Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-27-2010, 11:09 AM   #31
Mike 01Hawk
Enthusiast
Mike 01Hawk doesn't litterMike 01Hawk doesn't litter

Device: K3 Wifi Graphite :)
The less than stellar contrast I saw on the K2 I had for a couple weeks. Was not impressed at all at the lack of "pop" and the graininess.
Mike 01Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:33 PM   #32
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I have been reading kindle ebooks and mobi ebooks on kindle for pc on my netbook for all of this year. I have come to love how easy it is to get ebooks from Amazon. And I have been monitoring the new K3 and reading what I could about it. So the price of the K3 wifi and the fact that I could get wifi only finally made my mind up.
I do not mind reading on my netbook. But there are lots of time that it would be much nicer to have the ebook reader and not take my netbook with me. So I finally made the decision to get the K3 Wifi.

Chuck
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2010, 01:08 PM   #33
hdsport82
hdsport82 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Graphite Wi-Fi
For me,

1.) Price
2.) New graphite design
3.) Pearl E-Ink Screen
4.) UK Store
hdsport82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:11 PM   #34
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I got my original K1 the day after it launched. What convinced me at the time was a combination of the reader itself and the store. I had been wanting an e-ink reader ever since I saw the Sony PRS-500, but I just couldn't justify buying a device that only displayed pages. I wanted to at least have search and dictionary lookup, if not annotation. Amazon came along with a reader that had all three. Along with that, they had a huge selection of books compared to other stores and the prices were drastically lower.

Three years later, I'm still a very happy Amazon customer and they have a better screen in a case that I much prefer to the original or the K2. They have a bunch of improved software features, too. My K1 still works, but the battery life has diminished a bit and the right side button doesn't work so well any more. *glares at cat* It's about half the price I paid first time around, too.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 02:02 PM   #35
Mintaka
Mintaka is no ebook tyro.Mintaka is no ebook tyro.Mintaka is no ebook tyro.Mintaka is no ebook tyro.Mintaka is no ebook tyro.Mintaka is no ebook tyro.Mintaka is no ebook tyro.Mintaka is no ebook tyro.Mintaka is no ebook tyro.

Device: K2, K3 3G+WiFi, Nexus One (2.2)
I was planning on getting another K2 for my wife and almost bought one when woot had them on-sale. I'm glad I didn't because the K3 was announced shortly thereafter. I jumped at the chance. The higher contrast screen, wi-fi, and the lower price all made it a no-brainer for me.
Mintaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2010, 02:35 PM   #36
kathyfitz
Electronics Whore
kathyfitz doesn't litterkathyfitz doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad, iPad mini, iPhone5, Kindle3
Wi-fi
No more Sprint 3G (no Sprint coverage at my house, I do have AT&T)
Better Screen
Price
Cool Cover

And mine just now arrived! I am so excited!!
kathyfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 03:22 PM   #37
Erinath
Shy Philosopher
Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Nook Simple Touch, Nook HD+ & Kindle Keyboard (wifi only)
Had been toying with the idea for ages, and but in the end the main things that swayed me were:
  • The price dropping
  • Improved PDF support
  • There finally being a UK Kindle store
I was so close to ordering a K2, mainly thanks to a glowing review in Which? magazine, but mainly couldn't justify that much money on something just for me (ie not the kids/family). Hubby saw the price drop the day it was released in the UK & I ordered pretty much straight away.
Erinath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:11 PM   #38
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
I bought the Kindle 1st generation in January 2008. It's been in near-constant use since then and I've purchased 610 books from Amazon, Baen/Webscriptions, Fictionwise, and Smashwords since then. (There were only 284 of them which cost me anything, but these "purchased" books did require me to click a button to buy them.) I've also downloaded all the free books from Baen and more than I can count from MobileRead. I've also graciously accepted the occasional freebie from an author's website or publishers such as TOR, Orbit, or Harlequin.

I read in excess of 100 books each year, and even so have a very large backlog of books that I want to read.

So why did I buy a K3? I didn't like the look or feel of the K2 and my K1 was working so very well that I didn't feel any need to upgrade. But the K3 seems to have overcome my major objections to the K2 and the black/graphite case sealed the deal. I'm anxiously awaiting the change from "Shipping Soon" to "Shipped" in my order status on the Amazon web site. I'm gifting the K1 to my daughter-in-law.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 02:08 AM   #39
Viseguy
Just a kid from Bklyn
Viseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi; Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I never had much interest in ebook readers before K3. What decided me was the combination of lower price point, better screen, smaller footprint, and Wi-Fi. Also, before ordering, I checked out the Nook and was unimpressed by the screen quality and the touch-screen interface. I want a physical keyboard.

Now I'm stoked and can't wait for the K3 to get here (ETA Monday)!

Last edited by Viseguy; 08-28-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Viseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:16 AM   #40
meem
A Reader who can think..!
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi - Kindle DX (B004)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I agree with you entirely, but the one area in which the Gen3 wins is full folder support. That's very, VERY useful if you want to store a lot of books on the device.
Is Kindle 3 supports folders ?!
meem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:19 AM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by meem View Post
Is Kindle 3 supports folders ?!
No, the Kindle 3 does not have folder support. It has "collections", which are tags, but collections are very much inferior to real folders.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:04 AM   #42
SpeckledJim
Enthusiast
SpeckledJim began at the beginning.

Device: K3 WiFi
Price and the updated Pearl screen are the main reasons. I was originally holding out for one of the larger screen devices, not because I needed one, as all my reading is recreational, I just felt larger would be more pleasant. However the larger SiPix screen readers have so far failed to ship, and the DXG just seems way overpriced now, even though it's $110 cheaper than the original DX.

The K3 seems cheap enough that I can make use of it for now, and maybe upgrade to a larger device as and when they seem reasonably priced.
SpeckledJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:15 PM   #43
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
The K3 supports one-level folders called Collections. You can assign books to multiple collections if you wish. For example, you could assign Foundation by Isaac Asimov to both an Asimov collection and a Sci-Fi collection. But you can't have multi-level collections like a Asimov collection and a Foundation Series sub-category.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:31 PM   #44
tommyr
Just add water!
tommyr is no ebook tyro.tommyr is no ebook tyro.tommyr is no ebook tyro.tommyr is no ebook tyro.tommyr is no ebook tyro.tommyr is no ebook tyro.tommyr is no ebook tyro.tommyr is no ebook tyro.tommyr is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle 3
Cost. The price came down to what I finally call "reasonable". I'm sure it'll break the $100 barrier in the next 6 months or so.

Glad I waited as I LOVE the Kindle 3!
tommyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:47 PM   #45
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Pretty sure we'll see a wifi only Kindle for $100 next year, or even Christmas.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote