of stumbled into the whole review-writing world, I started checking out other review blogs. I realize I don't operate quite the same way as most of the more popular ones. Many review blogs are light on the reviews (and the reviews they do write are sometimes really "fluffy") and heavy on the personal commentary about life in general, and especially with regards to all things books- books they are anxious to read, the character's lives in the books (and who they would cast to play those characters), author interviews, book giveaways... then there are the networking opportunities - blog hops, you be my follower, I'll be yours, etc.

I don't know that I have the time of energy for all that "extra" stuff. I participate in a few things here and there, and I do like doing giveaways, but there truly is a limit to my time! I think other reviewers do better upkeep on their blogs- networking, visiting other blogs, doing a post a day (or more!), when I'm really more focused on the actual books and my thoughts about them. I think that makes my blog perhaps less interesting to the casual reader, and less interactive. It's more of a service, maybe? Plus, I'm reviewing indie books that are likely new to the typical reader, so the familiarity factor isn't necessary there.

So I'm curious, what are your thoughts about book review blogs (if you read them-- I don't need another post about all the reasons you *don't* read reviews, I got that down)? What do you like to see? What don't you like to see?
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 05:22 PM   #2
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
When it comes to review blogs on books themselves, I'd prefer to read some where the writer has some similar likes/dislikes as me. I also need to get into the blogger's writing style, if that makes sense. The biggest hurdle I have with that is actually having to read through multiple reviews to get a feel for whether I would take their opinion with more than a grain of salt.

Another thing I like to find in reviews is a lack of spoilers. If I wanted to know what happened in a book without reading it, I'd find the cliff-notes version. If the reviewer/blogger can get their point across without ruining the story itself, I greatly value it.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2011, 05:31 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I like to see comments about whether the book is technically well-written or not, and whether it shows signs of having been professionally edited, or is full of grammatical errors. I don't care how good the story is: if the author can't be bothered to get the grammar and spelling correct, then I'm not going to waste my time reading it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:26 PM   #4
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I like to see comments about whether the book is technically well-written or not, and whether it shows signs of having been professionally edited, or is full of grammatical errors. I don't care how good the story is: if the author can't be bothered to get the grammar and spelling correct, then I'm not going to waste my time reading it.
same here.

i think it's a shame when an author has a very nice plot going but it's ruined because they didn't bother having it edited or even getting a beta.
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:19 AM   #5
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
To be honest, I prefer a review site to be packed with reviews. I'm not really sure I care that much about someone day-dreaming about what it would like to be a muggle lost in Hogwarts or which author is attending a signing that weekend.

If I go to a review site, I do so because there is a review of a book and I want to see what someone thinks about that book, especially if that person is a good reviewer.

In terms of review, I want only the briefest overview of storyline as I can get most of that detail from the book itself.

I do like feedback on the quality of the editing at least as far as....
1) There are no errors and the book is well edited
2) There are some small errors here and there but they didn't interrupt enjoyment
3) The book should have spent longer in editing because the problems are noticeable and hamper enjoyment of the book
4) The book is a complete mess and shouldn't be considered by anyone that doesn't want a thumping headache by the end of the first page.

This also relates to editing, but plots that make absolutely no sense or characters that have no consistency are things that mean quite a bit to me. The plot either has flaws even within the internal logic of the story itself or are paced so inconsistently that you can't remain interested. The characters seem to obey no particular logic and oscillate between all sorts of extreme and unexplained behaviour etc... All good things to know in advance.

I find even when the grammar and spelling is up to par, this next set of problems can really turn me off and if it's clear to a previous reviewer, I would certainly like a warning.

That said, I also really want to hear the reviewers opinion as well - not just a technical breakdown of a book from an editor's perspective.

Anyway - haven't looked at your site for a while, so I'll see what you've been writing about recently.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2011, 07:22 AM   #6
hols57
hols57
hols57 began at the beginning.

Device: sony 300packed up -thanks,Sony!) Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Absolutely! I've just finished wasting my time on a pb which really had me seething because it was so badly written and there were grammatical errors aplenty. Maybe it's just me, but I hate that sort of thing! People writing 'you' when they mean 'your' (as in 'make you mind up' - grrrr!)
hols57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:29 AM   #7
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by hols57 View Post
Absolutely! I've just finished wasting my time on a pb which really had me seething because it was so badly written and there were grammatical errors aplenty. Maybe it's just me, but I hate that sort of thing! People writing 'you' when they mean 'your' (as in 'make you mind up' - grrrr!)
or 'their' when they mean 'there', or 'loose' when they mean 'lose'
or 'your' when they mean 'you're' or 'bust' when they should have used 'burst'
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:37 AM   #8
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
What HarryT said.

Too often a 'good' story is ruined by the grammar/format etc...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:25 PM   #9
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Ditto what HarryT said ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
'loose' when they mean 'lose'
This has to be the single most common typo I come across in indie ebooks and blogs alike.
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:52 AM   #10
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
This is veering a bit off-topic, but one of the biggest things I've noticed about independent authors and buying outside of my Australian publisher comfort zone is the amount of American English in books.

That sounds rather stupid to someone used to reading American English, but I'm not. I'm guessing American English gets converted into Australian English by Australian publishers.

Especially when I'm reading books from indie authors it's frustrating because I like to note down errors and send corrections to the author afterwards and I find I have to use Google to find out if the issue is even an issue in American English.

Drives me crazy.

OK, it's not a problem as such - just a self-adjustment I need to make, but I thought I'd mention it.

Regards
Caleb

Last edited by caleb72; 03-22-2011 at 02:42 AM. Reason: Correcting my own stupid typo.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:29 AM   #11
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
So I'm curious, what are your thoughts about book review blogs (if you read them-- I don't need another post about all the reasons you *don't* read reviews, I got that down)? What do you like to see? What don't you like to see?

GraceKrispy, this is perhaps the least helpful answer, but I was just visiting your blog and I like the way you're reviewing books.

I'm personally most interested in the topic of a book, in the logic of the book, if the plot makes sense, how the acting persons are characterised, if these characters are consistent, if the book catches up, and an evaluation of the writing style/skills of the author.

And I really appreciate the personal feelings of the reviewer, if he liked it or not, if she/he is caught up by the book, was feeling with the hero, or if the book was boring... I know that this may be completely opposite to my impression of the book, but I would like to read such things nevertheless.

Do you review every book you get - regardless of it's quality - or is it a kind of praise for the book if it is reviewed on your blog?
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:06 AM   #12
Just4kix
Zealot
Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The most rewarding thing a reader can do is find a reviewer with a similar taste in books, and who gives an honest review. It's the same as having a good friend who knows instinctively what books you like.
I worked in a charity bookshop for 12 years cleaning and pricing books, so ended up buying shelves of books. The girl I worked with commented that if she was housebound I would be the only person who could go to the library and choose a book for her!
Just4kix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:13 AM   #13
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just4kix View Post
The most rewarding thing a reader can do is find a reviewer with a similar taste in books, and who gives an honest review. It's the same as having a good friend who knows instinctively what books you like.
I feel this way about a particular reviewer on Amazon. I've never had any interaction with her, but I've bought more than 20 books from Amazon based just on her reviews and I haven't been disappointed yet
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:17 AM   #14
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Thanks for all the thoughtful replies. Badly edited books are a huge pet peeve of mine. I definitely note that in the review, almost always giving specific examples. I find the "your/you're" and "their/they're/there" are some of the most common errors I see, along with comma neglect/abuse and poorly formatted sentences (fragments/run-ons). I also dislike reviews that give me a play-by-play of the book, and especially get frustrated with spoilers.

Caleb- I know what you mean about the differences in spelling and such with US/AU/UK. I tend to really enjoy reading books that are written from a different language point of view, but some things throw me off (most notably, single quotes for speaking).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
GraceKrispy, this is perhaps the least helpful answer, but I was just visiting your blog and I like the way you're reviewing books.
*SNIP*
Do you review every book you get - regardless of it's quality - or is it a kind of praise for the book if it is reviewed on your blog?
Thanks, that's very kind!

I have pretty eclectic tastes, so I am willing to try most books sent to me directly by authors. If they have put time and effort into writing and marketing the book, and it sounds remotely interesting, I'll give it a shot. I have been pleasantly surprised several times. I have turned down a number of review requests, however. If I truly feel I won't get into the book, or the request email was riddled with the type of errors we are discussing on this thread, then I politely decline.

If I read the book, I review it. Some books have gotten 1.5-2 stars on my blog. I don't ascribe to the concept of only reviewing books I rated highly; I feel that's doing a disservice to the reader as well as the author.

If generic queries are sent via a publisher, I tend to only request a review copy if it *really* interests me.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote